Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

So many questions! Please help me not hate this Hero 9!

[ New ]

Three weeks ago I bought a Hero 9. I want to love it. I'm not a stupid person. I actually work in technology. Yet I swear I want to throw this whole thing out the window.

I have read the guides. I've searched for YouTube videos. I'm still going in circles.

I have a whole host of questions. Would appreciate help on any/all of them I'll number them in case somebody wants to help piecemeal.. Equipment: iphone 12, Gopro Hero 9, mac laptop

1. Workflow. 

Let's say I go out, take a bunch of stills and video. I come home and want to look at them. I need a basic workflow. Do I plug it into laptop? Sync via cloud? Do something else? 

I have Quik on iphone. Quik on desktop (keeps crashing and they say that they are updating it in 2021, but can't say when), gopro app on phone, and a gopro subcription for a year that I access through desktop

Yet I feel like I am getting the media in different places - some on phone, some in cloud on gopro.com and some in quik. I can't seem to get them all in one place.

I have "auto import" turned on from the gopro app in phone. Yet it never seems to auto import anything. And when it does import, is that just to gopro on phone, or should that also match gopro.com on desktop?

Desired behavior: go out, take some stills and video. Come home. Import them in the fastest/easiest way possible.

2. voice controls. I have these turn on. They very seldom work. Tips appreciated

3. why does the camera get so hot when plugged in? I mean really, really hot!

4. ediiting videos and photos. Nothing super fancy, just trimming, splicing a bit, highlights/shadows/contrast etc. I thought Quik did this, but Quik on desktop crashes and I don't all of these large files on phone

5. whenever I plug in to laptop it says USB connected on camera, but i can't seem to actually do anything else, like upload media. 

Sorry for all of the rambling, but every time I try to figure this out, I go in circles and get fed up. I want to like this, but just not there yet.

6. When I have camera plugged in to laptop, and open Quik, it says I should connect the camera, turn camera on, import files when prompted. I am never prompted. Ever. 

HALP. Please. 

Tourist

Re: So many questions! Please help me not hate this Hero 9!

[ New ]

Just wanted to +1 this post. As someone who never owned a GoPro until the HERO9 - so I have nothing to compare it to - this seems like a highly unorganized and poorly planned out product. I expected by the 9th version of a product to see nothing but perfection in software, editing, options, and customization.

I have been sorely let down and will most likely refund this thing within a week if I can't find some solid answers to a few of my own issues with it as well as everything you've listed.

It is ridiculous that the year is 2021 and a company that's been in business as long as GoPro, combined with their mostly positive reputation, to see the editing options so limited.

I mean - limiting the editing to PHONES ONLY? WHAT THE ACTUAL F***? Where is the PC software that we should have supplied by GoPro to edit the videos their own cameras make? Why do I have to bog my phone space down, which also compresses videos and ruins quality, when GoPro should allow us to direct transfer raw files to our PC's for editing with an actual GoPro editor for the telemetry? WHY ARE MY VIDEOS SO INCREDIBLY BLURRY AND UNSTABLE WHEN ATTACHED TO SOMETHING LIKE A BICYCLE DURING OFF-ROADING? Every single little bump vibrates the entire image NO MATTER WHAT HyperSmooth setting I use. It looks NOTHING like other GoPro footage on YouTube who attach it to even rougher terrain and rides. The HERO9 has major issues.

I can use Adobe Premiere for my final cuts but to get telemetry you're forced to do a complete "GoPro cloud > Phone > Edit w/ Phone App > Re-upload to PC > Edit with our own external software process? INSANE. By the time it's back on my PC - the quality has been compressed and downgraded 3 times already so you don't even get the quality you recorded in. This needs immediate and urgent attention by GoPro. My mind is blown at the unprofessionalism and lack of preparation for a product release.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you, Merq! You laid it out much clearer than I did. After 2 glasses of wine, and 3 more hours watching videos and reading instructions, I was (once again) fed up.

I want to find a simple workflow from gopro to desktop to edit and then publish. Without paying anybody else for storage (I have a year GoPro subscription with unlimited cloud storage), or eating up storage on phone or computer.

