Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Shutter Speed changing to longer than 5 sec

I want to change the shutter speed to a longer time for night photo and night time lapse. The manual says it can be changed up to 30 sec shutter speed, but I can only change it to 2 or 5sec in any mode. Is it actually possible?

Hero5 Session

Max

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Shutter Speed changing to longer than 5 sec

I am having a similar problem with my Hero5 Session. In Night time lapse mode i only see 2 and 5 second shutter speeds. I am trying to set it to "Auto" as indicated in the manual, but am having no luck. 

rockymesa3548 - when trying to set a 30 second shutter speed, have you set your interval to 30 seconds or greater? 

Highlighted
Explorer

@Anonymous @Anonymous

I don't have my camera handy but will try and remember to look at it tonight and update this, however I believe the settings should be:

Shutter : 30 Sec
Interval : Continuous
Protune : On

Highlighted
Explorer

So I just got home and I went through the settings and I couldn't find a way to set the shutter speed to higher than 5 seconds. I think this might be an error in the manual as the first mention of shutter speed for time laps only mentions 2 & 5 seconds. The Hero4 Silver and Black ( and I assume Hero5 Black) have the functionality to set longer shutter speeds and I'm able to do it, but unfortunately it does not seem possible with the Hero5 Session. Perhaps this will change in future firmware updates.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Same problem here, manual says it is an option but i cannot find any mechanism in the app (or on the Session itself) to set beyond 5 seconds. Makes night lapse a little bit pointless.

If the manual says its possible... then it should be.

GoPro.. over to you?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous @danielr15 @Anonymous @Anonymous

Good question. The HERO5 Session offers shutter options of Auto, 2s, and 5s. The HERO5 Black has shutter options of Auto, 2s, 5s, 10s, 20s, and 30s.

To get to the longer shutter settings, your camera has to be in Night Mode within the Photo options. Here is how to do it...

HERO5 Black (on camera)

1. Shift to Photo mode (icon in lower left corner)

2. Under Photos, select Night

3. Bottom row will be the "SHUTR" option. Click that.

4. Select your duration.

HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session (using Capture)

1. Shift to Photo mode (icon in lower right corner next to wrench)

2. Under Photos, select Night

3. Click on Settings (the wrench)

4. Under Photo Settings, look for "Shutter" and select your option

HERO5 Session (on camera)

1. Shift to Photo mode

2. Cycle through the options when highlighted on "Photo" until you can select "Night"

3. Cycle through the options under "Auto" to select your option (2s or 5s)

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Nomad
Nomad

I think the issue here is not HOW to change the time lapse intervals, rather that the User Manual for the Hero5 Session clearly states 

"Night Lapse Photo Interval

Interval determines the rate at which photos are captured. Night Lapse intervals are Continuous, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 seconds, and 1, 2, 5, 30, and 60 minutes. Intervals of 4 and 5 seconds are available only when Shutter is set to 2 seconds."

The Capture app options are 2 or 5 seconds as you state but the User Manual gives the options as above. The question therefore is whether the firmware/software is correct/incorrect or the User Manual is correct/incorrect

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks @jefft appreicate the post, however as JCD also posts, the question is why are these the only settings available for the Session when the manual states it has functionality to allow proper Night Lapse with shutter times that extend past the 2 and 5 seconds out to 10, 20 and 30 seconds.

Regs

Ben