Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

The firmware version 01.61 is making screen freeze on standby mode.

[ New ]
I have two gopro 7 black. One week ago I upgraded firmware to 01.61. The screen is always freeze after take one video on stand by mode. From the Internet I never found any solution about it. Even changed few SD card the problem is the same.
Today I get another new gopro. Before upgrad firmware it works very good. But after upgraded to new firmware 01.61, the broblem came again. Screen is freeze on stand by mode.
I try to downgrade but there is no no no information I can found.
The Hypersmooth function also a lot worse.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: The firmware version 01.61 is making screen freeze on standby mode.

[ New ]

Hi! 

I have Gopro 7Black with updated firmware v01.61. And I had the same problem after updating the firmware - making screen freeze on standby mode. After a dozen tests, I solved this problem for myself. In VIDEO SETTINGS menu you must turn off LOW LIGHT mode.

If this method solves your problem, please write about it here.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Sightseer,

Thank you for the notice. I've noticed that the problem stopped happening once I used the camera on 30fps. Reading your post I realized that 30fps has LOW LIGHT mode disiabled by default.

Indeed, turning OFF LOW LIGHT mode on 60fps prevents this problem from happening. As long as you do not use the camera on hypersmooth in a low light situation, this hot-fix can be used.

Looking forward for a permanent fix within the new firmware!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]
For the problem check this video out...

https://youtu.be/N8e8EelPFTQ
Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I need to report the same problem that I never had it using the previous firmware. It appeard immediately after updating to firmware 1.61 on video mode. The screen image freezes, but touchscreen remains active for a while (sometimes is recovers automatically by continuosly chaning modes). It is important to immediately stop camera (pressing mode button), otherwise it freezes completly and need to remove battery to reset. It is very very frustrating as you lose shots due to time needed for reboot.

I have tried all recomandations: app firmware update, manual firmware update, reset to factory, format SD, tried differet camera settings: same results: camera freezes (more often when screen saver is activated and also when recording short clips: 15s, 30s --- not sure if it has anything to do with it).

Using card: Sandisk Extreme 128GB v30 (A2). 

Camera setup: 1080:30/60, W/L, locked mode landscape (UP), Screen saver 2min, voice OFF, Wifi connection OFF

Enfironment temperature: 25-35 deg C.

As it this problem seems to appear after camera shaking and changing possition from portrait to landscape (even if it is locked on landscape UP), I suspect it has something to do with this improvement from the firmware 1.61 list:

• Improves portrait and landscape detection.
Hiker

[ New ]

sd cards are both sandisk 32G extreme pro & 64G extreme.

it happend only in standby mode after recorded an video. withou sd card there is no way to do recording that means there  is no fteeze issue.

i notice that after recorded an video there still have some thread running on the background and when the camera changed it's view between portrait and  landscape mode the some thread is make its view crach even i set the view mode as "up".

Hiker

[ New ]

hi @sintaxxad43

exatly the sme issue as mine.

is there any solution provided by gopro?

they always asking me what brand of sd cards im using...

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi! 

I have Gopro 7Black with updated firmware v01.61. And I had the same problem after updating the firmware - making screen freeze on standby mode. After a dozen tests, I solved this problem for myself. In VIDEO SETTINGS menu you must turn off LOW LIGHT mode.

Good luck!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Sightseer,

Thank you for the notice. I've noticed that the problem stopped happening once I used the camera on 30fps. Reading your post I realized that 30fps has LOW LIGHT mode disiabled by default.

Indeed, turning OFF LOW LIGHT mode on 60fps prevents this problem from happening. As long as you do not use the camera on hypersmooth in a low light situation, this hot-fix can be used.

Looking forward for a permanent fix within the new firmware!

Tourist

[ New ]

Great news!! So it works Smiley Happy

Will Wait fixing in next update...

Hiker

[ New ]

@artcooking wrote:

Hi! 

Good luck!

THIS POST needs to be put on the top!! Amazing simple workaround! I just wished I read this earlier prior to my trip Smiley LOL

THANKS a ton!!

I wonder if GoPro support is aware with this!?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thank you! I have noticed this since the update as well. Turned low light off for now and all is good. Hopefully another update addresses this.

GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @loyaldusk37626,

Thanks for letting us know.

We'll check that.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Happy there is a hotfix.. I'll just put it back to the old FW.. until new update is available

Tourist

[ New ]

There is now an update 1.7, problem is still not solved :-(

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @sunnytree76323. We have already reported this matter to the team and we are waiting for an update or a fix. We will definitely keep you posted once we have new information. Have you been able to test whether this issue is resolved with turning Auto Low Light off as other members have advised? Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, if the function is turned off there is apparently no problem.

Tourist

[ New ]
Awesome... Got my 3rd replacement gp7 already... Please fix all bugs so I can finally start to use it... Missed my disney xmas visite footage cause of freezing gopro when lowlight was on...
Sightseer

[ New ]

So how do you turn off the low light setting when the screen freezes so you can't even access the settings menu?  The second the screen turns on when I reset the battery, it freezes.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @x-nemesis. Have you been able to manually update the camera already? If you have and you are already using one of the recommended SD cards here https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations , let our Support team help. Their contact information is at  https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Hiker

[ New ]
My hero 7 black also freezes a lot, i have manually updated 1.70, format the recommended sd card 64GB still freezes.
Most of the time it freezes when connected to my Smart Remote, and they both freezes same time, it's annoying as hell my first gopro.

Any updates on this issue?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @shotsofredmist

To isolate the issue, please test the camera without the SD card.

Access the menu and see if it will still freeze.

Also, try resetting your Smart Remote and see if this will make a difference.

Reference links:

Camera Freezes Up

How to Reset the Smart Remote

How to Pair Your Camera with Your Smart Remote

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for reply @aragon1006 i have not try test the camera without SD card, but i turned off "auto low light" as i read here, it seems to have worked at least for now.

But still when connected to my smart remote, my gopro still freezes sometimes, i try to reset smart remote but it still having issue freezing.

Is there a way to factory reset a smart remote?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @shotsofredmist

Thanks for letting us know.

To reset the Smart Remote, please check this article.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@shotsofredmist, what resolution you use to recording. Try 1080 resolution and see if this solve your camera freezing issue. Some remote using gimbal i tested are facing freezing if recording resolution are higher than 1080.  I was about to purchase gopro original remote to overcome the freezing issue but it seem like perform the same like gimbal remote.

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm always on 1080p 60, when i use my gopro freezing issue happens twice or more. When connected to smart remote (3 button)
Hiker

[ New ]

@shotsofredmist if thats the case. if you have not formatted your Sd card try FULL FORMAT your sd card using pc. Then slot in back inside gopro and performa format 1 more time using gopro.  See if this does solve you problem.

Hiker

[ New ]
Update on freezing issue.
I test my gopro wihout SD card, it still freezes (with wireless connection ON). Everytime i reset(hold power for seconds) it still freezes when i turn it on again.
I removed the battery and put it again after a minute, then i turn OFF wireless connection then it somehow turns ok for now. My question is...
Do i have a faulty gopro?
Sometimes when i turn off my gopro, my wifi is still connected to hero7black,
Is hero7black wifi always on even if the gopro is off?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @shotsofredmist. The Wi-Fi needs to be manually turned off so the camera does not pair with a mobile device anymore. It is normal for the camera to keep the Wi-Fi on even if it was turned off. If you have already manually updated the camera firmware and the camera still freezes as you described, let our Support team know so they an help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Thanks!