Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Shutting down

[ New ]

My hero 9 keeps shutting down while trying to capture footage while snowboarding 

Adventurer

Re: Shutting down

[ New ]

camera electronics are "Cold" (Question)?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Well know problem with lithium ion batteries, they just don't work well in the cold.  GoPro recently introduced the Enduro battery and I've put it through rigorous testing in cold weather and I can say that it does work.  It's compatible with the Hero 9 and Hero 10.

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know if it's the battery. By the time I get home from the mountains and turn the camera on its fine and with 80% battery.

Backpacker

[ New ]
That's because your batteries heat back up. It's not a problem of your batteries discharging, they are just too cold to work and therefore camera shuts down or refuses to start due to low power output.
Tourist

[ New ]

Then shouldn't GoPro supply new once

Backpacker

[ New ]
No
Tourist

[ New ]

Well if it's a well known issue with the batteries, then GoPro should do the tight thing and send us the new battery. After all thy did advertise the camera for use in the snow.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh we are with you,  get  gopro to correct, its better off to just go get a $24.99.00 plus $15.00 shipped battery  but if it is like I said a cold camera  always out, the camera will not work.

So every time we see these cellphone commercials, oh a free phone... yeah it does not apply to existing customers...

You have the subscription plan, for $19.00 get a Enduro bat. or buy today a gopro and they toss in a free one. per t heir advertisement on the main page

Untitled.png

Backpacker

[ New ]

Well if it's a well known issue with the batteries,

It's a well known problem with ALL lithium ion batteries.  This is why drones can fall out of the sky when the weather gets too cold to operate.  This is why EV vehicals powered by lithium ion batteries have to have a heating system installed around the battery packs to keep them warm in cold weather (ironically enough powered by the very same battery packs they are keeping warm).  This is why Cell Phones have to ramp up their processor speeds and increase backround performance (to overload the processor generating heat thus keeping the phone warm enough to operate which runs down the battery much faster).  This is why it's recommended when using the GoPro camera in the cold, to keep it in an inside pocket until you are ready to shoot therefore keeping the battery warm.

then GoPro should do the tight thing

GoPro are doing what every other device manufacturer are doing and informing customers how to get around the problem of cold batteries by simply keeping them warm. 

recall the junk and send us the new battery.

The batteries aren't junk and they perform perfectly fine.  The problem is a thing called "Physics" and "Chemistry".  We should just get rid of the laws of physics and then all our problems would be solved.

After all thy did advertise the camera for use in the snow.

Which it can be with no issues providing the user can follow simple instructions.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Wow, that is way too much gopro information.   in a short period this topic will "DIE" like the others  if interested get a Enduro. and get wit hgopro

Tourist

[ New ]

Your a funny guy and I'm not stupid. 
At no point did GoPro offer me info like keep the battery warm. If they advertise is as a snow sport camera it should perform in those conditions, not with a "well let us tell you this product is not as advertised".

Im sure ist some where on the small print, but I couldn't find anything like that on the original advertisement when the Hero9 came out..

I'll wait for my new battery to arrive. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Your a funny guy

I'm also good looking, talanted and very very very very very very very very very very modest.

and I'm not stupid. 

No one is saying that you are, but obviously you are unaware of the facts of lithium ion battery limitations.  Just because someone is unaware, it doesn't make them stupid.  You seem like a person who is eager to argue a point, takes a firm stance and isn't afraid to speak up.  If anything, that makes you quite clever. 

At no point did GoPro offer me info like keep the battery warm.

Actually the included documentation for the battery will state the operating temperatures, it's easy to overlook this though considering the amount of paperwork included with the GoPro and the tiny font size etc.   GoPro also think that people having issues can post on a public forum and be given the information they require, it's the whole point of the forum.  

If they advertise is as a snow sport camera it should perform in those conditions,

It does, there's plenty of footage online of people using their camera in the snow.  There's even some that tell you have need to keep the battery warm before shooting.  There's also similar complaints like yours about operating in the cold.  

not with a "well let us tell you this product is not as advertised".

No one is making that statement as it's not true.  Keep the battery warm, the camera can shoot in the cold.  .

Im sure ist some where on the small print,

Check the information that came with your camera that specifies operating temperatures.  It will be buried in there.

but I couldn't find anything like that on the original advertisement when the Hero9 came out..

Plenty of people film in cold conditions with no issues.  Some even use silicone protective cases to keep their camera protected from impact which also acts as an insulative case.  It may also be worth investing in that as the silicone case is bright orange.  So if you drop your camera in the snow, it's going to be very easy to find and you may also get away with using a standard lithium ion battery if you need to.

I'll wait for my new battery to arrive.

Hopefully it works out for you.  I recently did a cold weather test myself in cold conditions which reached -20.  The standard battery died very early, the battery inside the airplane cockpit (which would have been kept warmer in the cabin) also died from the cold, whereas the two enduro batteries (one in my Hero 9, one in my Hero 10) but functioned with no issues and they were on the wings of the airplane (so they were also dealing with wind chill temps at a 3000FT level @ 120 knotts).  Knowing that, I'm pretty sure it will work well on the slopes for you.  There's also the additional runtime you'll get from the camera.  It will vary depending on modes, features activated etc, but during a battery test of 4K 30FPS Bit Rate High, Hypersmooth off (it was tripod mounted) I got about 1hr 45 mins  using the enduro battery compared to 1hr 31mins using the standard battery.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

Wow again overly  too much info, sounds like some one wants to sel lyou, maybe they can ship you their working camera and battery.

Adventurer

[ New ]

It is 22 degrees outside  two things i can do

A) go out side and film

B) put the camera & Enduro  outside for an hour or so and try to film

C) put  the camera only out, and enduro inside  for a few hours and record

which scenerio will work 100% 

A) will work no issue

B) will fail to work

C) will work no issue

Why?  Ask @demonviewllc  hedid it all.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is my last post here then I'll just discourage people from buying GoPro if they're buying it for snow sport.

If the old batteries are that great and that convenient to use ( keeping the battery separate and warm) I wonder why they developed n new one for cold weather.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Who is "They"?

GoPro are not a battery development company.

Advances in lithium ion batteries resulted in battery companies developing several things.

1:  Using an electrolyte in the batteries which enables conductivity in much colder weather.  This is especially of interest to EV companies, other electronics manufactures etc.

That was actually early in the year and has been a commerical success.  GoPro have obviously released a new battery based upon this developement by their supplier so people have a longer lasting battery and one that does not require it to be kept warm.

2:  Solid state batteries

3:  Lithium oxygen batteries

As there is more invention and progression in battery technology, GoPro will also look at purchasing batteries and selling them based on technology developements.  Otherwise we'd have 10 minute lasting batteries because we'd still be using Alkaline technology.  

You can discourage people all you want from buying a GoPro for use in cold weather, but online reviews of newer batteries, online reviews of GoPro's being used in the cold, in the snow, flying over snow covered mountains will just prove you wrong.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

sorry to say,  time to lock  the thread