Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Time Lapse SD Card Error Silver 4

[ New ]

They have a problem with update bug. I find the solution yesterday. You must downdate your GoPro to 1.02v and after download new update from gopro.com 3.0v with bug fix. Without downdate it's not be able to fix problem. Now my camera is run propertly

Anonymous

[ New ]

had the same issues, happy to report that gopro has replaced my unit. and everything seems to work very well.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Where did you find the solution and how where you able to get your camera on 1.02v?

Please post so that others can see how to do it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm not going to risk updating to firmware 3.0 till we see something (in a few years time?) from gopro that proves the issue is resolved. I'll stay with my downgraded firmware for now.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

i have to say that the problem we are discussing here was on my camera solved by buying new (faster) memory card. Before i did not have some **bleep**ty one. Samsung Evo 32GB Class 10 UHS-I. Ok, maybe not a good one but in New Zealand still pretty expensive and i thought it is gonna be fast enough for Hero 4 Silver :D  Even shop assistant recommended it to me. New card is micro sdxc Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB UHS-I (U3) Class 10. Pretty good and fast card. Not on the list of the cards recommended and tested by GoPro but I risked it. But still i did not believe it will solve the problem. But...It did! So rather check one more time what card do you have in your GoPro. I know many of you have the fast ones so the problem is most likely with the camera but still...Good Luck!

Anonymous

[ New ]

You got it. That is the solution. You need to downgrade the firmware (I did it to 2.0) and then upgrade again, and it fixes the problem. I just fixed it. 

As reference for future readers, this is my case:

- I have a Silver 4, bought in Dec. 2013

- Everything went fine with it until early August, when I upgraded firmware (not sure which one I had, but I believe I had never upgraded since when I bought the camera)

- After the upgrade, the camera crashed when doing timelapse at 2 sec or lower frequencies (5, 10 sec). Usually it happened after taking the 26th or 27th picture. The pictures were actually not lost but the machine would not operate until I turned it off and on again. When crashing, it would show the "SD card error" text on the screen

- My SD cards were fine. They were the same ones I had successfully used since the purchase and were (are still) on the list of approved cards. Still, I reformatted them and reset the camera many times, without success. I also upgraded the camera, again, to the last firmware on gopro's site, without success as well. 

- I read here your comment and went to look for an older firmware. I did not find it in gopro's site, but ended up finding it somewhere else on the internet. To avoid any issues, I manually did the downgrade and upgrade (you need to put create an UPDATE folder in an SD card, copy the firmware files in it, and put the SD back into the camera). 

- After downgrading, the camera was already doing timelapse properly. I upgraded again to the latest version and the timelapse seems to be working fine (at least it has successfully passed the dreaded 27-27 pictures mark).

Hope this helps

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same issue as the previous posts , here is the solution that seems to be working untill now ( someone as already talked abou it ) :

If i format my - SAMSUNG 16  EVO - 16Gb in my iMac .. with the extension “ MS-DOS “ , i can shoot time-lapse for ever …

I also formatted my - SAMSUNG PRO 64 - 64 Gb .. with extension “exFAT “ … the go pro gives me the SD ERROR , at image 26 .

So what format should i use to format my cards , as i can see ... if i don’t format them in my GoPro , and if i use  “ MS-DOS FAT “ ..i can shoot forever ..in time-lapse … with bigger intervals than 0.5 sec .

best regards ,

Explorer

[ New ]
The only difference between DOS FAT (FAT) and exFAT is the limitation to 32Gb with FAT. I'm wondering if maybe you have a counterfeit Samsung Pro.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I dont know about that ... but its what makes the GoPro frezze at 26 images or not ... is the type of formatation . I think i will buy a new 64GB SD card .

Can you suggest a good one , that those have issues , to give it a try ? .

thanks

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

The card that has given me zero issues is the Samsung Pro, but since you seem to not be having luck with that card I have to suggest the Lexar 633x. It's reliable and inexpensive. The one brand I'd stay away from is Sandisk. I know they are recommended and some people seem to have good luck with them, but for me they have given me less than stellar performance.

