Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

That did not work for me. Issue remains.
Tourist

I have the same problem and I think it is due to the download software. With photos the photo itself carries the date taken from the camer software but with videos there is no fixed date because it is in motion so the download software assumes the time on the PC is GMT or UTC and adds the local time based on the location shown in the camera setup.

If I put my SD card in the card reader on my PC and use Explorer to drag and drop photos and videos onto the pictures folder, the dates are correct but if I use Microsoft Photos to import them, the date on the photos is correct but not the videos, in my case it's PC time plus 11 hours being DST in Eastern Australia.

My camera is a Panasonic DMC FX07 and I am running Win 10 so it is a universal problem not just GoPro.

I hope this helps.

Tourist

Further investigation reveals that the date will be incorrect using Windows Photos to import videos but using Photo Gallery the times are correct so it is definitely an import software problem.
Tourist

Try filming in a different resolution and then import. I did that and the stamps are correct. It’s no fix by any means but makes things interesting to figuring this out.
Tourist

I have the same issue but my time stamps are correct in any resolution other than 1080p
Tourist

A buddy of mine did a test and the videos import with the correct time stamp onto his capture app on his android. They are off 5 hours when I import into my iOS iPhone. Do we all agree that this is an iOS and not android issue?
Tourist

@boldpeak7566 wrote:
A buddy of mine did a test and the videos import with the correct time stamp onto his capture app on his android. They are off 5 hours when I import into my iOS iPhone. Do we all agree that this is an iOS and not android issue?

I believe it's an iOS and Mac issue, but also possibly a Windows issue as well. It's a matter of how the metadata is recorded. There are two different ways to write the timestamp that I know of, and GoPro happens to only record one of them, but it would be trivial to record it both ways. Metadata doesn't have a finite limit of how many different ways you can write it.

Tourist

I got the Hero 5 Session 2 weeks ago and I was having the same issue with the date and time on my videos. I tried downloading using all the methods that are explained on the manual and my the ti e was always off. I always download my pics and videos from my phoe using Photo Gallery and zi didn't think about using it with my gopro. Well, I did it today and mporting my videos using Photo Gallery solved the problem. The dates and time are correct. So I recommend using Photo Gallery to import pictures and videos.