Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

The Bluetooth device function on my Hero 8 camera disappeared

[ New ]
Hi, I recently just got my Hero 8, tried to do the first set up and updated the camera using the mobile app by connecting it through Wifi. Some how in the middle of the update it frozed on me, so I just took out the batteries and reinserted again. The camera switched on normally and redo the update manually saving the update on the micro sd card. That successfully updated the camera firmware, but then i notice the Bluetooth device function on the camera disappeared. I thought I might have stuffed something up, so I tried to reset everything, even resetting the camera to it's factory default setting and run the update again, but still the Bluetooth device function is not there, but on my mobile Bluetooth it's paired with the camera?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: The Bluetooth device function on my Hero 8 camera disappeared

[ New ]

Please correct me if I am wrong,

Hi, I'm IrishmanPDX, have we met??  Smiley Tongue  Sorry, insider joke, but I tend to correct people when they are wrong.  I just do it to state facts, not to be nasty but some people don't get that.

in the camera under the heading "Connect Device" there's three options that we can click on right? 1. Gopro App, 2. Smart Remote, and 3. Bluetooth Device. My Hero 8 camera 3rd (Bluetooth Device) option is missing and I also don't have the name "Bluetooth Device" on my mobile Gopro App setting.

So I know in the old version of the app (5.0 or before) there used to be an extra setting in the menu in there for connecting a bluetooth device.  It never worked though as this was something that wasn't intergrated into the camera.  My guess is they were working on a partnership with someone for either a mic or a GPS tracker or something and it fell through.  

However in the GoPro 8 in the camera menu, I don't ever recall seeing a bluetooth option in "Connect Device".  I've only seen GoPro app and Smart remote (as this was all that was catered for).  The way your device connects now to the app is as follows:

Bluetooth connection for controlling the camera, adjusting settings etc.

If you click on "enable preview" or "Browse media" it will then activate the WiFi connection as the higher bandwidth is needed for playback of files and a live preview.  

So keeping this in mind, there is no need for a seperate bluetooth menu.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

There is no seperate "bluetooth" connection on the camera menu's.  Everything falls under "Wireless connections".  When you connect your GoPro to the app it first connects via bluetooth to give you direct control over your settings (without a live preview).  When you "enable live preview" that is when your mobile device will then attempt to connect via WiFi.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi,
Thank you for the information, but I'm still confused. I wish I could upload a screenshot of the Hero 8 black I took from Youtube, somehow I can't seem to attach any files here using my mobile.
Please correct me if I am wrong, in the camera under the heading "Connect Device" there's three options that we can click on right? 1. Gopro App, 2. Smart Remote, and 3. Bluetooth Device. My Hero 8 camera 3rd (Bluetooth Device) option is missing and I also don't have the name "Bluetooth Device" on my mobile Gopro App setting.
Nomad

[ New ]

Please correct me if I am wrong,

Hi, I'm IrishmanPDX, have we met??  Smiley Tongue  Sorry, insider joke, but I tend to correct people when they are wrong.  I just do it to state facts, not to be nasty but some people don't get that.

in the camera under the heading "Connect Device" there's three options that we can click on right? 1. Gopro App, 2. Smart Remote, and 3. Bluetooth Device. My Hero 8 camera 3rd (Bluetooth Device) option is missing and I also don't have the name "Bluetooth Device" on my mobile Gopro App setting.

So I know in the old version of the app (5.0 or before) there used to be an extra setting in the menu in there for connecting a bluetooth device.  It never worked though as this was something that wasn't intergrated into the camera.  My guess is they were working on a partnership with someone for either a mic or a GPS tracker or something and it fell through.  

However in the GoPro 8 in the camera menu, I don't ever recall seeing a bluetooth option in "Connect Device".  I've only seen GoPro app and Smart remote (as this was all that was catered for).  The way your device connects now to the app is as follows:

Bluetooth connection for controlling the camera, adjusting settings etc.

If you click on "enable preview" or "Browse media" it will then activate the WiFi connection as the higher bandwidth is needed for playback of files and a live preview.  

So keeping this in mind, there is no need for a seperate bluetooth menu.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi irishmanPDX,
I am the girl next door:) jks!
When I say thank you, I really mean it. I like correction that's how we learn new things. I'm not a tech savvy, but I am pretty sure I wasn't seeing things. So it only means that I had bought an old stock of the GoPro Hero 8 camera and when I updated the new firmware the option just disappeared? I don't know, but yeah thank you for the clarifications at least I know there's nothing wrong with my camera, well for now that is, yet to go out and adventure it.
Cheers, have a great day and stay safe
Nomad

[ New ]

The Bluetooth Device option is still there if you connect to an old camera, and the Hero8 still has the ability to connect to Bluetooth devices. That's in theory, I don't know of any accessory that works. I know some people have experimented with it, but don't know exactly how.