Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Some issues with the new Black

[ New ]

Hi all, 

I've used my Gopro for 2 times now, and there are some issues that I want to share with you. First, I don't think it's because of my SdCard. Maybe someone could verify it? I'm using the SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA from Sandisk. It's the 64gb version where the 32gb version is listed in the recommended cards. I don't think that's an issue? https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

So the problems I had:

• After an firmware update, my Gopro refuses to power on. I've to remove the battery, and put it in again for starting it. 
  • I've been using it at an indoor ski facility, where the temparature should be -5 degrees (based on information on their website). The GoPro suddenly gives a notification about not able to stabilize the footage because of cold temparature?
  • After putting my Gopro on again on top of the slope, the SD card gives an error, saying that I have to format it before I can use it again. After power off, skiing down, and power on again, everything works fine again.
  • Last: When the battery still gave 40 percent, suddenly I hear beeps from the Gopro shutting down. Again I couldn't power on it again. When we arrived home, the Gopro was able to power on again, and the battery still remains at 38 percent.

Can somebody give me some information about these problems? Thanks a lot!

Explorer

Re: Some issues with the new Black

[ New ]
The card appears to be the correct card, although when I search I get both the old SanDisk Extreme and the new one that has v30 printed on it. If it's the older version, it very well could be the card. SanDisk released some pretty poor performing SD cards a couple years ago and the non v30 were among them.

If you can test with another card from the list that would be helpful.

Also, try doing a FULL (not quick) format of the SD card in your computer. Perform a manual update and then format the card in the camera followed by a reset.

Hopefully that addresses most of your issues.

When it comes to the cold, unfortunately lithium batteries can be very finicky. Keeping the camera close to your body when not in use is helpful. Also, when in cold environments, using the Super Suit will help capture and retain the heat. Using anti-fog strips is also recommended.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm using the newer V30 ones from Sandisk. I will try to get a other card which is on the list, I think my colleague has one. 

I will try the formatting of the SD card, and then perform the actions on the GoPro as well as you described.

About the cold, I don't really understand why a Gopro can't perform under -5 degrees. It's logical that the batteries are not as good as in normal conditions, but the stabilization message is strange. When I look the footage back, of where the message popped up, it seems fine for me, so very strange behaviour. 

I will try too get some issues reproduced tonight, when I can reproduce it, I will test it tomorrow with another SD card. Thanks for the help!

Explorer

[ New ]
No problem. When the HERO5 and then HERO6 first released there were similar issues. Unfortunate if the HERO7 initially has the same (updates tend to come out 1-2 months after release as GoPro gets more information from users). Nobody likes to be the Beta-Testers, but it's just a reality.

Glad to hear you might be able to borrow a different card. Hate for people to spend money when were not positive that it's the issue (tends to be, but not 100%).

Best of luck!
Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I've tested the GoPro again. Everythings works fine, I've charged it up completely, and tested it until it was empty. Changed some resolutions, take some shots (the longest was 24 minutes), and nothing was wrong at it. 

This morning, I've charged it up completely and tested it, the first power on works fine, after powering off, and on again, the screen was frozen. I've added an attachment of it. I'll try to get another error, and after that I will format the SD card as daniel described.

20181002_082252.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

@jordyv3334

Hey, i got the same wonky screen as mentioned in my thread too

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero7black-some-issues-i-have/m-p/242009#/M69652

seems we are not alone..i had to pull out my battery to fix it....hope gopro notices this.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same over here, pulling out the battery fixed it, after starting it up again, everything works fine. Very strange issues. Which SD card do you use?

Edit: Ah, I see your SD card already in your post. Also a not supported SD card. Maybe that's the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've another error again. This time after completely formatting the SD card on the pc, and formatting it again on the GoPro itself, I've reproduced (2 times) the SD card error (which I got on the ski slope aswell). Attachment added.

I will try the SD card from my colleague, that one is definitely on the recommended list. If I can't reproduce the issues with that one, I will send my sd cards back, and get some others. I'll keep you up-to-date!

20181002_093456.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope you get a working, and consistent, solution 🙂
Nomad

[ New ]

Maybe try turning up the resolution and/or framerate or even WiFi? This generates more heat which shortens battery life but in your case may create extra life by heating the battery. Let us know how the other SD card works. Have you formatted the card and done a manual update? How about the physical card contacts? Any corrosion, bent pins, etc.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all, 

I've contacted the GoPro customer service for pointing the issues I had. They told me some stuff about manual updating and formatting sd cards. Also told me to try a recommended card instead and look for errors. There was not really an answer about the stabilization in cold weather. Recommended was the super suit so that the heat can build up a little bit inside the case. I will contact the customerservice again when I'm done testing with the recommended card and ask again about the cold temperatures.