Anonymous

[ New ]

FYI, I have the Lexar 633x and was suffering the same problem with Time Lapse (at 26-27 frames). If your SD cards are listed, I strongly suggest that instead of getting new SD cards, just downgrade and then upgrade again the firmware. It takes 10-15 minutes and seems to solve the problem. Good luck!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have downgraded the gopro to the version 3.0 and then upgraded it to 4.0 ... but i still have the same errors !!

should i downgrade to version 1.0 ?

thanks 

Anonymous

[ New ]

In my case, I downgraded to 2.0 and then upgraded to the latest version Gopro's site had.

I am not an expert on this (I only know what worked for me! :-) but I would suggest you try and downgrade to 2.0 and see what happens.

Good luck!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Had the same issue, except I got 28 pictures before the timelapse failed with the SD ERR and rebooted. Also noticed that while taking some videos it stopped recording once in a while after a few mins... It was in my drone so I didn't notice until I landed.

I decided to doubled-down - downgrade to 2.0, upgrade back AND low-level formatted the 32GB Sandisk Ultra. It couldn't hurt!

In the end, all is well! timelapse is fixed! In fact, after doing this my Class 4 8GB card I was testing worked pretty well too, TImelapse and 1080p30 video. It did not like it at all before I did all this..

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank You sir! Did what you posted, downgraded to ver1 and updated to ver5! fixed the timelapse problem! Thank You! haha

Peace!

Anonymous

[ New ]

The cameras are notoriously fickle when it comes to SD cards. To be fair it is because there is a lot of marketing misinformation with SD cards.

If you are having issues, test your SD card speed here: http://cam-do.com/pages/sd-card-speed-tester

The key is having sufficient write speed for general camera performance.

Read speed is less important (but is what all the manufacturers quote).

If you are not getting above 30 MB/s for read AND write, you are likely going to run into issues.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have still same problem, at 26 frame in night time lapse I got SD card error on HERO4 Black. I am using new v5 firmware (on previous was same problem, now updated and still same without changes). My card is SANDISK EXTREME PLUS 64GB (https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extremeplus-microsd - read/write ~90 MB/s). Anyone have fix for that issue?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hmm, looks like there was good solution, I am still testing but looks like it works because I have a lot more frames now and still no crash with sd card error. Just format card on computer, don't do it in GoPro - because problem is there.

Anonymous

[ New ]

No, there is problem in GoPro, still dont work :/

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello I had this same problem with a gopro 4 Black and Silver, I solved it, hold the mode button at boot time, the gopro goes off and restarts, the nightlapse will work

It is necessary to redo the manipulation every time before starting a timelapse, I made a tutorial to solve the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H_NvFKmjAs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]

estas camaras son una basura, baje a la V2 del firmware y ahi no molesta, si tenes otra solución comentala por favor pues quien no quiere tener la ultima version en su dispositivo, en este caso la V5 que ya tiene modo lineal en 1080, gracias.

Explorer

[ New ]

Ame mi plata de Hero4. Funciona muy bien en la última actualización. Me encanta el modo lineal y ISO y bloqueo del obturador.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Same issue now for over a year and half now but with one extra issue. 

I can say it's not the SD Card, I've tried every single one available. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Quits-The-Time-Lapse-On-Its-Own/m-p/1911/highlight/true...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem, 27pics and it says SD Error.

Has anyone found any soloution? This is making me crazy :(

Anonymous

[ New ]

download the firmwares and downgrade to firmware 2, it works the way it has to be, but GoPro doesn´t care about fixing that, gopro sucks!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro ended up sending me a new camera (I assume refurbished) which has come with its own set of problems. So yeah. I wish I had been able to try the suggested firmware solution. It's seriously embarrassing and the stock price is a perfect reflection of this thread's existence.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes there is a solution, have you bothered to read the comments?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have tried to update the camera (with the newest version) format the card both in the computer and in the camera and it´s the same. Where can i get firware 2? 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Downgrade to a previous firmware and then upgrade to the newest that works for me
Anonymous

[ New ]

I can´t find any old firmware to donwload, only the newest version. Somebody have a link for an old firware?

Anonymous

[ New ]

email me, i can send you the files  zorlac8@hotmail.com

Explorer

[ New ]
Just FYI, you can send pm (personal messages) here. Just click the person's avatar. That way you don't have to post your email address to everyone if you don't want to.
Anonymous

[ New ]

if you want the 1.0, 2, 3, 3.01, 4, 5 email me, I can send you the files  zorlac8@hotmail.com

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank You!!! didn´t know that.....

