Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Should I always keep the stabilisation on?

Hello

I really enjoy the stabilization feature in the GoPro6. Most often, I shoot in 2.7K/60fps with stabilization on. However, I have a question: Does it make sense to sometimes turn the stabilization off? I mean, for stable shots like standing still, walking slow etc. - will the quality then be better by turning the stabilization off? Or does it not make sense, i.e. I can just let it be on all the time? If it does not change anything, I will just keep the stabilization on all the time as you never know when you will have to move the camera fast..

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Should I always keep the stabilisation on?

For the most part, keeping stabilization on wont have much of an effect on reducing quality. You don't want to use it in low light; however, with the new firmware the EIS seems to reduce itself enough as to not cause issues.

You will get a 10% crop of the overall picture with stabilization turned on as well as occasional "jello" effect when moving the camera fov quickly. However, the trade off is having considerable shake in your video so it's best to keep it on. Since you are specifically asking about standing still and walking slow, there really wont be any benefit to turning it off.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Backpacker

you won't lose any quality from having stabilisation on or off, but the picture does get cropped. I mainly use my Hero 6 as a forward facing dashcam, so have it turned off as the wider angle is more important

Highlighted
Explorer

For the most part, keeping stabilization on wont have much of an effect on reducing quality. You don't want to use it in low light; however, with the new firmware the EIS seems to reduce itself enough as to not cause issues.

You will get a 10% crop of the overall picture with stabilization turned on as well as occasional "jello" effect when moving the camera fov quickly. However, the trade off is having considerable shake in your video so it's best to keep it on. Since you are specifically asking about standing still and walking slow, there really wont be any benefit to turning it off.
Highlighted
Nomad

There is no extra crop if you use LINEAR view and stabilization. ;-)

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thank you everyone! Appreacited :)