Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

[ New ]

I have taken a number of time lapse videos now with my Hero 5 Black. All have been in 4K, with wifi disabled and have run from 100% battery to shut down. The first two were run with a 5 second interval and had run times just shy of 3 hours.

Today, I set up another one. This time with the interval bumped to 30 seconds and hoping to catch a longer period of time. I was pretty disappointed to find a 0:10 second video clip on the lifeless GoPro. This means that it only ran for 2.5 hours before shutting down. When you consider the fact that it only had to do actual capture work for about 10 seconds total, the rest of the time only needing to be a simple timer, that is dismal.

I really think there is a ton of room for improvement here with a future firmware release. The camera should be able to go into a low power mode between intervals and really stretch out the battery life. 

Anonymous

Re: Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

[ New ]

I tested Time Lapse Photo mode today, hoping that it would improve battery life.

Nope.

With a 10 second interval, and fully charged battery, it shot 1078 frames. So 3 hours of runtime. I am hopeful that they can fix this in a future update, because of the battery life during video.

Take 4K 30 fps for example: 1.5 hrs = 90 minutes = 5400 seconds = 162,000 frames recorded. This is 160 times the number of frames recorded in my time lapse, which makes the time lapse performance look terrible.

Pretty pretty please GoPro, improve this for us! 2-3 hours is not enough life for time lapses!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

No one else cares about this? Come on, I can't be alone on this!

I submitted via support and was told my comments will be forwarded to the engineering team. One person asking for something doesn't have much hope, so I urge everyone to take a minute and submit this request here:

https://gopro.com/help/contact?issuesubtype=HERO5+Black&issueType=Technical+Support

Something along these lines:

"Please develop a way to reduce power consumption in time lapse modes. The battery life is almost the same when shooting video or time lapse, despite far less data captured in time lapse."

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, but i'm still waiting for a decent new firmware with a lot of fixed problems...actually my hero5 is filled by issues and lack any kind  of  power optimization...

Andrea

Nomad

[ New ]

The camera is ON regardless of shooting timelapse or video, thus battery life is the same.

Be eure to disable WiFi, might give you some more minutes

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, I am aware. That's what my posts are trying to show with actual numbers. 

I'm making the case that it doesn't HAVE to be on when waiting for the next interval. It can power down all non critical components while it counts to the next interval. This would increase battery life a huge amount.

Wifi is off in my tests. I mentioned that in the second sentance of my first post. Voice control off too, but no real difference there.

Help out the cause and submit a "support ticket"

Hiker

[ New ]

Timelapse video is not a fastest video; Timelapse it's a frame every 'x' seconds....same exposure, iso etc...leave the CMOS ON all the time is a non-sense procedure; the timelapse-video mode create e video using internal software rotuines; if i need a frame every 30 secondi gopro should turn on the sensor, grab the image,store it to the main stream then TURN OFF the CMOS again...and repeat until the battery collapse

Andrea

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

@andregixxer wrote:

Timelapse video is not a fastest video; Timelapse it's a frame every 'x' seconds....same exposure, iso etc...leave the CMOS ON all the time is a non-sense procedure; the timelapse-video mode create e video using internal software rotuines; if i need a frame every 30 secondi gopro should turn on the sensor, grab the image,store it to the main stream then TURN OFF the CMOS again...and repeat until the battery collapse

Andrea

Exactly

Nomad

[ New ]

I submitted a request, that's a great idea and I think I would use it. 

I'm sure you have thought of this, but many people use an external power bank to get longer time lapses. It's not waterproof withought some rigging, but the 5 can't have a backpack, so that's really the only other option. 

Here's to hoping for another solution. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I know this isnt the solution you are looking for and it is still a few months out but this should help.

https://www.bluenook.com/products/extended-battery-for-gopro-hero5-black

Tourist

[ New ]
I have had the same question for ages.

+ Hero4 heating up when not even capturing (it means its using heaps of energy doing nothing)- so many issues! I will NEVER buy or recommend a gopro again. Most of its work is done better by my phone and the rest is not worth paying the premium for :(
Anonymous

[ New ]

+1 for this, I'll be raising a support ticket too.

Most processing power is surely used in the capture, encoding and writing of image data - not idling between shots. There's clearly some inefficient power management for the time lapse modes.

I've bought a Hero5 Session and 2 x Hero5 Blacks for work, where timelapse is absolutely vital (outdoor engineering and construction projects). I'm getting just over an hour from the Sessions, and 3 hours from the Blacks (same as you), for time lapse photos at 5 second intervals. This simply isn't long enough for what I need.

