Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Time Lapse SD Card Error Silver 4

I'm experiencing a frustrating error issue with my Silver 4 when I'm in Time Lapse mode.  It's worked flawlessly in all other modes.  My SD card errors out after 12-26 pics.  The camera locks up with SD Card Error and kills the time lapse.  It's random though, I've been able to record several time lapses without it freezing up, so I'm scratching my head.  I have 3 SanDisk Extreme cards, 16 GB and 2-64GB. I've swapped the cards around, formatted them in the camera and on my PC.  I'm updated to the latest firmware as far as I know. I use Go Pro Studio, so that should tell me if there's a new update right?    I haven't had any trouble with Time Lapse prior to the last update and zero problems with video.  I see the lastest update had power efficent changes, so is that the issue?   I've tried everything I can think of to make it work.  I removed the internal battery and ran the camera off my power pack and was able to sucessfully do 5-6  50-100 pic time lapses in a row.  Bingo, I thought I had stumbled on a work around.  Took the camera outside and set it up for a time lapse.  26 pics in the dreaded SD Error locked everything up again!.....  Swapped in the 16GB card and started the time lapse again and it's working fine now.  I'm at wits end trying to figure out the problem.  I'm at a mountain top location in SE OR and getting some gorgeous time lapses from here, so I'd like to do more, but the SD Card errors are driving me nuts.  Is there a way to roll back to an earlier firmware?  Anything else I could try?  I turned in a report to Support, but they took a week to get back to me in July (latch issue), so I figured this might get a quicker response.  Thank you for any info.  

GoPro

Re: Time Lapse SD Card Error Silver 4

@Anonymous

If using the 16GB card is working for you then you can be pretty certain that it's the SD card causing the problem. Though the SanDisk Extreme cards are on the recommended list and it seems really unlikely that both of the 64GB ones would give you a problem, so I have to admit that seems strange to me. 

Of course, use whatever is working for you while you're out on your shoot, and I would run some more tests reformatting the cards again and also reinstalling the update to your camera (even if you have the most up to date version already). You can reinstall the firmware using the link HERE

Our Support Team strives to get back to every contact in a timely manner. From time to time we do have some higher volumes that could result in a longer wait time, and I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience that you've had in hearing back. I took a look through our records and it looks like an agent has already gotten back to you and begun working with you on this case as well. They should be well equipped to help you out too!

I encourage you to post back here in the Support Hub with any updates or news about your particular situation, and if any other users have solutions that have helped them in similar situations, we'd love to hear from you. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 

GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Anonymous

Thank you for responding.  I have 3 SanDisk Extreme cards, 2 that are new and I'm still having the issue with random SD card errors.  I did the manual update last night and that did nothing to correct the problem.  I was able to get it to work the other day with the 16GB brand new card, but it's doing the same thing now.  Errors out on picture 26 almost every time.  It doesn't always error out though, so it's never consistent.  I found through trial and error if I format the card on my PC, record some video then start the Time Lapse it will work 90% of the time.  It's still coming up with the errors though, so not a real work around.  Always errors out at picture 26, or if I turn off the camera, then start the time lapse again, picture 52, so something is definately not right with the Time Lapse mode.  No other card issues doing video that I can see, so it's only in Time Lapse mode.  Thank you, I'll get back to Support if there's nothing more that can be done.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I got exactly the same problem over here sinds the last 5 days on my hero 4 black, before it worked well. Is there any solution in the mean time for this?

Anonymous

Hey! I have the same problem 

..moreover, it seems the sd card only doesnot work with 5-second time lapse... that's wired...

Have you got the solution? I need help :)

The sd card error kill the time lapse feature, and i think 5-second time lapse is most important part for me.

Tourist

Hey peeps, same here, have been thru endless frustration for a long time. Exchanged my 64gb extreme for 2 of the fastest 32gb cards on the market as a sales guy told me that there is a compatibility problem in general with gopro and 64gb cards. Tried it in front of him, took 3k pictures in timelapse no problem. Now back to the old problems!

By experimenting i found out that i get SD ERR for any resolution at a frequency of 1pic every 2sec or higher. So super weird: no problems at all if i shoot pictures at 0.5/1sec!! Anybody experiencing the same thing?
Tourist

Ah and btw should i consider myself lucky that i at least get 27 pics every time snd not only 26 as @Anonymous ?? FML
Anonymous

Mine locks up on pic 27, so I get 26 pics.  Is that your lock up?  I sent in my warranty info. and address for RMA# 3-4 days ago, and haven't heard anything back from Go Pro, so if anyone on Go Pro can respond to this post I'd appreciate an update.  Sounds like it's a problem they are aware of, so contact Go Pro Support and get the ball rolling.  So far I'm not impressed with the response by Go Pro on any Warranty issue.