Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

Same problem here with a Hero 5 black. Video time stamp is hours ahead while photos are correct. Importing from the hero to iPhone via that terrible app. Given that the others are mentioning a time behind in the videos it maybe due to geo-location / time zone differences? I'm in Australia and if the Video time is somehow associated with US or EU time and the iPhone is adjusting to the geo time zone this might explain it. Just a guess.
Hiker

I believe it could be related to Greenwich mean time, since my videos are 6 hours behind and I am in central time in Canada. Which is -6 GMT. So yours should be anywhere from +8 to +11 depending on where you are in Australia.
Anonymous

I agree it is related to Greenwich mean time as my videos are 5 hours off and I am in eastern time zone which is -5 GMT.
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@mattb wrote:

Hi @darvik,

Thanks for that information. You shouldn't have to remove the SD card each time; I'm just trying to see if we can isolate the issue. I wouldn't want to replace the camera if it was actually an issue with the SD card or the software on the computer? Just to verify, is the time only correct in File Explorer with the SD card adapter BEFORE having imported the footage, or after it's been imported as well? 

Hi@mattb 

You seem to be missing to main theme of this tread, which is when importing videos into the iphone 6s using the app ( not sure if its other phones as well, but i assume so). The videos seem to be time stamped to 0 GMT, which is Greenwich mean time zero. That means whereever you are in the world, your videos imported to your phone using the app are all timestamped with London time.. The photos are fine, its just the videos...

In regards to your question, when I import my videos onto my Windows 10 PC (the photos seem to work). If i use the sdcard reader to import the videos using the Quik app, the time stamps are correct before and after i import them. But if I leave the sdcard in the camera and plug it into my pc to import, the time stamp is changed to the time they were imported ( using Quik).

I am using a Hero 4 silver with a sandisk extreme and a Hero 5 Session with a Lexar 633x.

Here is a screen shot, the top is the Session plugged in, the bottom is after it is imported using Quik. It seems to lose the time info on the videos, but retains them on the photos..Capture.PNG

Thanks for your time....

Nomad

@gopro looks like it's time for a firmware / software update. GMT+11 looks about right for me.
Nomad

Are the videos geotagged in the Hero 5 black? Based on you guys using non GPS GoPros I don't think so and assume the geotag stamp in videos is interpreted as somewhere in the GMT/UTC area (presumably by default) by the Apple photos app?
Nomad

Maybe an empty GPS info field (or maybe the GoPro even zeroes lon lat) is read as 0'N 0'E
Nomad

At least for the purpose of time zone correction. (No location info for GoPro videos in the photos app)