Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Stolen Camera

My Gopro hero 5 got stolen, i've only had it for about 2 years and I don't have any of the packaging.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Stolen Camera

What is it you need help with?

Highlighted
Tourist

Is there anyway the camera can be tracked? If not is it covered under warranty? I got it for christmas in 2017 and I think I have the box somewhere.

Highlighted
Nomad

If you registered the camera with Gopro then I suppose they could in theory 'block' any updates, but there haven't been any for the 5 for a while and won't be any future ones. Again if they try to register the camera Gopro could in theory identify that activity, but doubt they do this actively. As for warranty claim, errr no. Your camera getting stolen isn't a fault with gopro. It's down to your insurance cover. eg if you car got stolen would the dealer/manufacturer give you a new one?

Highlighted
Adventurer

gopro camera: Registering stops theft. of trade up. gopro checks the seriel and  they decline the sale.

GoPro how on Earth can theytrack your camera?  love to hear your thoughts, please do tell?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sarahdarcy23

I am sorry to hear about what happened. We do not have a way to locate lost/stolen GoPro items. If you still have the box of the camera, the serial number should be listed there. You may also find the number in the version.txt file, located in the MISC folder on any SD card that has been used in the camera. 

Once you get the serial number you may contact our Support Team to have a case created and get the serial number logged. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

In case someone calls in and reports a camera with the same serial number, we could potentially let you know.

Thanks!

Ej