Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

I submitted a request, that's a great idea and I think I would use it. 

I'm sure you have thought of this, but many people use an external power bank to get longer time lapses. It's not waterproof withought some rigging, but the 5 can't have a backpack, so that's really the only other option. 

Here's to hoping for another solution. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

I know this isnt the solution you are looking for and it is still a few months out but this should help.

https://www.bluenook.com/products/extended-battery-for-gopro-hero5-black

Highlighted
Tourist

I have had the same question for ages.

+ Hero4 heating up when not even capturing (it means its using heaps of energy doing nothing)- so many issues! I will NEVER buy or recommend a gopro again. Most of its work is done better by my phone and the rest is not worth paying the premium for :(
Highlighted
Sightseer

+1 for this, I'll be raising a support ticket too.

Most processing power is surely used in the capture, encoding and writing of image data - not idling between shots. There's clearly some inefficient power management for the time lapse modes.

I've bought a Hero5 Session and 2 x Hero5 Blacks for work, where timelapse is absolutely vital (outdoor engineering and construction projects). I'm getting just over an hour from the Sessions, and 3 hours from the Blacks (same as you), for time lapse photos at 5 second intervals. This simply isn't long enough for what I need.

I too believe that firmware could and should fix this.

Highlighted
Tourist

Joining you in this thread cause I'm encountering the same issue. At least they should try to fix it in the time lapse photo mode, that is not a video and they can for sure improve battery life
Highlighted
Sightseer

So disappointed to hear this because one of the main reasons we bought this camera was to use the time lapse during our kitchen remodel and especially our demo over this next weekend. I hope they can do something to fix this!
Highlighted
Tourist

If I’m using power bank while recording time-lapse, is there any problem on the GoPro 6 ?
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi everybody, I also bought Hero 6 black and though I will actually update my previous black 5. So my huge cycas plant sprouted few new leaves (who knows cycas, that you know it is great for timelapse). I set 60 s interval and was VERY disappointed to learn that only 4 seconds have been actually recorded! I urge you to do something about this, I am sure you can work out some power management fix, the camera does not have to process anything while it is IDLE between each of the frames!