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have this exact same problem!

Anonymous

[ New ]

tengo el mismo problema que todos estos usuarios.

no me digas que actualicemos, si ya lo he intentado de todas las formas

me compro una cámara y no puedo usarla en el modo que mas quiero.

MALISIMO!!!!!

Fermin Acosta, un usuario mas desconforme.

Explorer

[ New ]

No somos GoPro. Somos una comunidad de personas que usan su producto.

Si tiene problemas con la cámara, utilice una tarjeta SD recomendada y ejecute la actualización manual.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

https://gopro.com/update/hero4

Si eso no soluciona el problema, póngase en contacto con GoPro para obtener un reemplazo.

https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

Anonymous

[ New ]

capo!!

sisi una comunidad.

Pensé que me ibas a dar algun link nuevo pa.

si miras las otras 10 paginas estan llenas de mensajes de usuarios y toooooodos con el mismo problema

Explorer

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro es una mierda!!!! pero con la V2 te funciona bien el time lapse

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just so everybody is clear, I had this issue, and sent in my GoPro to be replaced. They replaced it, but they replaced with a (likely refurbished) lemon. Did this one take more than the 27 pictures on a time-lapse? Yes, but then it started freezing and refusing to turn on. I jumped through all the hoops GoPro required me to go through (buying new cords, batteries, SD Cards) and finally it would just refuse to turn on. GoPro then closed my support case without informing me, and shut down e-mail Support.

So my reward for trying to get more than 27 pictures from a time-lapse was to be doomed with a lemon GoPro.

Please somebody from GoPro contact me. I spent hundreds of dollars on the device and parts, and it has been nothing but a nightmare.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I totally feel you dude!!!!  Mine had the same problem and i sent it in only to get one back with a partially messed up screen.  So i sent that one back only to get one with a totally messed up screen!!!!  GoPro claims its a "new one" but the level of disbelief is high for that statement after all this crap they've given me.    GOPRO!!! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!
Anonymous

[ New ]

**bleep**, I have also problem with "26 photo" on my silver 4 on all timelapse function. 

Sadly, mine warranty expired before one month and I cannot return for replacement Man Sad

I bought used gopro before 6 months and upgrade to ver.5.0, but until now I didnt realized that timelapse function is not working.Man Sad

Is there any other option for fixing this?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am not sure if you've read the whole thread. Some months ago (maybe 6, maybe 9, I'm not sure...) I posted the solution to this issue. You don't need to return your camera. You just need to downgrade your firmware and then upgrade it again. The details are in my post. I suggest you look for it and will find the solution to this weird problem. Best of luck!

Anonymous

[ New ]
@bluedawn and @bracas big thank you!

I missed your post before, but now I find it and fixed.
Just like you said; downgrade to ver.2 and upgrade again with new one.
Works great now.

Sadly that Gopro stuff didnt confirm this bug in firmware and fix it with ver.5

Cheers!
Anonymous

[ New ]

So to close the loop on this, just wanted to let you all know that REI (where I bought it) agreed to take back my GoPro for store credit. They were dismayed when I showed them my 20+ e-mail chain of trying to work this out with GoPro.

And thus ends my experience with GoPro. After 2 years of dragging my GoPro on adventures only to watch it fail when I try to film/time-lapse anything, and in the end only getting 1 edited video out of it, I'm done. GoPro "resolved" my issue by giving me a lemon GoPro replacement (more problems than my original one) and then ending all correspondence with me by ending their e-mail customer service.

I can't really see myself ever buying anything from GoPro again after this disaster of an experience.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I have the same problem, I use a 128gb sd card and keep showing up the the same error at the 27 pic. I try formatting and updating my gopro firmware but anything is working
Anonymous

[ New ]

gopro sucks! mine only works with the firmware v2.....

Hiker

[ New ]

I just started having this problem yesterday. You are correct, GoPro support is totally useless.  has anyone come up with a fix? How do you reinstall a prior update and where do you find them?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hello Friend!! unfortunately, until now there is no useful answer from go pro. we are sorry