Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Still no alternative for fusion studio?

It's a long shot but has anyone figured out a way around stitching using studio yet?

The badly thought out workflow is making the camera unsable for me.

I love the quality but it's not worth grinding my PC every night.

Nomad

Re: Still no alternative for fusion studio?

1:  Add clip

2:  Adjust length of clip.

3:  Select output

4:  Render

That's complete stitching in just 4 steps.  How's that a bad workflow?

Tourist

Fair comment, on re-reading my comment I wasn't being clear as I was getting particulary furstrated at the time, let me clarify by adding a few steps.

1:  Add clip

2:  Adjust length of clip.

3:  Select output

4:  Render

5. Wait

6. Wait

7. Wait

8. Sleep

9. Check and repeat

I presume the cause of my frustrations is due to the camera actually being cameras and the resultant outputs needing significant processing, unlike other devices which were designed from the ground up to be a coherent unit. 

Whatever the cause if anyone can point me to a package that can stitch even 30% faster than studio I'd be very grateful. 

Cheers. 

Tourist

?

I don’t know about how much faster - but faster, more reliable, and better stitches can be done in Mistika VR. You can actually use lots of stitchers to stitch Fusion footage. VR stitching takes time, big files + lots of processing = lots of time. Turning off features like optical flow and stabilization will speed things up too.

Nomad

So it's not the workflow you have an issue with, it's rendering time. 

There are some things you can do speed up rendering time (besides buying a faster PC).

Make sure you copy the files from the memory card to the PC for instance, don't try to render them directly from the camera.

Don't render using an external USB drive (even though some drives are USB 3.0 compatible, doesn't mean you're getting USB 3.0 speeds).

Invest in a large (fast) SSD drive and render your footage directly from and to that drive.

Unless you're intending to make 4K Hi Def professional broadcast material, don't render in Prores and don't render at 5.6K.  Fact is your audience is probably only going to watch the clip on youtube, may not even be at 1080P or even full screen.  So don't do work you don't have to do.  Heck the only time I render a full HQ clip is if it's being sent in to the local TV station.  

If I do have to render a HQ clip for broadcast, guess what?  I'm more likely to leave it rendering overnight so I can work on B roll footage and template integration.

Render Length!  Honestly, who the heck is going to sit down and watch an hour and a half of 360 video?  Most people stop watching after a minute or less.  So make sure you're only rendering the highlights and not wasting time rendering bits that just aren't interesting.