Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Split Video Files - Chaptering

[ New ]

Hi there, 

My GoPro hero 7 is chaptering (of course) which means it is splitting the video files. I have heard utterance that there is a firmware update on the Hero 8 which stops this chaptering. 

Is this true (for the hero 8)? 

And Can I stop this on the Hero 7? 

Thank you in advance for your time and solution! 

Ed

Backpacker

Re: Split Video Files - Chaptering

[ New ]

Is this true (for the hero 8)? 

No, it is not true.  There is the GoPro Labs Firmware available for the GoPro Hero 8 that will increase the size of the chaptered files from 4gb to 12gb, this comes at the cost of putting your footage at more risk for loss and making it incompatible with the GoPro app.

No you can't and nor should you.  Chaptering is there for a reason, it's a way to protect your footage from loss in the event of a read/write error.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

When splitting video files (chapters), is there any overlap between files? (duplicate portion on both files) If yes, how many frames or seconds?

Backpacker

[ New ]

No, there is no overlap, your GoPro can only write one file at a time, writing the same information to two files at a time would not be possible.

The GoPro supports at max file size, once that file size is reached, the file is immediately closed and a new file is created.  Once you combine these files in the video editor the transition is seamless.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is still true on the Hero 9, and is the reason I will be returning it

No you can't and nor should you.  Chaptering is there for a reason, it's a way to protect your footage from loss in the event of a read/write error.  

Nor should I? How about add a simple menu setting that lets ME make the decision as to whether I want the risk? In 4 years of using other sport cameras with literally 100+ matches recorded, I have had exactly 1 file fail to close and was corrupt. And it was a simple task to find a FREE utility online to fix it. This is while the camera was being hit with volleyballs during recording. When you're recording 1 hour games and then need to upload to HUDL, or youtube, or some other video service, it needs to be a single file, not to mention when you want to show it to the team and not open 9 different files to do so.

Obviously people have been asking for this, it should not be this hard to add an option to prevent 'Chaptering'. I would not have bought it in the first place if I had known this was the only option.