I've now tested a bit with my own card. It's not the A1 type of the card, but the A2 (I've got the wrong cards sended). The A2 should be better then the A1, but it seems that the GoPro can't handle the A2 cards. After manually update the Hero 7 and format the SD cards on the computer + in the GoPro, I've created the frozen screens 2 times now with the 64gb A2 card. I also get the sd card error several times if I start the GoPro, shut it down after it was started (then it takes a second or 5/10 to completely shutdown), and after the screen is black, start it up again.

I'm now trying the SD card from my colleague, it's a Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32 GB I. That one is listed on the recommended cards. With this card I also get the SD card error which described above, but I didn't reproduce the frozen screen yet. I will test it today a little bit more. 

If this card won't get any other problems, I will return my 2 A2 cards and ask for the A1 type. This should work for the 32gb and 64gb what the customerservice from GoPro told me.

Explorer

[ New ]
Thanks for the update. The best SanDisk Extreme cards to use have v30 printed on them.
Tourist

[ New ]
Update: Got the frozen screen again with the "recommended" sd card from my colleague. This time it came when I shut off the camera. It takes some seconds, and then the green lines appear with the frozen screen. So, if the "recommended" cards are not working, what does? I will test it a little bit more, and then go back to the customer service. Let's hear what they say.
Hiker

[ New ]

Your updates are getting me worried more and more.

**bleep** even i had that frozen screen once...but it did not repeat as yet.

Nomad

[ New ]

@danielr15 - "No problem. When the HERO5 and then HERO6 first released there were similar issues. Unfortunate if the HERO7 initially has the same (updates tend to come out 1-2 months after release as GoPro gets more information from users). Nobody likes to be the Beta-Testers, but it's just a reality."

You are to kind on GoPro again. They continue to release cameras with non-tested firmware versions. What is worse is that the same kinds of errors repeat themselves again and again. Evry year. And with the Hero7 Black being very close to the Hero6 in terms of hardware there really is no excuses here.

Explorer

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 Whatever you say buddy.  Sorry to hear the raincloud is still pouring on your head.  Good luck with your short positions on GoPro's stock.  What you offer is clearly not an attempt to assist or help others, but rather just to chase me around this forum negatively attacking me and GoPro.  It's tiring really, but post away. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm sure that GoPro will fix some stuff in the coming months. But I will come back to you tomorrow after speaking the customer service. Today I will do some testing.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Recently purchased 7 black and am experiencing very similar issues as follows:

- GoPro sometimes not turning on, the gopro won't turn on until the battery is removed and replaced.

- Green pixelated lines appear acros the screen when switching between modes.

- GoPro sometimes won't turn off and the battery will have to be removed.

- Poor battery life - the gopro seems to go flat very quickly even when just used for photos

- GoPro displayed 0% battery shortly after being on 50% then turn off but will later turn back on with 40% battery

- The screen of the camera turned off and wouldn't turn back on until the battery was removed even though the camera was on

This is disapointing considering its substantial cost and hype.

Anyone have any tips to fix the issues?

Explorer

[ New ]
Have you run a manual update?
Make sure you are using a card off of this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Format the card (FULL not quick) in your computer and then again in the camera.
After doing the above (manual update and format) reset your camera to factory default.
Hiker

[ New ]

Any guidelines on how to manually update the 7black?

Explorer

[ New ]
On your computer, go to this site and download the manual update to your desktop https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Right click on the downloaded file and select Extract (You can extract this to your desktop as well). The results will be a folder named UPDATE

With a USB/SD adapter, remove the microSD from your camera, insert into the adapter and then put the adapter into your computer.

Using Explorer, navigate to the SD card drive and right click, select format. Uncheck the box that says Quick format, and then run.

Once the format is complete, copy the UPDATE folder over to the SD card drive

Right click and select Eject

Take the microSD and place into your camera

Turn the camera on, the update should start automatically.

The camera will turn off and on during the update. Do not mess with the camera until the update is complete.

Once done, go into the camera preferences and format the SD card.
Hiker

[ New ]

My camera is updated using the phone app....do u still recommend to update again using manual method?

