Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Streaming (RTMP)

[ New ]

Hi All, 

I am trying to stream live from my gopro 7 black.

I do not have enough subscribers to stream through youtube and the delay via facebook is approximately 20 sec. I want a < 1sec delay over a secure server so I am using an RTMP platform. I set up my own Linux Ubuntu server and installed Nginx on it to support RTMP services. I can stream though this server from an OBS software and view the stream on VLC, so I assume the server works. However, I cannot stream the gopro using the RTMP to stream either through the server or through the OBS and keep getting the connection error message in the gopro app telling me to restart the camera and try again. 

Does anyone know what I am missing here to get my gopro to stream through my RTMP server?

Thanks!

Davon

Nomad

Re: Streaming (RTMP)

[ New ]

Yes, you're missing this software:

http://gopro2obs.com/

Tourist

[ New ]

What does that do that is differently than my current OBS? There is not a good description of that product from that link.

Nomad

[ New ]

Well for one, it actually works.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ya right first you spend money on gopro then spend money on these crap apps which will give a buffer free period and then ask you to pay for the services....what a waste

Nomad

[ New ]

The GoPro was advertised as an action camera that has the ability to livestream to YouTube and Facebook via the app.  The GoPro does exactly this via the (quite good) app.

You are trying to use the camera in such a way that was not advertised by GoPro or supported by GoPro.  GoPro never claimed that this could be done.

So having to spend money on 3rd party apps is actually your choice as is trying to get your GoPro to do something it wasn't designed to do.  

Tourist

[ New ]

I was hoping for a technical response to how the software you suggest is different than the OBS. Sounds like you don't know which is ok too. 

Also, the RTMP option is built into the app as a streaming method. Not sure how that qualifies as trying to use it for something it wasn't advertised. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I would suggest rather than doing that sign in to https://restream.io/ select you stream destinations. Copy RTMP & Stream key from your restream account and paste in your go pro rtmp section (paste rtmp url the slash "/" paste your stream key) and im sure you are good to go with a minimum delay of 2 to 5 secs depending upon your system/ internet speed. Also make sure to keep the video quality below 720 (if you have an option) i am sure this will help you get going.