Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Solar eclipse

I don't know if these statements are accurate?

Seems to me that intense sunlight, even with a wide angle lenses on GoPro, might burn a spot - although a small spot - on the sensor.

can anyone confirm or deny ??

Rick

Highlighted
Sightseer

While you won't need a filter, using one will change the effect. The GoPro lens is small enough that you can fashion one from the mylar in toss away solar eclipse glasses.

Highlighted
Tourist

i havent seen anything about putting a lens over the gopro. the only reason to is to have a smaller dot of the sun. what i have seen is that it would be best to do a time lapse video at a picure every 5 to 10 seconds. but what im not sure about is that i have seen use a high iso and a low iso does anyone know anything about what is better

Highlighted
Hiker

If I remember correctly the history of ISO dates back to film, the higher the iso, the more sensitive to light or "faster" the film, and the photos would be grainier, but great for stop motion at super fast shutter speeds, the lower Iso were less sensitive to light, or "slower" but great for hi def details.  Of course, the graininess and such doesn't apply, but a lower ISO should take some of the brightness out of the sun, while providing for darker sky.  A nod to old-time photogs, bringing the concepts forward for translation from old tech to new tech.  I could be remembering wrong, getting up there in years

Highlighted
Hiker

Putting a filter over the camera lens will not change the field of view, just the amount of light coming through.  I don't want a regular eclipse filter, it may be too intensely dark during totality.  I just stopped by my ophthalmologist and picked up a pair of those shades they give you when they dilate your pupils,  Not very strong, but better than nothing and not too strong

Highlighted
Hiker

Wait, old film designation was ASA, not ISO I think, but I think it is used similarly

Highlighted
Tourist

so are you soing to put thoes shades over the gopro

Highlighted
Sightseer

How did the testing go? I am wanting to capture it with my gopro too and wondering if I need a filter and what settings I should set it at