I want to understand the interoperability between Quik, GoPro.com, gopro app on my iphone. How and where to upload. How to keep them in sync. It SOUNDS in theory as if Quik did what I wanted it to do on the laptop, but it's no longer supported (and crashes my laptop everyh time) and it's stated a new version will come out in "Early 2021". Yet I was just told there is no update.

One more item to my list:
- If i plug in to my laptop, it says "USB Connected", but nothing uploads, even though "auto upload" is turned on. It also doesn't seem to charge that way. It only charges if plugged into power (so, it can't charge off my laptop?).

Like you, I am shocked at how disorganized this is for a version 9. My big regret right now is that I am just outside of the return windw. 

Hiker

[ New ]

1. Workflow. 

Let's say I go out, take a bunch of stills and video. I come home and want to look at them. I need a basic workflow. Do I plug it into laptop? Sync via cloud? Do something else? 

I have Quik on iphone. Quik on desktop (keeps crashing and they say that they are updating it in 2021, but can't say when), gopro app on phone, and a gopro subcription for a year that I access through desktop

Yet I feel like I am getting the media in different places - some on phone, some in cloud on gopro.com and some in quik. I can't seem to get them all in one place.

I have "auto import" turned on from the gopro app in phone. Yet it never seems to auto import anything. And when it does import, is that just to gopro on phone, or should that also match gopro.com on desktop?

Desired behavior: go out, take some stills and video. Come home. Import them in the fastest/easiest way possible.

Well, regarding workflow: you could connect the GP9 to your computer, using a USB cable. I understand that this is the way you want to do it (see point 5 below and the solution). I do not recommend this way. The transfer rate is slow using this method. I suggest take out the SD card and use a SD card reader. Transfer your files to a "temp" directory on your HD/SSD and work from there. 

2. voice controls. I have these turn on. They very seldom work. Tips appreciated

You're absolutely right and I suggest forget about voice control and wait for a firmware update in which the implementation is much improved.

3. why does the camera get so hot when plugged in? I mean really, really hot!

Do you use high frame rates and bit rates? If yes, then this is the reason.

4. ediiting videos and photos. Nothing super fancy, just trimming, splicing a bit, highlights/shadows/contrast etc. I thought Quik did this, but Quik on desktop crashes and I don't all of these large files on phone

I suggest not to use Quik. Neither on the phone and neither as a desktop application. Invest for example in Adobe Premiere Light. It's about EUR 99 and it can do all you descibed and way more. Quik is just a nice gimmick. By the way, I disagree with the first reply stating that GoPro has to develop video editting software. It is a gesture from GoPro if they do. I also do not demand Canon, Sony, Nikon, JVC etc to develop editing software.

5. whenever I plug in to laptop it says USB connected on camera, but i can't seem to actually do anything else, like upload media. 

Sorry for all of the rambling, but every time I try to figure this out, I go in circles and get fed up. I want to like this, but just not there yet.

This is a setting in the GoPro menu. You have to change the USB tranfer protocol to MTP. see this video how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhxuVAIFWis

6. When I have camera plugged in to laptop, and open Quik, it says I should connect the camera, turn camera on, import files when prompted. I am never prompted. Ever. 

See point 5. Same thing

▶︎GoPro HERO9 Black - https://irixguy.com/gopro▶︎My Amazon Store - https://irixguy.com/amazonThis is how to download GoPro HERO9 Black videos to a computer u...
Tourist

[ New ]

@nicecrest670 wrote:

I suggest not to use Quik. Neither on the phone and neither as a desktop application. Invest for example in Adobe Premiere Light. It's about EUR 99 and it can do all you descibed and way more. Quik is just a nice gimmick. By the way, I disagree with the first reply stating that GoPro has to develop video editting software. It is a gesture from GoPro if they do. I also do not demand Canon, Sony, Nikon, JVC etc to develop editing software.

I am not asking GoPro make a software for fully editing videos - I am saying that from reading many different sources, you HAVE to use their software to get the telemetry guages on to the videos before you can officially edit them in other software - OR you have to pay for software that claims to be able to pull this data, but it won't appear or look like the official GoPro guages a lot of GoPro videos have.

