Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Shutter Speed changing to longer than 5 sec

@Anonymous has summarized the issue well. Page 51 of the manual appears to state functionality that the camera does not have. Page 50 discusses the shutter interval, but Page 51 is specific to the amount of time the shutter is open. From @danielr15's comment it sounds like this table was taken directly from the Hero 5 Black manual and the Hero 5 Black may actually have these additoinal shutter time settings. 

Highlighted
Nomad
Nomad

Thanks all above for eventually clarifying the theory and practice of night lapse and specifically what is and is not possible with the Hero5 Session. I agree that a rewrite of the manual is clearly in order, ( maybe the gurus involved in the discussion above ought to help ! )

It is very disappointing, however, that the Night Lapse option on the Session cannot seemingly take a timelapse of the stars at night if that requires a 20-30sec exposure as @Anonymous implies - bang goes my planned shoot in the mountains of NZ next year.....

Now maybe the same gurus can work out how to get the front LED to stop blinking on recording on the new Session ( try selecting that option under setup and see what happens ..... ! )

Highlighted
Anonymous

Came here to seek clarity on the exact same issue. Had perused the owners' manual before purchasing and was under the impression that I'd be able to long-exposure (i.e., greater than 5 seconds) night lapses. Is it possible to get an update to the firmware that would allow for longer exposure times? I find it hard to believe that there's a hardware limitation that wouldn't allow for longer exposure durations.

A bit bummed to find this out...

Highlighted
Anonymous

I bought the Hero5 Session under the impression that I would have the ability to capture night sky pictures with long exposures (past 3 or 5 seconds). This is a huge bummer. I also find it hard to believe that the hardware inside the Hero5 session limits the exposure to 5 seconds. I would love to see a firmware update giving us this option.

Please!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Agree with the above bought the camera specifically looking for long night exposures as winter is dark here!

Highlighted
Anonymous

same here! I was looking forward to shooting the northern lights... please update the firmware!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Seriously bummed out! What a waste of time and money! The fact that it says it can be done is the ONLY reason why got the Session. Had it stated that it was limited to 5 sec. shutter speed, I never would have even considered buying the product. Messed up, GoPro...that's messed up. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey guys!
I have just got my brand new GoPro Hero 5 Session and i am upset! I bought this Camera especially for longtimeexposure pic and now i can set the shutterspeed only to lame 5sec?! Seriously GoPro ?! Please bring out a new firmware update an let us set the exame shutterspeed like on the Hero 5 Black. I really thinking about bringing my GoPro back to the store, bacause i simply dont understand you GoPro team. Pleeeeas fix it guys! Pls, PLS!

Best greats from the cold Austria

Clemens