I too believe that firmware could and should fix this.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Joining you in this thread cause I'm encountering the same issue. At least they should try to fix it in the time lapse photo mode, that is not a video and they can for sure improve battery life
Anonymous

[ New ]
So disappointed to hear this because one of the main reasons we bought this camera was to use the time lapse during our kitchen remodel and especially our demo over this next weekend. I hope they can do something to fix this!
Anonymous

[ New ]
If I’m using power bank while recording time-lapse, is there any problem on the GoPro 6 ?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi everybody, I also bought Hero 6 black and though I will actually update my previous black 5. So my huge cycas plant sprouted few new leaves (who knows cycas, that you know it is great for timelapse). I set 60 s interval and was VERY disappointed to learn that only 4 seconds have been actually recorded! I urge you to do something about this, I am sure you can work out some power management fix, the camera does not have to process anything while it is IDLE between each of the frames! 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi there,

I did some timings as well with my new GoPro 6 (received yesterday) and new battery fully charged at 100%. I set the timelapse mode to photo, interval 10s, resolution 1080p with Linear view and shot only photos during the night. All black images. So there was nothing fancy to process.

When I woke up this morning, the battery was dead and I found out that it had captured 2 clips: one containing 994 photos and one containing 111, a total of just 1105. Not sure why GoPro decided to make 2 clips instead of just one, but perhaps that's some size limit.

Anyway those 1105 images is similar to what was reported earlier by @Anonymous . It means the battery survived for only 11.050 seconds (just 3 hours), before dying. 3 hours is not very useful for a long bikeride or as mentioned here: watching a plant grow :)

I will retry tonight with a longer interval, 60s, to see if that makes any significant difference. If it does, we can blame the processing. If it doesn't make any difference, we can blame ineffecient way the GoPro uses the Timelapse Mode by not powering down various components during the interval. If 10s isn't long enough for those components to be powered down, surely 60s should be.

I'll report back when I got those timings.

Hiker

[ New ]
More info! So I did a time lapse with an interval of 60 seconds to see if the processing could be the cause of the battery drain. Obviously a lot less has to be processed per second if you only take an image every 60 seconds, as opposed to every 10 seconds.

Again I took the pictures with Timelapse Photo mode on a GoPro 6, no WiFi, only black images, linear mode, full 100% battery, empty SD card and interval 60 seconds.

Result? I ended up with 182 pictures.

Meaning that the battery lasted 10.920 seconds. Almost identical to the 10 seconds interval test (11.050 seconds)

So with 6 times less pictures, 6 times less image processing and SD card writes, the battery still lasts only 3 hours.

That result is pretty clear: the processing doesn’t seem to affect the battery life much (if any at all).

Which leaves me only one conclusion: there is no proper power optimization done in that timelapse mode. Nothing is shut down to save power and with an interval of 60 seconds I’m sure at least something should be possible?! Instead the camera just stays on with all required components powered on. This explains the identical battery lifetime of 3 hours.

Any optimizations in that area would make timelapse ever so much more useful. Especially since for the GoPro 6 it isn’t possible to add an external power source without losing the waterproof. This limitation basically means that a long exposure night timelapse or a long bikeride timelapse is useless on the GoPro 6. You have two options: a very short timelapse (3 hours) or risk a broken GoPro when it suddenly starts to rain.

So please GoPro programmers, do some optimizations here. I can’t imagine that being so hard in this situation. Just shut down a few power consuming components and depending on the interval time, I’m sure you can shut down even more.

Meanwhile I talked to GoPro support about this and they would forward this thread to the dev team. Let’s hope someone is reading.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Does anyone know if there has been any sort of update involving this issue? Had a similar dissapointing experience with the hero 5 Black trying to do a timlapse of plants growing...

Explorer

[ New ]
There hasn't been a firmware update released.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Any ideas when it’ll happen? This is crazy. In certain situations a battery pack isn’t possible, like a sunset with GoPro Hero clamped to a railing in a 100% humidity area.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, the best way to do a time lapse is to unhook the charging door and charge while recording. It done in a dry place its perfectly fine tho for doing one of the star people reccomend using
https://www.amazon.com/X-PWR-H5-All-Weather-External-Power-GoPro/dp/B078JZWYKK/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF...

As when the charging door is removed it is no longer waterproof against few and what not
Sightseer

[ New ]

First Time GoPro User: 

I use an externam mount to put my gopro on the underwing of my Mooney (Plane) and catch in flight footage. 

Time lapse battery extending features would be amazing for any longer flight, allowing me to capture a more complete flight while maintaining remote control of the camera via WiFi... 

Battery pack that isn't water proof and plugging in are definitely not options here...

