Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

The battery cover on my Hero 9 feels loose

[ New ]
The battery cover on my Hero 9 feels loose. I have only used it 6-7 times and keep it in a silicone cover when using it. It looks like the actual metal hinge on the camera is moving around? Feels cheap and not secure, like it wouldn’t keep the water out.
GoPro

Re: The battery cover on my Hero 9 feels loose

[ New ]

Hi @iamtommymac

What was the last activity done with the camera?

Please go over the steps on HERO9 Black - How to Operate the Side Door

If it's still the same, would you be able to share a video showing the issue?

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have his checked further?

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

@iamtommymac I know exactly what you're saying. The pin does move a little bit especially on the rear side of the camera, and if you look carefully it almost looks like little tiny straight seams on the casing where the pin is located, looks like it would break super easy, the hinge pin would just pop right out.

I try to be incredibly delicate when swapping the battery door with my usb passthrough door because I'm afraid I'm gonna pull the hinge pin right out!

I know how to use the door, and how to properly remove it, and as I said, the door hinge was like this right out of the box.

Tourist

[ New ]
The last activity was using the GoPro on a tripod in my house to film some workout videos. Prior to that, I used it on a hike. Both times (and all times I’ve used the GoPro so far) I have only opened the battery door to charge the battery. I have not removed the battery door yet for any reason.

I will try to take a video of the movement.

Tom
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, it really feels like it would come right off if I actually removed the door for the media mod I have purchased. It feels flimsy. I had a previous GoPro and it didn’t feel as cheap as this. I honestly would be concerned to use it under water as it is.
Nomad

[ New ]

@iamtommymac 

I'm with you on that. I would not use it underwater without the protective housing, and unfortunately shooting with the fully enclosed housing causes overheating when shooting in higher resolutions and framerates

Nomad

[ New ]

There is a post somewhere here on the forum with with an image that points out exactly what I keep fearing will happen to mine, and I'm trying to locate that post.

If I find the image, it makes me cringe, and I bet it will make you cringe too!

Nomad

[ New ]

After spending the last 2 hours sifting through all of the past posts here, I am unable to bring up the post with the broken hinge, but I saw it here a couple of months ago... it's almost as if gopro have deleted the post entirely so as not to expose them for being aware of such a flaw for such an extended time, but I haven't totally given up on looking, I'll try seeing if I an can find the image anywhere else as well.

Tourist

[ New ]
I can only imagine what admin remove from these forums! Thanks for looking though. Luckily, I am under warranty and after sending a video to support and showing them, they immediately agreed to send a replacement. So good for them on that front. Can you do the same with yours?
Nomad

[ New ]

I maybe could, but the quality is so great I couldn't go weeks without it, I shoot every single day, and I have a job every 2 to 3 nights which require the camera, and I for now I need to have it at all times, unless they'll send a replacement without me shipping my camera first, ill just wait till it breaks and do the no questions asked replacement for 100 bucks.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you @iamtommymac 

Tourist

[ New ]
I was worried about the same thing, but they actually ship a replacement with return packaging so you won’t be a day without your camera!
Hiker

[ New ]

If you're really looking for help, you should post a video of you opening and closing the battery door.  Have someone take a video of you demonstrating how you open and close the battery door.  When people observe you opening and closing the battery door, they can tell you if you're doing it right or wrong.  There's lots of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the proper technique for opening and closing the battery door.

Tourist

[ New ]
I recorded a video and sent it to support. They confirmed that it was a GoPro fault and are sending me a replacement. I actually tried to upload the video here but could only do it if I first uploaded it to a third party site like YouTube/Vimeo or uploading to Google docs then linking here, luckily support were able to help in the end so I didn’t have to do all of that. I am leaving this post up here however, purely for awareness to anyone else that is having a similar issue, so they know that it is a potential fault and can return if needed.