Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

I have taken a number of time lapse videos now with my Hero 5 Black. All have been in 4K, with wifi disabled and have run from 100% battery to shut down. The first two were run with a 5 second interval and had run times just shy of 3 hours.

Today, I set up another one. This time with the interval bumped to 30 seconds and hoping to catch a longer period of time. I was pretty disappointed to find a 0:10 second video clip on the lifeless GoPro. This means that it only ran for 2.5 hours before shutting down. When you consider the fact that it only had to do actual capture work for about 10 seconds total, the rest of the time only needing to be a simple timer, that is dismal.

I really think there is a ton of room for improvement here with a future firmware release. The camera should be able to go into a low power mode between intervals and really stretch out the battery life. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

I tested Time Lapse Photo mode today, hoping that it would improve battery life.

Nope.

With a 10 second interval, and fully charged battery, it shot 1078 frames. So 3 hours of runtime. I am hopeful that they can fix this in a future update, because of the battery life during video.

Take 4K 30 fps for example: 1.5 hrs = 90 minutes = 5400 seconds = 162,000 frames recorded. This is 160 times the number of frames recorded in my time lapse, which makes the time lapse performance look terrible.

Pretty pretty please GoPro, improve this for us! 2-3 hours is not enough life for time lapses!!

Highlighted
Anonymous

No one else cares about this? Come on, I can't be alone on this!

I submitted via support and was told my comments will be forwarded to the engineering team. One person asking for something doesn't have much hope, so I urge everyone to take a minute and submit this request here:

https://gopro.com/help/contact?issuesubtype=HERO5+Black&issueType=Technical+Support

Something along these lines:

"Please develop a way to reduce power consumption in time lapse modes. The battery life is almost the same when shooting video or time lapse, despite far less data captured in time lapse."

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Yes, but i'm still waiting for a decent new firmware with a lot of fixed problems...actually my hero5 is filled by issues and lack any kind  of  power optimization...

Andrea

Highlighted
Nomad

The camera is ON regardless of shooting timelapse or video, thus battery life is the same.

Be eure to disable WiFi, might give you some more minutes

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, I am aware. That's what my posts are trying to show with actual numbers. 

I'm making the case that it doesn't HAVE to be on when waiting for the next interval. It can power down all non critical components while it counts to the next interval. This would increase battery life a huge amount.

Wifi is off in my tests. I mentioned that in the second sentance of my first post. Voice control off too, but no real difference there.

Help out the cause and submit a "support ticket"

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Timelapse video is not a fastest video; Timelapse it's a frame every 'x' seconds....same exposure, iso etc...leave the CMOS ON all the time is a non-sense procedure; the timelapse-video mode create e video using internal software rotuines; if i need a frame every 30 secondi gopro should turn on the sensor, grab the image,store it to the main stream then TURN OFF the CMOS again...and repeat until the battery collapse

Andrea

Highlighted
Anonymous

@andregixxer wrote:

Timelapse video is not a fastest video; Timelapse it's a frame every 'x' seconds....same exposure, iso etc...leave the CMOS ON all the time is a non-sense procedure; the timelapse-video mode create e video using internal software rotuines; if i need a frame every 30 secondi gopro should turn on the sensor, grab the image,store it to the main stream then TURN OFF the CMOS again...and repeat until the battery collapse

Andrea

Exactly