Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Solar eclipse

I want to time-lapse film the entire solar eclipse.  What are best settings to use for exposure.  I can rig a mild light filter, but I want to know all the best settings to use for all stages, and I worry about doing damage to the camera...

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Solar eclipse

I also hope to be filming the eclipse and would love advice on best setting to use.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Also would like best info on this!  Thank you

Highlighted
Tourist

You won't need a filter. 

Filters come into play when using long focal length telephoto/zoom lenses (typically with DSLRs) to get detailed images of the sun that will fill much of the frame. 

But at shorter focal lengths (i.e. wider angles), such as when using a GoPro, mobile phone, or even a DSLR with wide angle lens), there is no real risk of damaging the sensor. The sun does not occupy large enough of an area on the sensor.

Highlighted
Hiker

It would still be nice to avoid flare and get a little detail.  Nice to know that the camera sensors won't be destroyed, but I still hope for a usable time lapse vid.  I have already programmed for the lowest ISO, and I won't be using wide settings.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey karenj417, I plan on using a dark welding lense and the lowest ISO settings possible. I am gonna test this tmo. and will let you know how it comes out and if it reduces glare and gives a clean image...GL on your solar eclipse on 21st!

Highlighted
Hiker

ty, look forward to hearing

Highlighted
Tourist

I am going to do more research, and my name will now be ThePhantomItch so remember that