Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

Include source code? How? this isn’t an open source project. It would be great if it was.

And having experience on handheld devices for 20 years, I can safely assume that this should be a relatively easy fix.

It’s just that GoPro leaves their customers hanging once they bought one of their products. They simply move on to newer hardware and hope you will follow as well.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15 wrote:

@daniels1265 wrote:

implement a simple fix to a simple problem. 

When you leave your feedback for GoPro, please be sure to include your source code (I'm pretty sure if you write the code in C or C+ it will be easier for them to utilize it) for implementing the simple fix (I assume that since you confidently know that it is merely a "simple fix", it must be from first hand knowledge that you have come to this conclusion).

Enough with the smugness.

Compared to all the source code running on the GoPro, implementing a function to lower power draw between still shots would be extremely simple. Nobody has to write that code from scratch to prove this. Writing code from scratch wouldn't do any good, or be possible anyway. This would need to be a modification to the existing code, which as was pointed out, is not public. 

My Hero 5 Black is a nice piece of hardware, but the complete lack of support has soured me on GoPro entirely. They have proven that they don't care about refining and optimizing the current hardware platform to provide the best user experience. They instead focus only on developing the next piece of hardware, trying to force too fast of a product replacement cycle.

I can't say that I will never buy another GoPro product, but my opinion of the company has shifted substantially, and I am much less likely now.

Highlighted
Explorer

@reuf 

You can find info here 

A lot of the code is open source.

Highlighted
Explorer

@fiveoh86 wrote:

They instead focus only on developing the next piece of hardware

Unfortunately, this has proven necessary to stay in business.  The current tech market seems to demand a new product yearly.  Phones are an excellent example of this.  GoPro experienced a massive decline in sales when they didn't release a new camera the year between the HERO4 and HERO5.  While this did allow them to add new features to the HERO4, they took a significant hit financially.  Nick Woodman, CEO has stated that they learned an important lesson that their customers expect a new camera every year.

Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 not sure what that repo is, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the firmware source :)

Regarding your phone comparison: phones get updates all the time. I still use my 3 year old iPhone and it gets most of the updates that the newer phones get too.

GoPro on the other hand releases a product and just one firmware update if you are lucky. And that’s it. Abandon ship, they move on the the next iteration.

See the differences?
Highlighted
Tourist

Daniel15,  

A few years back it was found that the GoPro 3/3+ would run an autoexec.ash file if present on the sd card.  That is the closest I have ever got to be able to mod the programming of the camera alongside the firmware.  

I am with quickstorm1185 on the fact that it is an easy fix.  But the repo you sent us to does not have the firmware to play around with.  I am not sure we would need to modify the firmware anyway.  We would only need to run a program alongside the existing software.  But it is closed and I am willing to bet that after the GoPro hero upgrade to GoPro hero5 fiasco a few years back that GoPro is never going to release it.  

The slowdown in GoPro sales a few years back was closely correlated with the release of action cameras by Runcam and YI. I have a few runcams myself. But you are correct that they are not as good as present-day GoPros. But they held their own compared to the Season a few years ago. They did so well in fact that GoPro sued Runcam and got them to stop making them.

I am sorry but the truth hurts sometimes. Competition is never bad.

It occurs to me that you must post here on this forum 9 times a day. Or at least have done so for the last 3 years straight. Please keep it up, there must still be a few of us that have not been educated yet.