Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Starting WIFI from Camera (Hero 8)

How can I have the camera bring up the WiFi without using the app on my phone?  This is a shared camera and I don't expect everyone to load the app on their phone just to bring up the wifi.

As best as I can tell, I have to open the app *and* start a live view before the camera brings up the WIFI.  Then I can have my laptop connect to the WIFI, and it *appears* to stay up as long as the laptop's connected.  But it seems I have to do this every time to get the camera to bring up the WIFI.

I just want the wifi to fire up any time the camera is on.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Starting WIFI from Camera (Hero 8)

Hi @mitchellm2613

You can keep the Wireless Connection ON on your camera.

The camera's connection to the app will remain active for about 8 hours.

After that, you would just need to refresh the connection.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

But it still requires the *app* to start the WIFI network.  Say I don't have my phone with me or available.  After powering up the camera, is there any way to have the WIFI start automatically, when the camera powers on?  I don't want to be dependent on the app.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @mitchellm2613

You don't need the app to change the Wi-Fi option on the camera.

On the LCD screen, swipe down then go to Preferences>Connections> Wireless Connections> On/Off

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks. That's really what I expected would happen.  In fact, the (3rd party) software vendor I was working with today was totally expecting that I'd see the WIFI newtork listed on my laptop the whole time.  I have to open the app on my phone and start a live view, *then* the WIFI network shows up and my laptop can connect to it.  When I power off the camera the wifi network goes away (expected), but when I power it back up, the WIFI doesn't come back until I startup the app on my phone again, *and* start a live view.

Highlighted
Nomad

"Wi Fi" is a communications protocal.  Your camera uses Bluetooth as a handshake protocal to your smart phone (and basic camera control).  Once the bluetooth handshake is established the WiFi on the camera turns on.  If you leave your camera powered on the WiFi will stay on.  if you power off the camera, the WiFi turns off but the bluetooth remains on for 8 hour waiting for another handshake.

Your camera doesn't use WiFi to connect to your computer unless you are using 3rd party software such as "actioncam2pc" (formaly known as gopro2obs)".  

Highlighted
Sightseer

This is only kind of correct. Wifi and Bluetooth are both wireless communication technologies, in their most generic sense. There is no need for Bluetooth if the WIFI network provided by the camera would start on its own at boot. As it stands right now, I'm having ot use the app on my phone (which subsequently leverages a Bluetooth connection to the camera) to start up the WIFI network, when the app./camera deem it necessary (ex. live view).

I'm pretty confident in my understanding of what is going on. But it seems I might not be clear in what I'm wanting.

I neither care about the app nor Bluetooth -- I simply want the WIFI network to come up so my laptop can connect to it (and subsequently talk with the camera) when I power on the camera.

Apparently this is the way the cameras used to work (so I hear, I've not personally owned anything prior to the Hero 8).
Highlighted
Nomad

This is only kind of correct. Wifi and Bluetooth are both wireless communication technologies,

No one is arguing that point.

There is no need for Bluetooth if the WIFI network provided by the camera would start on its own at boot.

This is completely untrue.  WiFi uses quite a lot of power compared to bluetooth, if the WiFi were to stay on the whole time it would have quite an affect on the life of the GoPro battery.  Bluetooth on the other hand has a much lower power consumption so it makes lots of sense to have the WiFi disabled until the "handshake" takes place.  In fact it's now a new feature of the app, control over your camera without activating WiFi at all (and therefore you have no live preview due to the limited bandwith of the current bluetooth).

As it stands right now, I'm having ot use the app on my phone (which subsequently leverages a Bluetooth connection to the camera) to start up the WIFI network, when the app./camera deem it necessary (ex. live view).

it's now a new feature of the app, control over your camera without activating WiFi at all (and therefore you have no live preview due to the limited bandwith of the current bluetooth).

I'm pretty confident in my understanding of what is going on. But it seems I might not be clear in what I'm wanting.

Seems you want the WiFi to stay active the whole time instead of relying on a bluetooth handshake to turn it on.

I simply want the WIFI network to come up so my laptop can connect to it (and subsequently talk with the camera) when I power on the camera.

This is unlikely to happen due to the power consumption issue.  Many people complain about the life of the GoPro battery being so short, so GoPro will do everything they can to extend the life, see the current itteration of the app using bluetooth to control the camera without activating WiFi for proof.

Apparently this is the way the cameras used to work (so I hear, I've not personally owned anything prior to the Hero 8).

This is somewhat true of the GoPro 2 (it required a WiFi backpack to work), the GoPro 3 and GoPro 4.  The 2, 3, and 4 had no Bluetooth built in and only supported WiFi.  They also has a BUS port on the back of the camera allowing additional power packs to be added so battery life was not too big a concern.  However since the GoPro 5, bluetooth has been built in and thus work the way this has been described.  Please note that GoPro have never supported communication with any of their camera's using WiFi.  Neither the desktop apps or GoPro supported this.  With the GoPro 2, 3 and 4 you could get a Low resolution WiFi stream from the camera using VLC player but that was it.  There was no camera control whatsoever

You can get a HD stream from the 8 using the forementioned software in a previous reponse, but this is a stream only and will not allow you to control your GoPro at all via WiFi.