Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Superview

When I try to use Superview (1080P 60fps) my unit freezes; sometimes it says "Busy" and other times just nothing at all.

I'm currently using a Lexar 300x 32GB microSD, which came bundled with the unit when I bought it from the store.

Also there have been several occassions that the unit become unresponsive and I had to pull-out the battery to reset the camera.

My question is do I need to upgrade my microSD?

and is it normal for the unit to occassionally freeze when recording?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Superview

You need to upgrade your SD card for reliable performance. After years of railing SanDisk I've found the SanDisk Extreme v30 (It must say v30 on the card) works best. I've also tested the Samsung Extreme (non v30 - last years model), Lexar 633X, Lexar 1000X, Samsung Pro, Samsung Pro Plus, and Samsung Pro Select.

Interestingly, I found the card with the highest specs, Samsung Pro Select, to perform the worst. The card that has consistently worked is the SanDisk Extreme v30. Occassionally I have had a freeze when switching to 4K/60, 2.7/120, or 1080/240 after filming for awhile in another resolution/frame rate. I'm not sure the rational, but it seems that having many files on the card makes it more difficult for the camera to allocate space on the card.

When I do get a freeze, which is not very often with the SanDisk Extreme v30, I found that holding down the side mode/power button for about 12 seconds (you get no indications from the camera) and then releasing causes the camera to shut down. Wait about 10 seconds and power on. If a file needs to be repaired the camera will do it automatically. After the reboot it seems to do fine. I used to pull the battery when I got a freeze. I found this is not the way to go. While it "unfreezes" the camera, the file doesn't get repaired (if need be) and the freezing returns again shortly after you start recording in the same resolution/frame rate.

Back to the SD cards. In order of reliability, here is my list based on experience with the card/camera.

SD card rank in GoPro Hero6 from most reliable to least reliable:
1) SanDisk Extreme v30
2) Samsung Pro
3) SamSung Pro+
4) Lexar 1000X
*5) Lexar 633X
**6) SanDisk Extreme
**7) Samsung Pro Select

*Lexar 633X seems to work great in every resolution but 4K or frame rates 120 or above
** Both SanDisk Extreme (non-v30) and Samsung Pro Select were almost equally unreliable. I wouldn't use either in any resolution/frame rate.

Be sure to format your cards in the camera before every shoot and periodically do a FULL (no quick) format of the card in your computer. Run a MANUAL update and use a recommended SD card (the only cards recommended by GoPro are the SanDisk Extreme v30, Extreme Plus v30, and Extreme Plus Pro v30).

Do a FULL format of your SD card before doing a manual update (you don't need to format if the card is brand new) and your camera should function fine.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

You need to upgrade your SD card for reliable performance. After years of railing SanDisk I've found the SanDisk Extreme v30 (It must say v30 on the card) works best. I've also tested the Samsung Extreme (non v30 - last years model), Lexar 633X, Lexar 1000X, Samsung Pro, Samsung Pro Plus, and Samsung Pro Select.

Interestingly, I found the card with the highest specs, Samsung Pro Select, to perform the worst. The card that has consistently worked is the SanDisk Extreme v30. Occassionally I have had a freeze when switching to 4K/60, 2.7/120, or 1080/240 after filming for awhile in another resolution/frame rate. I'm not sure the rational, but it seems that having many files on the card makes it more difficult for the camera to allocate space on the card.

When I do get a freeze, which is not very often with the SanDisk Extreme v30, I found that holding down the side mode/power button for about 12 seconds (you get no indications from the camera) and then releasing causes the camera to shut down. Wait about 10 seconds and power on. If a file needs to be repaired the camera will do it automatically. After the reboot it seems to do fine. I used to pull the battery when I got a freeze. I found this is not the way to go. While it "unfreezes" the camera, the file doesn't get repaired (if need be) and the freezing returns again shortly after you start recording in the same resolution/frame rate.

Back to the SD cards. In order of reliability, here is my list based on experience with the card/camera.

SD card rank in GoPro Hero6 from most reliable to least reliable:
1) SanDisk Extreme v30
2) Samsung Pro
3) SamSung Pro+
4) Lexar 1000X
*5) Lexar 633X
**6) SanDisk Extreme
**7) Samsung Pro Select

*Lexar 633X seems to work great in every resolution but 4K or frame rates 120 or above
** Both SanDisk Extreme (non-v30) and Samsung Pro Select were almost equally unreliable. I wouldn't use either in any resolution/frame rate.

Be sure to format your cards in the camera before every shoot and periodically do a FULL (no quick) format of the card in your computer. Run a MANUAL update and use a recommended SD card (the only cards recommended by GoPro are the SanDisk Extreme v30, Extreme Plus v30, and Extreme Plus Pro v30).

Do a FULL format of your SD card before doing a manual update (you don't need to format if the card is brand new) and your camera should function fine.
Highlighted
Tourist

Awesome!!!

thank you danielr15! I had a feeling the card bundled with the unit was no good.  I thought that being able to record in 4k was enough, silly me hehe.

and thanks for the additional tip for when the camera freezes; but to be honest I'm not sure if it's a good thing that some people are experiencing this, especially from a company like a GoPro and the fact that this is their 6th flagship camera.

Pardon my naivete, this is my first foray in the action cam department. :P

Again thank you so much for the detailed explanation and tips!!!