Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Shutter Speed changing to longer than 5 sec

Exactly the same problem as I have. So disapointed :/

Highlighted
Anonymous

Is GoPro even listening? So much advertising and no support. This is not the way to keep your customers.

Highlighted
Explorer

I suggest writing to GoPro directly https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus.

While GoPro monitors this site, this is primarily a user community support.  By emailing them you will generate a problem ticket and will have a contact person assigned to you.

I too was very disappointed to find that the Hero5 Session doesn't have longer shutter speeds and was equally confused by the presentation in the manual (It took me three times reading through it until it made sense to me). However, the current setting limitation isn't completely worthless.  I've still been able to get some decent night shots, but it's certainly not as good or versatile as my Hero4 Silver or Hero5 Black.  This is a shot I got at about 11pm during an almost full moon. I used the mobile app to trigger the shutter.

1.jpg

With some editing and noise correction I'm sure you can still get some nice night shots.

Regards,

Daniel

Highlighted
Explorer

You can also create shots like this with only a two second shutter

original.jpg

https://gopro.com/news/How-to-Create-and-Capture-Fire-Rain-with-Night-Lapse

Highlighted
Anonymous

I've sent them an email explaining the problem and got this as an answer. I've emailed them again since then but got no answer. Not sure what American law is however I believe this is false advertising and they can be sued, correct?

This is their email:

"
Thanks for reaching out to us, I'd be happy to help you out.

The HERO5 Session has quite a few options as far as the time lapse goes. It is a little bit confusing because there is a time lapse video, and then just a normal time lapse mode. The video mode will create a video from all the pictures automatically but will give you less flexibility. For what you are trying to use it for I would suggest using the the regular time lapse option. This will give you a wider variety of shutter speeds to choose from, including the 30 sec interval. Here is a link that will show you all the settings that your camera is capable of.

https://shop.gopro.com/cameras

Let me know if you have any further questions."

Not sure what the next step will be. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you guys know.
I've checked and Session 5 manual is still up with the possibility of a 30 second shutter speed
Highlighted
Anonymous

This is a deal breaker for me. Wont buy it  - i'm really pissed about such a ridiculous software limitation.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Mark me down as another that bought this under false pretense... This is false advertising... Now that it's April, has anyone else heard anything on this yet? Is there a firmware update coming?

Highlighted
Explorer

Interval and shutter speed are two different things. The manual does specifically say 2 and 5 seconds, but using the same table as the Hero5 Black to provide examples as to when to use what shutter speed is confusing.

I don't anticipate a "fix" for this, but you never know. I don't expect it, but usually these kinds of updates happen just prior to the release of a new camera. If it happens, it will most likely be in September-November as new cameras are usually announced and released around October.