Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Timelapse and time warp length

[ New ]

Hey everyone. I’m about to buy a GoPro 7 Black. But I have a question. I don’t know why but I can not find the answer to this anywhere..  what is the maximum length you can do a time lapse and time warp? Assuming you have a 256fb Sd card and, external battery connected. Does anyone know? 

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Timelapse and time warp length

[ New ]
Each photo will have a file size around 2.5 MB. So, it really depends on your settings. Obviously a 256GB card will fill up faster with an interval of 0.5 seconds than if the camera is set to take a photo every 60 seconds. If you know what settings you are going to use (shutter speed and interval) and how long you plan to do the time lapse, then you can do the math to know how much storage you need.
Photos per min = x
(if using night lapse, which also works during the day with an auto shutter, then you can have an interval as long as one every 60 minutes. For this, use Photos per hour = x instead)
Desired recording time in minutes (hours for night lapse) = y
(X*Y)*2.5 = z (needed MB for storage)
Z/1024 = needed GB (1024MB per GB)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Re: Timelapse and time warp length

[ New ]
Each photo will have a file size around 2.5 MB. So, it really depends on your settings. Obviously a 256GB card will fill up faster with an interval of 0.5 seconds than if the camera is set to take a photo every 60 seconds. If you know what settings you are going to use (shutter speed and interval) and how long you plan to do the time lapse, then you can do the math to know how much storage you need.
Photos per min = x
(if using night lapse, which also works during the day with an auto shutter, then you can have an interval as long as one every 60 minutes. For this, use Photos per hour = x instead)
Desired recording time in minutes (hours for night lapse) = y
(X*Y)*2.5 = z (needed MB for storage)
Z/1024 = needed GB (1024MB per GB)