Just adding my vote to this request. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @95quebec

Thanks for choosing GoPro to capture great moments!

We appreciate your suggestion, we'll have this sent to the right team.

Please continue to check our website for update.

Regards,

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

Yes, but the thing is millions of costumers expending more money to supply what they should do in a firmware update. 
They really doesn't care. 

I'm SO dissapointed with GoPro. 

Hiker

[ New ]
It’s been almost a year since the last firmware update. And since then my hero 6 still crashes unexpectedly a lot. It has obvious bugs like I cannot enter a WiFi SSID. It still has the unoptimized time lapse mode. Night lapse (filming a starry sky) is a joke. And I’m pretty sure a lot of the features for the hero 7 could be directly translated to the 6 as well.

But GoPro has been silent. I suspect they rather want you to buy a new product, instead of properly supporting older ones like any proper tech company will do.

I am truly disappointed with them.
Tourist

[ New ]

I would not recommend a GoPro for timelapse.  If you are into that get a used cheap Canon DSLR like an SL1/100D on the cheap end or a used 6D in the middle of the cost chart.  Then install Magic Lantern (ML)(https://builds.magiclantern.fm) on it.  Canon stock lens are great for time lapses.  They can stand up to 100,000 plus aperture actuations. The batteries will last 3-5 hours at around one frame every 1-5 seconds.  The 6D and T3i-T5i DSLRs have the best support for ML. With a DLSR you will have fine control over the camera functions like aperture, shutter speed and ISO among other things.

The GoPro stays on for the entire time the camera is taking photos. Meaning that the batteries life is going to be the same for video and time lapses. I agree that is a very easy fix in firmware but I guess the engineers here at GoPro are just not up to the challenge.

Let's face it, GoPro was innovative until they had competition from other more experienced companies. Now they seem to be cowering in the corner muttering to themselves that "these users just don't know what it takes, we know better". And all the while ignoring a 2-year-old thread about their failure. I was going to go out and get a GoPro for an underwater time lapse on a diving trip I have coming up. Now I think I will just get a dive enclosure for my Canon.

Explorer

[ New ]
@daniels1265
"more experienced companies"

Kindly provide the link to these companies that are creating action cameras with ALL of the same level (or better) features. including:
Hypersmooth stabilization and TimeWarp function, 4K/60fps, 1080p/240fps, 2.7K/120fps, RAW photo, RAW .wav audio files, Zoom, countdown time, Auto Uploading to cloud service, live streaming, Super Photo, Protune settings, Auto Burst mode, GPS data, replaceable protective lens, HDR photo, Reduced rolling shutter, Voice commands in ten languages including turning the camera on, touch screen LCD, touch exposure balance, spot metering, 5GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection, GP1 processor, HDMI output, USB-C connection with fast charging, Time Lapse, Night Photo, Time Lapse Video, Night Lapse, Gyro data, Vetical shooting in video and Photo, Auto Rotate, Auto Quik story transfer and creation, smile and scene detection, Interval (looping)) recording, Wind Reduction Audio, Stereo Audio, Continuous Photo mode, water channel draining of mic inputs, 16:9 and 4:3 recording, Linear FOV, Superview, HEVC or H.264 + HEVC video compression, 30/1 second Burst photos, 20dB boost external mic option, line-level output from other audio
equipment (mixing board, guitar preamplifier,
karaoke machine, etc.), on camera playback with audio, Quick Capture video, Quick capture time lapse, AND all in a small, rugged and Waterproof design. And all for less than $349.99. Oh, and if they also provide unlimited cloud storage, 50% off of accessories, and up to two camera replacements a year, that would be great!

Clearly GoPro is just cowering in the corner, so obviously there must be many of these cameras that exceed all of the features I mentioned above. I look forward to your link to the device that not only has, but exceeds, all of these features for the same (or less) price.
Tourist

[ New ]

Danielr15, I think it is clear from my post that I can't see the forest through the trees. But it looks like all you can see is the forest. My post was meant to draw attention from someone with the power to implement a simple fix to a simple problem. But all you have to talk about is what you have done right. As I stated in my prior post you are "cowering in the corner muttering to themselves that "these users just don't know what it takes, we know better"". If you are able to fix the problem fix it. If not I think it would be in your best interest not to draw attention to your failure to fix a simple problem by continuing to post here, at least until you have fixed the problem.

Explorer

[ New ]
@daniels1265
Actually, in my post I am seeing each individual tree in the forest and pointing out the unique feature of each. You, however, are focused on one tree and want to set the whole forest ablaze because it does not meet your every expectation.

