Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Session 5 incorrect time on videos

My videos are all off by 6 hours. The photos all have the correct time, it's just the videos. Regardless of the settings, any video I take is 6 hours behind. I have formatted the sdcard, manually updated the firmware, then reset the time and date. I have even tried two different sdcards. Has anyone else had this problem?? Need help.
Tourist

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

Yes, I have the exact same problem except mine is off by 5 hours. I have tried setting the time with my phone and Mac with no change.
Hiker

I emailed GoPro. They said do a factory reset. I tried that, didn't work though.
GoPro

Sorry to hear that this is happening. How are you going about moving the files to the computer? Are you using the Quik App? And if so, are you connecting the camera to your computer or just the SD card directly? Does switching that up make a difference?

Hiker

I tried transfering to my iphone with the app, plugging the gopro into my pc and just the sdcard. GoPro emailed me back again and said

"We know that this issue could happen sometimes, but it does not affect the proper functionality of the camera.
I understand it could be annoying, but I can advise you to try to change your SD card and wait for the next camera update which will be released soon."

Wait and see i guess... Not impressed..

GoPro

Hi @darvik

I'm sorry to hear that this was the response you got. This, in fact, does affect the proper functionality of the camera, since it will be more difficult for you to find your footage if it's not given the proper time stamp. From looking at your case it sounds like you've already tried different SD cards and the Lexar 633x you mentioned in your email is a recommended card, so that shouldn't be the problem. 

Basically, I want to see if the issue is stemming from your computer and the GoPro software, or from the camera itself. Could you do the following tests for me to see? 

First, let's format the card once more and take some photos and videos. Next, remove the SD card and plug it directly into your computer. Then open the Quik Desktop App and use that program to import the footage. Please don't import the footage using another program for now, so that we can test this properly. 

After it's been imported, let's see if the date and time are set correctly.

If they are not set correctly, try clicking on the videos that have the wrong time, then select MEDIA at the top bar of the App next to File, Edit, View, Window, Help, etc. and adjust the date and time there. Remove the SD card, plug it back into the camera, take some more test videos and photos, and try importing once more using the SD card directly in the computer and the Quik Desktop App. 

If the problem continues at that point, let's reinsert the card in the camera and make sure that you update the Capture App on your phone. From there, pair the camera up to the App again and readjust the date once more. Take some more videos and photos and we'll test to see if the proper time stamp sticks this time. 

If that doesn't work, please let me know. 

Hiker

The problem is when I import the videos to my iPhone 6s, the videos will be 6 hours behind. The photos have the correct time and date, its just the videos that show the wrong time.

As for importing them to the computer, Quik only allows you to change the date. I am unable to change or even see the time the photos or videos where taken using Quik.

Capture.PNGUnless I am missing something???

Even when you right click on a photo or video and choose "Get info", you cannot see the time..

Capture1.PNG

When the file is imported using a sdcard reader the time is correct in file explorer, but if i just plug in the camera to the computer and import it that way, the time and date are for when I imported the file. I don't think i should have to remove the sdcard when i want to import, as that is a lot of unnecessary wear and tear ( that also means i need to bring a sdcard reader with me, my other cameras dont have this issue). Why would the time change depending on how it was imported? I am using Windows 10..

GoPro

Hi @darvik,

Thanks for that information. You shouldn't have to remove the SD card each time; I'm just trying to see if we can isolate the issue. I wouldn't want to replace the camera if it was actually an issue with the SD card or the software on the computer? Just to verify, is the time only correct in File Explorer with the SD card adapter BEFORE having imported the footage, or after it's been imported as well?