Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Time Lapse SD Card Error Silver 4

I have the same problem, I have a gopro black edition bought a month ago, if I do videos it's fine, single shot, still fine, but when I do a night lapse at 2 min or 5 min intervals I get an sd error but i don't 27 shots I get 12 or 8. I'll get the same error if I use it on other modes until I reformat it on a pc not using quick format. Sd error persist if I format from the gopro or when I use quick format on pc. Oddly though it was fine the first couple of times I did it, I just don't remember if it was before or after I upgraded the firmware.
Tourist

SO many people reporting the same problem, so little response from gopro! 

Anonymous

They have a problem with update bug. I find the solution yesterday. You must downdate your GoPro to 1.02v and after download new update from gopro.com 3.0v with bug fix. Without downdate it's not be able to fix problem. Now my camera is run propertly

Anonymous

had the same issues, happy to report that gopro has replaced my unit. and everything seems to work very well.

Explorer

@Anonymous

Where did you find the solution and how where you able to get your camera on 1.02v?

Please post so that others can see how to do it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tourist

I'm not going to risk updating to firmware 3.0 till we see something (in a few years time?) from gopro that proves the issue is resolved. I'll stay with my downgraded firmware for now.

Tourist

Hello everyone,

i have to say that the problem we are discussing here was on my camera solved by buying new (faster) memory card. Before i did not have some **bleep**ty one. Samsung Evo 32GB Class 10 UHS-I. Ok, maybe not a good one but in New Zealand still pretty expensive and i thought it is gonna be fast enough for Hero 4 Silver :D  Even shop assistant recommended it to me. New card is micro sdxc Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB UHS-I (U3) Class 10. Pretty good and fast card. Not on the list of the cards recommended and tested by GoPro but I risked it. But still i did not believe it will solve the problem. But...It did! So rather check one more time what card do you have in your GoPro. I know many of you have the fast ones so the problem is most likely with the camera but still...Good Luck!

Tourist

You got it. That is the solution. You need to downgrade the firmware (I did it to 2.0) and then upgrade again, and it fixes the problem. I just fixed it. 

As reference for future readers, this is my case:

- I have a Silver 4, bought in Dec. 2013

- Everything went fine with it until early August, when I upgraded firmware (not sure which one I had, but I believe I had never upgraded since when I bought the camera)

- After the upgrade, the camera crashed when doing timelapse at 2 sec or lower frequencies (5, 10 sec). Usually it happened after taking the 26th or 27th picture. The pictures were actually not lost but the machine would not operate until I turned it off and on again. When crashing, it would show the "SD card error" text on the screen

- My SD cards were fine. They were the same ones I had successfully used since the purchase and were (are still) on the list of approved cards. Still, I reformatted them and reset the camera many times, without success. I also upgraded the camera, again, to the last firmware on gopro's site, without success as well. 

- I read here your comment and went to look for an older firmware. I did not find it in gopro's site, but ended up finding it somewhere else on the internet. To avoid any issues, I manually did the downgrade and upgrade (you need to put create an UPDATE folder in an SD card, copy the firmware files in it, and put the SD back into the camera). 

- After downgrading, the camera was already doing timelapse properly. I upgraded again to the latest version and the timelapse seems to be working fine (at least it has successfully passed the dreaded 27-27 pictures mark).

Hope this helps