Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Shoot in 2.7K or 4K for 1080P render?

I'm wondering wouldn't the image quality of 1080p being better when shot in 1080p instead of 2.7k due to the pixel interpolation or is it not noticeable to the human eye?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Shoot in 2.7K or 4K for 1080P render?

If you're talking about filming in a higher resolution and then dropping that into a lower resolution time line for editing, the higher resolution (2.7) will look marginally better but will more importantly give you more flexibility with cropping/zooming.

If you plan to export as 1080 or edit with Quik (Desktop or mobile) then shooting with 1080 works best. If you are using a more advanced editor, the higher resolution will look better. I mostly edit in Adobe Premiere Pro and find that no matter what resolution I shoot at or sequence settings I use, exporting as 4K with max depth and a high bit rate looks best.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

From what I've heard, using the highest resolution possible is best because the camera has more pixels to choose from when picking the best color to make each pixel. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Highlighted
Adventurer

crop to zoom is best at 4K vs 1080P   also grabbing a photo off the higher resolution but also  higher res takes up more space on the sd as well puter as well cloud

Highlighted
Explorer

If you're talking about filming in a higher resolution and then dropping that into a lower resolution time line for editing, the higher resolution (2.7) will look marginally better but will more importantly give you more flexibility with cropping/zooming.

If you plan to export as 1080 or edit with Quik (Desktop or mobile) then shooting with 1080 works best. If you are using a more advanced editor, the higher resolution will look better. I mostly edit in Adobe Premiere Pro and find that no matter what resolution I shoot at or sequence settings I use, exporting as 4K with max depth and a high bit rate looks best.