Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Solar eclipse

Hey karenj417 this is my actual account (last one was skrillexlovr) I wanted to let you know that I will be getting you information later today! Please high five this!

Please check out my channel, ThePhantomItch - GoPro Hero 5 Black for all gopro help comment on help you need and ill make a video for it!

Highlighted
Hiker

It will not affect your sensors, your all safe to do this! I have done all this before!

Highlighted
Hiker

This is my main account (the one named skrillexlovr was my test when first using GoPro) so right now I am testing I will get you all information when I'm done! Thanks! 

Highlighted
Sightseer

what settings would you recommend??

Highlighted
Hiker

As for settings, I am doing the following:

TimeLapse Photo

Only ProTune: Lowest ISO

Picture taken every 5 seconds

Wide Angle

I did the test today guys! I am using a super low exposure in GoPro Studio so that the only thing seen in the screen is the sun. The rest is black. Do this anyways you want, this is my way. I am currently having trouble with my thumbdrive, but I will get the test up on "ThePhantomItch - GoPro Hero 5 Black" on YouTube. I am hoping to have it up by tonight. This will show you my settings and how it came out. I think it did pretty good!

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm glad I found this thread as I am looking to do the same and I'm pretty green only owning my 5 since Monday. Any other tips for someone new to gopro? Thank you and cheers everyone
Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Some of the things to consider when planning to record the eclipse. I have not done so in the past so I only offer this as suggestions and welcome opposing thoughts/suggestions.

• Are you going to be editing the footage?
    • If yes, and you have Adobe photoshop or Lightroom, set the time laps to 5 seconds and turn on RAW
    • ISO 100 will give you the least amount of noise/grain but will also be darker when the eclipse is full, however you should be able to adjust the lift and gain to recover some detail lost in the darkness
  • What specifically are you hoping to capture?
    • If it's just the moon eclipsing the sun keep in mind that with a wide FOV the sun is going to be pretty small in the frame.  If you set up so the sun is near a mountain, building, or other object that will take up some of the frame, the sun will appear larger and will make the shot more interesting.
    • Recording with video will give you more freedom to capture the atmosphere of emotion and how the world around you looks during the eclipse. You can even capture the moon moving across the sun in time laps photo, and once it has reach it's maximum coverage, switch to video and film for a minute, and then return to time laps.
      • If you are going to record video ONLY while the sun is eclipsed, film in 4K, 2.7, or 1080p but use 24fps whichever you decide. Have your settings set prior to the eclipse and lock your shutter to 1/24 if you are in an area that is going to get total darkness. Set the ISO to no higher than 800 (Lower is cleaner, higher is brighter). 
      • When you start recording, lock the spot meter on the darkest portion of the screen (Selective Spot metering is done by long pressing the rear LCD until a smaller box appears. Tap or slide that box to the darkest portion of the screen).
      • White Balance (wb) looks best in dark situations if you set it manually. GoPro recommends 3000k for low light settings https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/HERO4-White-Balance-Setting-Information
      • GoPro Color actually looks pretty good in low light but if you want more control with your editor later on you can set this to Flat
      • Most people prefer sharpness set to medium. If you are going to adjust this with your editor, low might work better for you.  If you are unsure, stick with medium

Highlighted
Hiker

Hey karen sorry for the delay. My test is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZzIOiCofTk so I hope this helps. The exposure was too high but I hope the information helps!