Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Setting a recording interval time - one button start & automatic stop?

Hello, I have a GoPro Hero5 Session. I'm wondering if there is any way (either with 3rd party support, programmable remote, etc) to set up my GoPro such that I can hit the record button where it will record video for a segment of time (for example 10 seconds) and it will automatically stop without me having to stop the recording myself. I'm a cyclist and enjoy the occasional short 5-10 second take to be later combined with other short takes into a short video. If I'm on a 2 hour bike ride of course I'm not going to just leave it running. The problem is its tough to keep track of when the camera is recording vs not recording when you are focused on riding, can't always hear the beep, not sure if you hit the button, etc. Even when everything is perfectly clear, theres a great use case for hitting a button in anticipation of a good moment knowing that it will stop recording for you. Also it would make the video editiing after the fact MUCH easier. Rather than having to go through a 5 minute segment looking for the highlights, splitting, cropping, etc, it becomes more a matter of combining all the 5 to 10 second clips. I do alot of Instagram 1 minute cycling clips. In that format if your takes are longer than 5 seonds it can get booring for others.

if there's a way to do this, either with this camera or a newer one, I'd love to hear from you!!

Thanks! 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Setting a recording interval time - one button start & automatic stop?

Hi @wayne77

You may check the Looping feature of your camera

See: https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/How-Does-Looping-Work

I hope this helps.

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Setting a recording interval time - one button start & automatic stop?

I might not have been clear enough. First of all the minimum looping interval is 5 minutes. But lets say there was a 30 second interval. We'll use skiing in this example. I ski up to the top of a run and want to capture the next 15 seconds of someone else or myself doing something cool. I hit record, do my thing but end up not being able to hit stop until 35 seconds have elapsed. The looping would have hit the 30 secon mark and started all over, deleting the footage that I DID want to keep. Uh, not good.

These are action cams right? That means hands off recording, SAFETY, focusing on whatever it is your'e doing first and foremost, and in many cases very short takes. This seems like such an obvious no-brainer feature that requires no hardware solution. Here's your use case if you want to send it to an engineer:

1. before the fact, the user would be able to enter some sort of pre set recording interval (5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc). Lets say I select 15 seconds.

2. Switch the camera to some sort of "Quick take" mode

3. Using skiing as an example, I ski up to the top of a run knowing I have a jump, nice line down a chute, or whatever I want to capture. But since my first priority is safety, enjoying the experience, etc I don't always remember to hit "stop", or can't because I gotta keep skiing, focusing on obstacles so I don't die, etc.

4. I hit the record button, the camera starts recording and off I go...doing whatever awesome thing I want to record. I totally ignore the camera until either I'm in a safe place to interact with it agian or later in the day when I want another segment.. During this time the camera automatically stops recording after the 15 second interval without me having to worry about it.

5. I get home to edit the footage and now I have several 15 second clips to edit together. MUCH easier than currently happes: Some clips are short, some excessively long due to not being able to hit stop, etc. So suddenly it becomes a laborius afair scanning through long takes to find the 30 second interval I really wanted. this is especially useful if I'm editing using the phone app and don't have all the more advanced edit options at my disposal. There's even a case for quick sharing online...hit record, do my thing, the camera stops recording while I continue to do my thin and a bit later hit a share button and that 15 second clip is published. Again...no brainer!

Seriously...if one camera had this and the other didn't, even if the other had less features, I'd choose the camera with the quick take feature hands down. Unless there is some other way of doing this, the only way I can think of is if someone had a custom remote that you programmed in the recording interval and it took care of that since the camera isn't smart enough to do it for you :-)