Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Some issues with the new Black

Hi all, 

I've used my Gopro for 2 times now, and there are some issues that I want to share with you. First, I don't think it's because of my SdCard. Maybe someone could verify it? I'm using the SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA from Sandisk. It's the 64gb version where the 32gb version is listed in the recommended cards. I don't think that's an issue? https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

So the problems I had:

• After an firmware update, my Gopro refuses to power on. I've to remove the battery, and put it in again for starting it. 
  • I've been using it at an indoor ski facility, where the temparature should be -5 degrees (based on information on their website). The GoPro suddenly gives a notification about not able to stabilize the footage because of cold temparature?
  • After putting my Gopro on again on top of the slope, the SD card gives an error, saying that I have to format it before I can use it again. After power off, skiing down, and power on again, everything works fine again.
  • Last: When the battery still gave 40 percent, suddenly I hear beeps from the Gopro shutting down. Again I couldn't power on it again. When we arrived home, the Gopro was able to power on again, and the battery still remains at 38 percent.

Can somebody give me some information about these problems? Thanks a lot!

Explorer

Re: Some issues with the new Black

The card appears to be the correct card, although when I search I get both the old SanDisk Extreme and the new one that has v30 printed on it. If it's the older version, it very well could be the card. SanDisk released some pretty poor performing SD cards a couple years ago and the non v30 were among them.

If you can test with another card from the list that would be helpful.

Also, try doing a FULL (not quick) format of the SD card in your computer. Perform a manual update and then format the card in the camera followed by a reset.

Hopefully that addresses most of your issues.

When it comes to the cold, unfortunately lithium batteries can be very finicky. Keeping the camera close to your body when not in use is helpful. Also, when in cold environments, using the Super Suit will help capture and retain the heat. Using anti-fog strips is also recommended.
Tourist

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm using the newer V30 ones from Sandisk. I will try to get a other card which is on the list, I think my colleague has one. 

I will try the formatting of the SD card, and then perform the actions on the GoPro as well as you described.

About the cold, I don't really understand why a Gopro can't perform under -5 degrees. It's logical that the batteries are not as good as in normal conditions, but the stabilization message is strange. When I look the footage back, of where the message popped up, it seems fine for me, so very strange behaviour. 

I will try too get some issues reproduced tonight, when I can reproduce it, I will test it tomorrow with another SD card. Thanks for the help!

Explorer

No problem. When the HERO5 and then HERO6 first released there were similar issues. Unfortunate if the HERO7 initially has the same (updates tend to come out 1-2 months after release as GoPro gets more information from users). Nobody likes to be the Beta-Testers, but it's just a reality.

Glad to hear you might be able to borrow a different card. Hate for people to spend money when were not positive that it's the issue (tends to be, but not 100%).

Best of luck!
Tourist

Yesterday I've tested the GoPro again. Everythings works fine, I've charged it up completely, and tested it until it was empty. Changed some resolutions, take some shots (the longest was 24 minutes), and nothing was wrong at it. 

This morning, I've charged it up completely and tested it, the first power on works fine, after powering off, and on again, the screen was frozen. I've added an attachment of it. I'll try to get another error, and after that I will format the SD card as daniel described.

20181002_082252.jpg
Hiker

@jordyv3334

Hey, i got the same wonky screen as mentioned in my thread too

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero7black-some-issues-i-have/m-p/242009#/M69652

seems we are not alone..i had to pull out my battery to fix it....hope gopro notices this.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Same over here, pulling out the battery fixed it, after starting it up again, everything works fine. Very strange issues. Which SD card do you use?

Edit: Ah, I see your SD card already in your post. Also a not supported SD card. Maybe that's the issue.

Tourist

[ Edited ]

I've another error again. This time after completely formatting the SD card on the pc, and formatting it again on the GoPro itself, I've reproduced (2 times) the SD card error (which I got on the ski slope aswell). Attachment added.

I will try the SD card from my colleague, that one is definitely on the recommended list. If I can't reproduce the issues with that one, I will send my sd cards back, and get some others. I'll keep you up-to-date!

20181002_093456.jpg