Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Time Lapse Video: Battery Life

Hi there,

I did some timings as well with my new GoPro 6 (received yesterday) and new battery fully charged at 100%. I set the timelapse mode to photo, interval 10s, resolution 1080p with Linear view and shot only photos during the night. All black images. So there was nothing fancy to process.

When I woke up this morning, the battery was dead and I found out that it had captured 2 clips: one containing 994 photos and one containing 111, a total of just 1105. Not sure why GoPro decided to make 2 clips instead of just one, but perhaps that's some size limit.

Anyway those 1105 images is similar to what was reported earlier by @Anonymous . It means the battery survived for only 11.050 seconds (just 3 hours), before dying. 3 hours is not very useful for a long bikeride or as mentioned here: watching a plant grow :)

I will retry tonight with a longer interval, 60s, to see if that makes any significant difference. If it does, we can blame the processing. If it doesn't make any difference, we can blame ineffecient way the GoPro uses the Timelapse Mode by not powering down various components during the interval. If 10s isn't long enough for those components to be powered down, surely 60s should be.

I'll report back when I got those timings.

Highlighted
Hiker

More info! So I did a time lapse with an interval of 60 seconds to see if the processing could be the cause of the battery drain. Obviously a lot less has to be processed per second if you only take an image every 60 seconds, as opposed to every 10 seconds.

Again I took the pictures with Timelapse Photo mode on a GoPro 6, no WiFi, only black images, linear mode, full 100% battery, empty SD card and interval 60 seconds.

Result? I ended up with 182 pictures.

Meaning that the battery lasted 10.920 seconds. Almost identical to the 10 seconds interval test (11.050 seconds)

So with 6 times less pictures, 6 times less image processing and SD card writes, the battery still lasts only 3 hours.

That result is pretty clear: the processing doesn’t seem to affect the battery life much (if any at all).

Which leaves me only one conclusion: there is no proper power optimization done in that timelapse mode. Nothing is shut down to save power and with an interval of 60 seconds I’m sure at least something should be possible?! Instead the camera just stays on with all required components powered on. This explains the identical battery lifetime of 3 hours.

Any optimizations in that area would make timelapse ever so much more useful. Especially since for the GoPro 6 it isn’t possible to add an external power source without losing the waterproof. This limitation basically means that a long exposure night timelapse or a long bikeride timelapse is useless on the GoPro 6. You have two options: a very short timelapse (3 hours) or risk a broken GoPro when it suddenly starts to rain.

So please GoPro programmers, do some optimizations here. I can’t imagine that being so hard in this situation. Just shut down a few power consuming components and depending on the interval time, I’m sure you can shut down even more.

Meanwhile I talked to GoPro support about this and they would forward this thread to the dev team. Let’s hope someone is reading.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Does anyone know if there has been any sort of update involving this issue? Had a similar dissapointing experience with the hero 5 Black trying to do a timlapse of plants growing...

Highlighted
Explorer

There hasn't been a firmware update released.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Any ideas when it’ll happen? This is crazy. In certain situations a battery pack isn’t possible, like a sunset with GoPro Hero clamped to a railing in a 100% humidity area.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, the best way to do a time lapse is to unhook the charging door and charge while recording. It done in a dry place its perfectly fine tho for doing one of the star people reccomend using
https://www.amazon.com/X-PWR-H5-All-Weather-External-Power-GoPro/dp/B078JZWYKK/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF...

As when the charging door is removed it is no longer waterproof against few and what not
Highlighted
Sightseer

First Time GoPro User: 

I use an externam mount to put my gopro on the underwing of my Mooney (Plane) and catch in flight footage. 

Time lapse battery extending features would be amazing for any longer flight, allowing me to capture a more complete flight while maintaining remote control of the camera via WiFi... 

Battery pack that isn't water proof and plugging in are definitely not options here...

Just adding my vote to this request. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @95quebec

Thanks for choosing GoPro to capture great moments!

We appreciate your suggestion, we'll have this sent to the right team.

Please continue to check our website for update.

Regards,

Ej