Of course, your statement, "GoPro was innovative until they had competition from other more experienced companies" is much more broad than just focusing on time lapse (and I am interested in learning more about all those companies that have caused GoPro to stop innovating -- although I'm pretty sure the features I listed are pretty innovative).

You clearly think very highly of yourself and so I don't want to say anything that might upset that perception. Sure, your post have contain ridiculous and inflammatory remarks, but I will not dwell on those.

However, I do think it's important that I educate you before you make any more silly statements based on wrong assumptions.

This is a community support site designed for member to member participation and sharing of tips, tricks, and solutions.

I do not work for GoPro.

If an employee of GoPro does choose to engage in the forum, they have a tag of Moderator and label of GoPro. However, even if they do, they are Moderators. While they might be able to forward your suggestions to the engineering team, it is very doubtful that they would be directly involved in designing or implementing any "fixes".

To leave feedback for GoPro, you can do that here https://gopro.com/feedback
Explorer

[ New ]

@daniels1265 wrote:

implement a simple fix to a simple problem. 

When you leave your feedback for GoPro, please be sure to include your source code (I'm pretty sure if you write the code in C or C+ it will be easier for them to utilize it) for implementing the simple fix (I assume that since you confidently know that it is merely a "simple fix", it must be from first hand knowledge that you have come to this conclusion).

Hiker

[ New ]
Include source code? How? this isn’t an open source project. It would be great if it was.

And having experience on handheld devices for 20 years, I can safely assume that this should be a relatively easy fix.

It’s just that GoPro leaves their customers hanging once they bought one of their products. They simply move on to newer hardware and hope you will follow as well.
Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:

@daniels1265 wrote:

implement a simple fix to a simple problem. 

When you leave your feedback for GoPro, please be sure to include your source code (I'm pretty sure if you write the code in C or C+ it will be easier for them to utilize it) for implementing the simple fix (I assume that since you confidently know that it is merely a "simple fix", it must be from first hand knowledge that you have come to this conclusion).

Enough with the smugness.

Compared to all the source code running on the GoPro, implementing a function to lower power draw between still shots would be extremely simple. Nobody has to write that code from scratch to prove this. Writing code from scratch wouldn't do any good, or be possible anyway. This would need to be a modification to the existing code, which as was pointed out, is not public. 

My Hero 5 Black is a nice piece of hardware, but the complete lack of support has soured me on GoPro entirely. They have proven that they don't care about refining and optimizing the current hardware platform to provide the best user experience. They instead focus only on developing the next piece of hardware, trying to force too fast of a product replacement cycle.

I can't say that I will never buy another GoPro product, but my opinion of the company has shifted substantially, and I am much less likely now.

Explorer

[ New ]

@reuf 

You can find info here 

A lot of the code is open source.

Explorer

[ New ]

@fiveoh86 wrote:

They instead focus only on developing the next piece of hardware

Unfortunately, this has proven necessary to stay in business.  The current tech market seems to demand a new product yearly.  Phones are an excellent example of this.  GoPro experienced a massive decline in sales when they didn't release a new camera the year between the HERO4 and HERO5.  While this did allow them to add new features to the HERO4, they took a significant hit financially.  Nick Woodman, CEO has stated that they learned an important lesson that their customers expect a new camera every year.

Hiker

[ New ]
@danielr15 not sure what that repo is, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the firmware source :)

Regarding your phone comparison: phones get updates all the time. I still use my 3 year old iPhone and it gets most of the updates that the newer phones get too.

GoPro on the other hand releases a product and just one firmware update if you are lucky. And that’s it. Abandon ship, they move on the the next iteration.

See the differences?
Tourist

[ New ]

Daniel15,  

A few years back it was found that the GoPro 3/3+ would run an autoexec.ash file if present on the sd card.  That is the closest I have ever got to be able to mod the programming of the camera alongside the firmware.  

I am with quickstorm1185 on the fact that it is an easy fix.  But the repo you sent us to does not have the firmware to play around with.  I am not sure we would need to modify the firmware anyway.  We would only need to run a program alongside the existing software.  But it is closed and I am willing to bet that after the GoPro hero upgrade to GoPro hero5 fiasco a few years back that GoPro is never going to release it.  

The slowdown in GoPro sales a few years back was closely correlated with the release of action cameras by Runcam and YI. I have a few runcams myself. But you are correct that they are not as good as present-day GoPros. But they held their own compared to the Season a few years ago. They did so well in fact that GoPro sued Runcam and got them to stop making them.

I am sorry but the truth hurts sometimes. Competition is never bad.

It occurs to me that you must post here on this forum 9 times a day. Or at least have done so for the last 3 years straight. Please keep it up, there must still be a few of us that have not been educated yet.