Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

@rockybluff5072 wrote:
Are the videos geotagged in the Hero 5 black? Based on you guys using non GPS GoPros I don't think so and assume the geotag stamp in videos is interpreted as somewhere in the GMT/UTC area (presumably by default) by the Apple photos app?

I believe the Hero 5 Black should geotag your videos, I pretty sure it does for photos. I know my iphone geotags both. It seems odd that GoPro wouldn't geotag both.. I am just speculating, since I don't own a black. I think the wrong time has something to do with the GPS features on the Black. The phone app was probably updated when it was released, and I know GPS needs to know the correct time in order for it to work. So they probably set it to work with 0 GMT, but now its messed up all the other Gopros using the app.. Just a thought..

Nomad

to me it appears videos are not geotagged on the H5B - at least not in a way the iphone / iOS understands. I have no way to check the gopro video meta data right now, but it appears there may be an issue here.. maybe incorrect field mapping between both.. who knows. 

did you realise the time shift of the videos after a particular software update or has it been like this from the beginning?

I would not be surprised if the real culprit is the Crapture app.

Nomad

here maybe a hint to this.. gps info not in the correct meta data location.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/is-GPS-info-embedded-into-video/m-p/24164#U24164 

Hiker

Since my first video I've had the time problem. i bought the session 5 about a week after it came out.
Nomad

Here's the reply that came from customer support:

"I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your camera. I assure you that our team is doing everything they can to find a solution to this issue. Please keep an eye out for future updates that will fix this issue."

So I guess, it's wait and see. 

GoPro

Hi @darvik and others, 

I’m sorry this difficulty is continuing. @darvik, from your post a few back this is what I’m understanding: 

-Importing via Capture onto the iPhone 6S = the time stamp is set to 0 GMT for videos, but photos are fine. 

-Importing to Windows 10 PC using the SD card reader using Quik = the time stamps on BOTH videos and photos are fine. 

-Importing to Windows 10 PC from the camera and cable using Quik = the time stamp changes to the time they were imported (both pictures and video, or still just video?)

If this is correct and it is really going to GMT, then I’m thinking it must be software and not the camera, due to the fact that the cameras wouldn’t be able to consistently find GMT without GPS. HERO5 Black has GPS but HERO5 Session does not. 

I’m going to see if we can find any more information about this. 

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hi @mattb,
@mattb wrote:

Hi @darvik and others, 

I’m sorry this difficulty is continuing. @darvik, from your post a few back this is what I’m understanding: 

np

-Importing via Capture onto the iPhone 6S = the time stamp is set to 0 GMT for videos, but photos are fine. 

Correct

-Importing to Windows 10 PC using the SD card reader using Quik = the time stamps on BOTH videos and photos are fine. 

Correct

-Importing to Windows 10 PC from the camera and cable using Quik = the time stamp changes to the time they were imported (both pictures and video, or still just video?)

Both

If this is correct and it is really going to GMT, then I’m thinking it must be software and not the camera, due to the fact that the cameras wouldn’t be able to consistently find GMT without GPS. HERO5 Black has GPS but HERO5 Session does not. 

Its odd that just the videos change time on the phone not the photos, it also seems to be losing data importing with Quik..

I’m going to see if we can find any more information about this. 

Thanks for your time..

Nomad

That (that this issue is ocurring on session and black) makes me assume the iOS photos app is misinterpreting the video metadata it gets from the camera (but not the photo meta data). It appears (as shown above) that GPS info is written (by the black) into the video file differently (embeded and linked to the actual image sequence so you could for example overlay speed etc based on the gps data) than iOS would do (probably just add one lon / lat point per video file into the meta data (exactly like the photo EXIF); I further assume that the field that iOS is using to interpret geolocation (the "EXIF equivalent LON/LAT field) is potentially zeroed by both the session & black (or the Capture app on import!) and that is the reason why the error appears with both cameras regardless of buit-in GPS or not. the iOS photos app might then use this empty or zeroed field to perform time-zone adjustment for its own management of where to put the video time wise - iOS photos however does NOT show a geolocation of the video file (not even if its coming from the black) - so the "EXIF lon/lat metadata" is probaby not zeroed (it should locate the photo on the intersection of the equator and the greenwich median then). I do not know whether this is due to how the camera is writing data or the Capture app thandling the data, while passing the video files through to iOS Photos during import. Maybe the capture app is just changeing the video file record data on import (which in some convulted way is associated with GMT.)

Good luck & thanks.