Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Time Lapse SD Card Error Silver 4

Mine locks up on pic 27, so I get 26 pics.  Is that your lock up?  I sent in my warranty info. and address for RMA# 3-4 days ago, and haven't heard anything back from Go Pro, so if anyone on Go Pro can respond to this post I'd appreciate an update.  Sounds like it's a problem they are aware of, so contact Go Pro Support and get the ball rolling.  So far I'm not impressed with the response by Go Pro on any Warranty issue. 

Anonymous

I've done extensive testing with multiple SanDisk Extreme cards and found it happens for me on pic 26, after pic 26 loads it locks up on pic 27.  Clear it and start it again and locks up on pic 52 etc.  I contacted Support and they said to send my Go Pro back and it would be replaced.  Waiting on a return# after 4 days.  I did different tests with multiple settings and didn't matter with the timing settings for mine.  I found if I did a card Format on my laptop, put the clean card back in my Silver and recorded some video it would work doing a time lapse about every other time.  I haven't found a realiable work around though, so I'm sending mine back.  

GoPro

@Anonymous

Thank you for posting back. I just read through your Customer Support case and it looks like there have been some delays in response on both sides. We definitely want to give you service that will help to provide a resolution in this case. I'm going to take over your case personally to make sure we get you helped out in an expedient manner. 

For anyone else who may be experiencing this issue with their camera, I assure you it is not normal or expected behavior. I currently have my own HERO4 Silver running a time-lapse with a 5 second interval on my desk and it's continuing on without any sort of problem. The best thing to do is to make certain you are using a recommended SD card from the list HERE and running an installation of the latest firmware on the camera. Even if you already have the most recent firmware version, you'll still want to re-install. You can do this through the manual process in the link below:

Manual Firmware Update

If neither of those steps work to resolve this problem, please reach out to the Support Team either by phone, email, or chat. 

I hope that helps!

Best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Tourist

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine locks up on pic 27, so I get 26 pics.  Is that your lock up?  I sent in my warranty info. and address for RMA# 3-4 days ago, and haven't heard anything back from Go Pro, so if anyone on Go Pro can respond to this post I'd appreciate an update.  Sounds like it's a problem they are aware of, so contact Go Pro Support and get the ball rolling.  So far I'm not impressed with the response by Go Pro on any Warranty issue. 

yes that's exactly it. not a very long timelapse with 26 pics is it. But try timelapse with 1 pic every 1 sec or 0.5 sec. It works for me.

Anonymous

Thanks, I tried various timing and settings.  Sometimes it would work and most times not.  I couldn't get a consistent fix or cause.  I found if I formatted the card outside the camera then started a video and recorded a few seconds then switched to Time Lapse mode I could make it work about 90% of the time. Last week I had a gorgeous sunset coming up, did the above fix, started the Time Lapse.  Went past 26 pics to 71, so figured it was good.  Stopped the time lapse and setup the camera on the beach.  Started the time lapse and saw it counting up from 71, so figured it was good.  Came back 2 hrs or so later and it had locked up after 26 pics!.......Should have known better to check it again.  Very frustrating. 

Anonymous

Hello,

I encouter the same problem with my Silver 4 camera (SD ERR message after the camera took 26-27 pictures in time-lapse mode)

I am discussing by e-mail with a person from the GoPro support and will let you know if I have a concrete solution.

After reading the different posts, it seems clear that there is a link between the issue and the latest firmware version. I am convinced that GoPro is the most reliable camera you can find on the market so I would hardly believe that the developpers left or will leave such a bug in the this 03.00 firmware version. The best thing I could hear now is a confirmation of an update firmware release that will solve the problem.

GoPro

@Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear you're running into a similar problem. As I posted earlier in this thread, this problem is not occurring on my camera, which also has the most up to date firmware. 

Definitely let us know how it goes with the Support Agent you're working with. Hopefully they can get the problem straightened out for you. 

Best, 

Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator
Tourist

So here my frustrating update:

I got the advice of the Gopro Support to return it to the Retailer for the quickest results. So they sent it attached with the Email exchange that I had with Gopro support to the GoPro Service Centre in Liechtenstein/Switzerland and  3 weeks late I receive the same Camera back. No note, no explanation, guy at the Retailer couldn't say what they did. So I try it again, and NOTHING has f******* changed! 

I am going crazy!

So I write back to Gopro support, to ask for their help and I receive today the answer that maybe it could be my SD card..

I mean I have explained this now 100 times, that it is NOT the SD Card.

1) I exchanged my 64 GB card to a different 64GB card

2) Exchanged 64 GB card to 2 different 32GB cards (according to sources that say, that GoPro has troubles with 64GB cards

3) I tried friends' memory cards with my Camera

and most frustrating:

4) LOGIC!!

It makes NO sense that I can take +4000 pics at a timelapse with 1pic every 0.5sec & 1 sec but that these problems only appear when I set it to every 2, 5… 30 sec! It always stops on the 27th picture!!
The SD cards are writing +85 MB/s and I can’t even take 1 pic at 5MB every 30 seconds. That makes it like 150 KB/s!  How can this be a SD card problem?

I think it is time that GoPro FINALLY acknowledges this problem!

Cheers