Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Stitching Fusion RAW image files - HOW?

Ok, now I could do it. Thanks for the new version.

But: it is crazy that you have to maintain the original filenames. I rename all my files, so I always know where they were shot. It makes also no sense that you have to keep the original jpegs in the folder (not only the two which where generated with the RAW files, but the original once too). It looks like you want to be sure that only gopro users can use your software. With all this steps we photographers lose a lot of time... maybe you can fix this for the next update.

(I tried to do it with the renamed files, did not work. you have to maintain the filenames given by the gopro camera).

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@royalboost11244

I think the original jpg files are needed because they contain meta data that is needed by Fusion Studio to process the images.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

So, after all this time you are still lying to us. For me, the question now isn't how to stitch, is why did I not return the camera on time? And you dare to post a video saying how to stitch RAW?  Pardon me? Should be named, "how to edit the GPR files and export them as 8bit JPEG to stitch a poor source file (AGAIN)". 

That is the first lie; the second lie is delivered right from the software when it says photo XXX GPR. Just one thing for all of you that are thinking, what is this mad guy saying. What does it happen when you remove the GPR original files from the folder? NOTHING. Just try it. Check the image I attach to this comment. 4 images. all JPEGs, and Fusion Studio tells me that is a GPR foto when the GPR is not there anymore. Fusion studio recognize the _GPR as a new version of the original GPR, but doesnt care at all about GPR-14bit files. Now you can edit the RAW file and sitch the outcome of those editions (which you couldn´t before), but always as 8bit JPEGS. 

It is nice to be able to do something with the GPR rather than fill our hard drive space, but dont sell me now like "Fusion Studio is capable of stitching raw files", because is not true. It only works with JPEG and nothing else. Why the TIFF export option... still don't know. So just a tip, save stitched image as JPEG and save some space on your hard drive, coz the result is exactly the same (well, much heavier in the .tiff case).

I also own a Panotour Giga license (developed by Kolor, french company that belongs to GoPro and that develops Fusion Studio). And? Surprise surprise; doesn't work either. And this is even funnier when you discover the main Kolor competitors can handle it, like ptGui or MistkaVR. 

This is a complete mess.

JPEG_only.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I just write a comment and it was deleted for inappropriate content. I won't stop until people knows. The brand new update does not stitch RAW files. The only thing it does is to recognize the new edited "whatever_GPR.JPEG" and stitch it. The source material is still 8-bit images. 

I invite you to try to do one thing. Delete the original files from your folder and open it in Fusion. What happens? The same as before, Fusion opens a newly edited image with the GR suffix. Conclusion, GPR is (still) no needed for stitching in Fusion.

So if you are thinking on saving the panorama as TIFF, don't waste space in your hard drive, because the source image is still a 8bit JPEG.

I demonstrate in this image how does it work. GoPro is claiming that you can stitch RAW files now in the 1.2 update. You can test by yourselves wherever is true or not.

JPEG_only.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

@marcost141

GoPro is not claiming you can stitch the RAW files. They provided a way to edit the RAW files in another program, save the edits as JPG files and then stitch those files with Fusion Studio.

Highlighted
Tourist

Are you 100% sure? Because I can read different things. I know my English is not the best, but I think this is pretty clear, isn't it?

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-stitch-gopro-raw-photos-on-the-gopro-fusion-studio-app

Artboard 1.png
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

@marcost141 It says stitch raw "photos". It doesn't say stich the raw "files". I think they have provided a very usable solution with a lot of flexibility to use the raw files in other software and still created a stitched photo using Fusion Studio.

Highlighted
Tourist

Mmmm, lets see, the file we are talking about its a photo... then file means foto in this particular case. Anyway, people will read this and judge. 

I think is a great advance that we can finally play around with the RAW files/fotos, that is true and I agree. Comes quite late (I remove the RAW option months ago and purchase an alternative to deliver high quality 360 panoramas). But the timing is not the point, the point is what they claim, but as I say, people will read, see and judge. They don't pay me, so I won't defend them if they do thins wrong. I am just a very upset customer.