Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Suggestion for better quality pics?

[ New ]
Question for a better quality pic...
Is the quality better when you shoot a pic in photo mode OR is it better to shoot in video mode(highest resolution) and then go to grab photo mode and grab the moment instead of taking the pic in actual photo mode? I’m asking cause sometimes it seems that photos aren’t that great in photo mode VS grabbing a photo moment from a video
Explorer

Re: Suggestion for better quality pics?

[ New ]
Video gives you the advantage of selecting a particular frame, so you are more likely to get a great shot this way. However, when it comes to overall quality, a RAW photo will grab the most data. If you are not editing with Lightroom, then you wont be able to take advantage of this.

To get the best jpeg photos, always make sure your subject is lit properly and don't shoot into the sun/light source. Using Super Photo will give you good results, but if you are using a tripod and have a subject that is not moving, HDR is best. if you have a moving subject, utilizing the Burst mode with an Auto shutter should give you very good results and will allow you to pick the best photo from a group of shots.

If you are willing to play with the settings, you can enable the Protune settings for photo. If the subject is moving you want a fast shutter. You want the lowest ISO possible but need to keep the shutter speed in mind. If the shutter is on Auto and you use a Low ISO, then it might force the camera to use a slower shutter causing blur.

What are you using to edit your photos? If you are using a mobile device, I highly recommend Snapseed as it's a very powerful, easy to use, and free editor that will help you make very good photo edits.
Adventurer

[ New ]

ohoto mode while on a tripod, using a App. if  you have no time to do that then video mode like said.  in vid mode  more frampes per second are used, and less blur  when the shutter was released. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m using Lightroom for my editing and my pics are pretty decent, I’ve had people ask me what I use as a camera cause they loved the shots. I havent shot in raw much cause I’m just beginning to learn how to edit. I do tend to use flat,iso 100,wb 5500k. I was confused on whether which source .. video or photo produces a better detail photo. For example.. let say i takw A selfie with camera mode.. then do the exact thing and just let the video mode run and then go back and pausing the video and grabbing the video, for me most of time seems more flawless. I guess It would depends on what your shooting and how much action is going on and just playing with settings
Adventurer

[ New ]

only benefit of video is hte  EIS it uses the camera has no hand shake so the choice is up to you use 4K grab a few secs vs  a photo try to be still as possible when you try to use hte  timer Lol  

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks, so basically just be still as possible lol. I always try to, it makes a huge difference.

now i gotta Figure out if the same applies while flying the karma drone far as the quality of the photo/video.
Explorer

[ New ]
When you take a frame grab you are getting about 8.3 megapixels per frame. With a photo it's 12 MP. The more information in the photo the better, especially when you start editing. RAW will give you the max data (although it wont look great straight out of the camera). The rest is just composition and positioning of the camera. The rest of your settings look good, but start by setting the shutter and then adjusting the ISO. If you can get a relatively fast shutter and still have a bright enough image with ISO 100, you can then turn the shutter back to auto. If the image is too dark with a faster shutter and ISO 100, then you are going to end up with blurry photos because the shutter is staying open too long.

Super Photo, instead of Protune Photo or HDR, will examine the scene and even make adjustments based upon the camera movement. It then will decide to use HDR, Tonal Maping, Multi-Frame Noise Reduction, or no Processing. It is the best "Auto" setting and usually is the "Best" setting. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/what-is-superphoto
Hiker

[ New ]
Oh wow thanks you pretty much answered the question i had.. i just Didn’t know how to word it. Frame grab is 8.3 VS photo 12mp. Pretty much sums everything up i was Curious about. I’m gonna have to start playing with the shutter, i dont know much far as the shuttle goes.. so i usually leave it auto.. but I’ll look into it cause i want To produce some top notch photos. Check my insta.. i think I have Some pretty decent ones for the little knowledge i have of photo/video editing
https://www.instagram.com/wandering_out_of_dfw/