Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

That's why GoPro Hero 9 touch screen not working

[ New ]

I tested and got the same result of Bruce's video.

I'm so disppointed for my FIRST GoPro.

Any solution to fix this? 

Come on GoPro!!! Smiley Sad

Thanks Bruce's video

Mounted and Unmounted differencesof the GoPro Hero 9 touch screen.
Adventurer

Re: That's why GoPro Hero 9 touch screen not working

[ New ]

I understand its an issue.  can you do a longer  finger hold and do that video  rather a quick swipe hod  the finger longer on it, then swipe.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks your reply. I do hold longer and swipe slowly but doesn't work when it mounted. It's work nicely when unmounted. Smiley Frustrated

Hiker

Rif.: That's why GoPro Hero 9 touch screen not working

[ New ]
Same problem for me
Hiker

Rif.: That's why GoPro Hero 9 touch screen not working

[ New ]

Looks like they have an update coming that I hope fixes the issue.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Sightseer

[ New ]
Tengo el mismo problema. Vaya decepción que sea nueva y de estos problemas
Nomad

[ New ]

The touch screen apparently needs some time after switching on the camera until it works properly. Even when it's cold, the touch seems sluggish. Compared to the Hero 8, the touchscreen of the Hero 9 is much more sluggish and requires more intensive pressure!

Sightseer

[ New ]
You have to hold the camera body with your other hand and it works fine! Seems like some strange grounding issue to me.
Adventurer

[ New ]

glad to know the screen is the issue

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

We appreciate the feedback. Our team is aware that some customers are having issues with the sensitivity of the touch screen. They are working on a solution now. More details are here. Thanks.

Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft wrote:

We appreciate the feedback. Our team is aware that some customers are having issues with the sensitivity of the touch screen. They are working on a solution now. More details are here. Thanks.

Jeff, I'm also having intermittent screen sensitivity issues. On ocassion swipes and taps don't work at all, and most other times it works perfectly fine...very strange.  I try to vary how long I touch and also the pressure used, but it doesn't seem to make a difference when it decides not to work. But it mostly works good.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Thanks for the feedback @brewcityrider.

Tourist

[ New ]

I found if I hold the Gopro by one hand (direct touch the Gopro 9 body, another hand (finger) taps and swipes is normal!  But if I hold the Gopro 9 by the mount or tripod (not direct touch the Gopro 9 body), the touch screen will not work.  It's meant I must two hand direct touch the Gopro 9 body when use the touch screen!

https://youtu.be/x3ARGNKnF7M

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue here with my Hero 9. The bottom of rear display is the worse area for me and I have to rotate the screen to be able to touch something. GoPro update the firmware ASAP, the camera is really hard to use with the unresponsive display.

Hiker

[ New ]
Exactly what others are saying...if you are holding the camera by a grip/mount the touch screen barely works and is super frustrating. When you actually hold the camera itself the touch screen works! This needs to be fixed asap.
Tourist

[ New ]

You dont need to touch the cam with both hands, just rest 1 finger on the right side, on top of the battery opener and it works like unmounted. Dont know why but it works.

Sightseer

Solution - use both hands !

[ New ]

Have installed the upgraded firmware 1.22 that supposed to fix touchscreen sensitivity.... still not functioning as it should.

I agree that it seems to be a grounding-counter-capacity issue..so holding the case with other hand solves !

Nomad

Re: Solution - use both hands !

[ New ]

The Hero 8 shows exactly the same behavior! If you hold the Hero 8 or 9 in one hand and operate the touchscreen with the other hand, this works well (with the 9 series with the latest update). Otherwise the touchscreen will hardly react (Hero 8 and Hero 9)! It is annoying that this behavior has been known since the Hero 8 and has still not been fixed ...

Tourist

[ New ]

The whole GoPro stuff need an update :D The Gopro website as well. Too many redirects and things like that. Horrible to get here on this site. I ordered a case last saturday. t think i have to wait a very long time till this arrives :D :D but ok, the screen problem should be fixed asap but its known till hero 8 so..... yeah... :/

Hiker

[ New ]

Uso sia la Hero 8 che la Hero 9 e posso tranquillamente dire che la 8 è perfetta come touch anche senza contatto diretto con la mano; quando esco in MTB non ho mai alcun problema a cambiare impostazioni nonostante sia montata sulla pettorina; la hero 9 invece nonostante l'ultimo aggiornamento lagga moltissimo.

Attualmene Hero8 > Hero9 come touchscreen

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

Solo per conoscenza:

ho avuto modo di provare la Hero9 con versione 1.0 ed era perfetta...dopo l'aggiornamento è peggiorata tantissimo.

Andrea

Backpacker

[ New ]

Strange to read these complaints.  When the GP9 launched, I'll agree, the touch screen was horrible to use.  However the Oct 20th firmware update fixed the screen issue for me.  I have it attached to the suction cup mount and don't hold the camera with both hands.  I use my index finger to adjust the setting and it works just fine.  I've also used the 3 way pole mount indoors and the touch screen works just fine.

It would point to an issue with a certain batch of GoPro's if the touch screen is still causing issues........ or maybe you're all using the wrong handsoap..  :P

Hiker

[ New ]

Smiley Very Happy

Tourist

[ New ]

Well there are problems everywhere, not only at gopro :D The Cam works fine and if i have to put a finger on the cam or not is not a big deal ;)