So my complaint is that they don't have their product setup to easily add guages to your videos on a PC so I can then edit them in Adobe Premiere Pro later. The current and latest version of Quik for Desktop does not allow adding guages to HERO8 or HERO9 videos. Even says it on their website. Apparently you can only do this by doing multiple file transfers to your phone on the GoPro phone app, add guages there, and then trying to transfer it back to the cloud, then to a PC. During all of this, you are losing quality, especially if the phone doesn't re-upload in the same quality it downloaded. Not all phones will do this from my knowledge. It will compress and downsize the video.

Hiker

[ New ]

Please explain what you mean by: 'to get the telemetry guages' and why u need this? Are you reffering to date/time/GPS etc? 

Second: 'During all of this, you are losing quality, especially if the phone doesn't re-upload in the same quality it downloaded.'

This is not the way your workflow should be. Your video and pictures are stored on the SD card in the GoPro. The video and pictures on your phone are indeed a low resolution copy and are not ment to be used for editing. The video and picture files on the SD card are high quality. And - topic one - telemetry data is stored also in the files on the SD card and a simple "Show Info" command in Adobe Photoshop or Premiere reveals this data.

Suggested workflow is to to transfer the video and pictures from your SD card to your PC and then import and edit these file in a video editting program.

Hiker

[ New ]

@nicecrest670 Thank you very much for the detailed reply. It was so helpfui.

I just had a friend over for 3 hours working on this stuff. We pretty much got to the same conclusion regarding workflow.

First we consolidated everything into one folder. Then we did an import workflow into my Mac using Image Capture. From there I can bring photos and video anywhere I want. I'm not great at editing, so I started with iMovie. Maybe I'll do Premier Elements as I already have this software (don't ever use it, but I'm a beta tester for Photoshop Elements, so I end up getting it free every year). I totally scrapped all GoPro software (Quik, GoPro app, etc.). A shame that they don't have something to do this properly, but I guess like camera companies, it's not their forte (and that's also quite obvious).

The camera itself is quirky AF. 

Thanks for laying out the MTP import option. I'll be going straight into a micro card reader rather than messing around with cables or cloud. 

Hoping voice commands get better. I swim in winter with huge wetsuit gloves so it's hard to press buttons. (side note: voice commands are extra stupid because the actual wording when turning off unit is "powering off" but you have to say "turn off". Lots of video of me screaming "GOPRO POWER OFF".

Regarding the unit getting hot - I will check those settings. Thanks!

New questions:

1) back to the gloves and the voice commands. What I would really love is a floating stick that also has the shutter release on the stick itself. Then I could just hold it and start/stop/shoot. Any idea if anybody makes one of those?

2) I'm looking for some other floating solutions. Any idea if the GoPro Floaty Camera Case for Hero 9 attaches properly to a floating stick or a shorty stick, or anything else.Just having it in that orange case is fine as it's visible and floats, but I want that attached to something so I can shoot from higher angles.

Once again, you've been a huge help! 

Hiker

[ New ]

Good to hear that my comments got you further in this. Regarding your new questions:

1) back to the gloves and the voice commands. What I would really love is a floating stick that also has the shutter release on the stick itself. Then I could just hold it and start/stop/shoot. Any idea if anybody makes one of those?

As far I know, there are floating sticks but I'm not aware of a stick with build in shutter release for the hero 9 yet. There are floating sticks with shutter relase eg for the Gopro 5 (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Shutter-Release-Trigger-Waterproof-Floating/dp/B0752DJX21). Also the official GoPro floating sticks do not have shutter release. A floating stick I realy like is this one: https://www.nu-bear.com/?currency=EUR However, this is a startup project and you can pre-order. 

But, perhaps this remote control will do the job: https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/the-remote/ARMTE-003.html

It works with the GP9 and is waterproof, a range of 196 ft and can control up to 5 GP's. I suppose you can use this with gloves.

2) I'm looking for some other floating solutions. Any idea if the GoPro Floaty Camera Case for Hero 9 attaches properly to a floating stick or a shorty stick, or anything else.Just having it in that orange case is fine as it's visible and floats, but I want that attached to something so I can shoot from higher angles.

I'm not familiar with this floating case. I visited the GoPro page and looking at the pictures I suppose it can be mounted on any stick with the GoPro mount. But why not use the waterproof case for the GP9 (https://gopro.com/en/nl/shop/mounts-accessories/hero9-black-protective-housing-plus-waterproof-case/...) and use a floating stick with bright orange markings for visibility and that remote control? Would this work for you?