Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Settings for Waterfall shooting?

[ New ]

Hi

I have been quite impressed with waterfall videos and photos shot using the GoPro . I have a few waterfalls nearby that I have previously filmed by drone, but want to try using the Gopro HB7 for the effects I can get from it. However I am still fairly new to using a camera without going full auto settings. So I have a couple of questions.

I love the slow motion effect in the video link below shot on a GoPro4. What would be the typical protune settings for that kind of effect in regards to ISO Min and Max and more importantly what FPS settings?

Regarding still shots to get the milky moving water effect why do some videos posted on Youtube say use ND filters and others say they are not needed?

Also whats the Shutter Speed for this as some seem to say 1/8 whereas others are 1s or 2s?

Thanks

Middle Black Clough waterfall in the Peak District UK shot on a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. This is a fantastic location for photographers and walkers. Check out my...

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Settings for Waterfall shooting?

[ New ]
The shutter speeds you are referring to are for photo, not video. ISO MIN and MAX should be as low as possible (ideally 100). To achieve the slow motion effect of this video, you want a frame rate of 120-240 fps. If you are not familiar with color grading, keep everything else Auto. You can try 1/240 shutter for 120fps or 1/480 shutter for 240fps but might need ND filters. This will make the waterfall in the background look more soft and fluid, but might induce more motion blur than you want for the close up water droplets.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
The shutter speeds you are referring to are for photo, not video. ISO MIN and MAX should be as low as possible (ideally 100). To achieve the slow motion effect of this video, you want a frame rate of 120-240 fps. If you are not familiar with color grading, keep everything else Auto. You can try 1/240 shutter for 120fps or 1/480 shutter for 240fps but might need ND filters. This will make the waterfall in the background look more soft and fluid, but might induce more motion blur than you want for the close up water droplets.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks Daniel. Much appreciated!