Explorer

[ New ]
I do, it tends to correct issues more reliably.
Hiker

[ New ]

I checked in the proceedure of the link u provided, and it says to copy the contents of the UPDATE folder and not the folder itself, into the formatted sd card..

Please confirm.

Thanks.

Explorer

[ New ]
Copy the folder
Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, the text is not correct on that part. I was copying the files inside the update folder as well, it's not working. You have to copy the UPDATE folder itself. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @danielr15...

The manual update and card formatting did help in improving the battery slightly.

The camera was heating up while video recording before the manual update.

Now it is considerably cooler while operating.

The battery performance seems to have improved slightly.

But just a small one time hiccup i felt after the manual update is that when i reset the camera to factory settings, the camera screen froze at option of initial language selection. I had to pull our battery again to fix it and continue with the camera initial startup settings.

Regards,

Shomit

Nomad

[ New ]

I don't think this firmware update would so greatly affect (if even at all) the camera's heat factors.  

Those are a function of things like camera physical factors (unchanged by firmware) and data amounts to be processed at high speeds (4AK is still 4k, file sizes are still what they are..).    

More likely the ambient weather conditions or actual usage changed a bit. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I just received my unit, and not really good impression.

#1: For one, I didn't get the memory card that was supposed to come with every camera. Unless it's hiding in some strange fold in the package. Can someone confirm how the supplied memory card was placed in the packaging?

#2: Then it froze during the initial setup, had to remove battery.

#3: Updating the FW through phone seemed to work (it said all ok), but seemed it didn't. After removing battery it looked like the update was successful.

#4: It keeps disconneting from my phone a lot, and many times need to reboot camera and the connection multiple times to re-connect. Often it says password incorrect although I'm sure it was correct.

#5: the live streaming by the app only works on your personal page, not on the pages you manage (which I wanted to do)

#6: the RTMP streaming option (which would go to the page I want) only has input for URL but not the stream key. How the f you're supposed to set the streaming without the streaming key?? (see attached)

From those, #4, #5 and #6 are big pain points. #4 needs to work for sure, otherwise it's just expensive paper weight. Then #5 would be nice but at least make #6 work.

At this level that's such bs that I ordered the first day. And yes, where's the memory card they promised?

-Not so happy customer at the moment.

stream.png
Tourist

[ New ]

The firmware update isn't resolving the heat issues indeed, but maybe the frozen screens and sd card errors can be fixed. I've spoken to the customer service again yesterday. I have to say, this service from GoPro is excellent. They really try to figure out what's going on and take their time. Unfortunately there was no fix for my GoPro, since I've used the recommended card as well, and have the same problems (freezes, sd card errors). They told me to contact the reseller and ask for a replacement. So, that's what I'll do, I'll return the Hero 7 and get a new one. 

About the SD cards, there is something strange about the recommended list. If you look at the 2 cards at the top (https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories-2/sandisk-extreme-64gb-microsdxc/ASDMC-464-master.html). This seems to be an older card of Sandisk? Because if I look at the Sandisk site itself in the 64gb cards, there are only the new A2 cards available (of the Sandisk Extreme type). https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/list/categoryID.4879573400/includeVariations.true. Seems like GoPro offers the older cards only, and put these older cards on the recommended list? So the A2 card I'm using, should also work, just like the older not-A2 one. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I spent plenty time on chat trying to figure out the RTMP stream. Not sure if he didn't undestand me or I didn't him but we couldn't make it work. He was super nice and helpful, and spent long time trying to figure out but some reason none of his replies really helped.

Then I did quick youtube search and there was the answer. On the RTMP URL field, you copy&paste both the URL and stream-key. They really should add that part on the official instructions page. Currently it only says to use URL, and nothing about the stream key.

Did quick try and yes it streams to the page I wanted, so one success there. I wish the supplied FB client could automatically be able to select also pages I manage, not just my private profile. But this works too, just more work and I need laptop or something to help release the stream after it starts.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I've received my new Hero 7 today after sending it back to the reseller. It seems like the freezing / sd card error are solved now. 1 Time I still had the issue with the Actioncam not starting. After pulling out the battery and put it back in, the camera works again. Seems like the other problems are solved now.

I'm still using my own SD card, the Sandisk Extreme V30 A2 64GB card, and this one seems to work. I'm not able to check the camera again in the cold (in the indoor ski), but I'm still afraid of taking it too the slopes on the skitrip. I think the GoPro will have issues over there as well. Maybe I should buy a super suit for it, but 50 euro for keeping the GoPro warm seems idiot. Somebody tried cold weather already?