Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Session 5 is there a way stop it from shutting off ?

Hi @jamieh30458

You may want to utilize the looping option instead. Currently, the HERO5 Session does not have an option to leave it turned on unless there is an ongoing recording.

For information, you may check this article: How Does Looping Work?

Thanks,,

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

@aragon1006 Ill have a look tomorrow :)

Thank you

Highlighted
GoPro

Keep us posted @jamieh30458

Thanks,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

Quick update

If I connect to the camera as usual via the gopro app (android samsung) and keep the screen up that shows me what Im capturing with the session the camera will stay on. Not the best solution as this will drain the phones battery fast. If I use any other screen in the app the camera will shutdown after 10mins. Incredibly annoying, its an action camera you want to be able to capture moments at any time hands free without having turn it on, "it's a bird it's a plane.... it just flew past and didn't have time to turn my camera on"

Don't think it would be hard to add to the settings via the app to be able to set the shut down timer, understand the camera has limited internal memory but this should be a feature imo.

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

I think you're going to get better battery life from the camera and save your phone battery if you use the looping mode. Put the camera into 5 or 10 minute loop. Once you you've captured the shot you want, stop the recording. When you are ready to start filming, put the camera in loop and begin the recording. The previous recording will be saved and a new recording will begin.

For info on looping, see this article https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/How-Does-Looping-Work

Highlighted
Tourist

Only one way to keep it turned on...keep a connection with the GoPro app on your cell phone. This way it will stay on and ready to record until your battery dies. When I am out an an all day motorcycle ride i just attach a powerpack to the audio adapter, which keeps it powered up all day long.