Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Session 5 incorrect time on videos

[ New ]
My videos are all off by 6 hours. The photos all have the correct time, it's just the videos. Regardless of the settings, any video I take is 6 hours behind. I have formatted the sdcard, manually updated the firmware, then reset the time and date. I have even tried two different sdcards. Has anyone else had this problem?? Need help.
Anonymous

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

[ New ]
Yes, I have the exact same problem except mine is off by 5 hours. I have tried setting the time with my phone and Mac with no change.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I emailed GoPro. They said do a factory reset. I tried that, didn't work though.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that this is happening. How are you going about moving the files to the computer? Are you using the Quik App? And if so, are you connecting the camera to your computer or just the SD card directly? Does switching that up make a difference?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I tried transfering to my iphone with the app, plugging the gopro into my pc and just the sdcard. GoPro emailed me back again and said

"We know that this issue could happen sometimes, but it does not affect the proper functionality of the camera.
I understand it could be annoying, but I can advise you to try to change your SD card and wait for the next camera update which will be released soon."

Wait and see i guess... Not impressed..

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear that this was the response you got. This, in fact, does affect the proper functionality of the camera, since it will be more difficult for you to find your footage if it's not given the proper time stamp. From looking at your case it sounds like you've already tried different SD cards and the Lexar 633x you mentioned in your email is a recommended card, so that shouldn't be the problem. 

Basically, I want to see if the issue is stemming from your computer and the GoPro software, or from the camera itself. Could you do the following tests for me to see? 

First, let's format the card once more and take some photos and videos. Next, remove the SD card and plug it directly into your computer. Then open the Quik Desktop App and use that program to import the footage. Please don't import the footage using another program for now, so that we can test this properly. 

After it's been imported, let's see if the date and time are set correctly.

If they are not set correctly, try clicking on the videos that have the wrong time, then select MEDIA at the top bar of the App next to File, Edit, View, Window, Help, etc. and adjust the date and time there. Remove the SD card, plug it back into the camera, take some more test videos and photos, and try importing once more using the SD card directly in the computer and the Quik Desktop App. 

If the problem continues at that point, let's reinsert the card in the camera and make sure that you update the Capture App on your phone. From there, pair the camera up to the App again and readjust the date once more. Take some more videos and photos and we'll test to see if the proper time stamp sticks this time. 

If that doesn't work, please let me know. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

The problem is when I import the videos to my iPhone 6s, the videos will be 6 hours behind. The photos have the correct time and date, its just the videos that show the wrong time.

As for importing them to the computer, Quik only allows you to change the date. I am unable to change or even see the time the photos or videos where taken using Quik.

Capture.PNGUnless I am missing something???

Even when you right click on a photo or video and choose "Get info", you cannot see the time..

Capture1.PNG

When the file is imported using a sdcard reader the time is correct in file explorer, but if i just plug in the camera to the computer and import it that way, the time and date are for when I imported the file. I don't think i should have to remove the sdcard when i want to import, as that is a lot of unnecessary wear and tear ( that also means i need to bring a sdcard reader with me, my other cameras dont have this issue). Why would the time change depending on how it was imported? I am using Windows 10..

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for that information. You shouldn't have to remove the SD card each time; I'm just trying to see if we can isolate the issue. I wouldn't want to replace the camera if it was actually an issue with the SD card or the software on the computer? Just to verify, is the time only correct in File Explorer with the SD card adapter BEFORE having imported the footage, or after it's been imported as well? 

Nomad

[ New ]
Same problem here with a Hero 5 black. Video time stamp is hours ahead while photos are correct. Importing from the hero to iPhone via that terrible app. Given that the others are mentioning a time behind in the videos it maybe due to geo-location / time zone differences? I'm in Australia and if the Video time is somehow associated with US or EU time and the iPhone is adjusting to the geo time zone this might explain it. Just a guess.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I believe it could be related to Greenwich mean time, since my videos are 6 hours behind and I am in central time in Canada. Which is -6 GMT. So yours should be anywhere from +8 to +11 depending on where you are in Australia.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I agree it is related to Greenwich mean time as my videos are 5 hours off and I am in eastern time zone which is -5 GMT.
Anonymous

[ New ]

@mattb wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for that information. You shouldn't have to remove the SD card each time; I'm just trying to see if we can isolate the issue. I wouldn't want to replace the camera if it was actually an issue with the SD card or the software on the computer? Just to verify, is the time only correct in File Explorer with the SD card adapter BEFORE having imported the footage, or after it's been imported as well? 

Hi@mattb 

You seem to be missing to main theme of this tread, which is when importing videos into the iphone 6s using the app ( not sure if its other phones as well, but i assume so). The videos seem to be time stamped to 0 GMT, which is Greenwich mean time zero. That means whereever you are in the world, your videos imported to your phone using the app are all timestamped with London time.. The photos are fine, its just the videos...

In regards to your question, when I import my videos onto my Windows 10 PC (the photos seem to work). If i use the sdcard reader to import the videos using the Quik app, the time stamps are correct before and after i import them. But if I leave the sdcard in the camera and plug it into my pc to import, the time stamp is changed to the time they were imported ( using Quik).

I am using a Hero 4 silver with a sandisk extreme and a Hero 5 Session with a Lexar 633x.

Here is a screen shot, the top is the Session plugged in, the bottom is after it is imported using Quik. It seems to lose the time info on the videos, but retains them on the photos..Capture.PNG

Thanks for your time....

Nomad

[ New ]
@gopro looks like it's time for a firmware / software update. GMT+11 looks about right for me.
Nomad

[ New ]
Are the videos geotagged in the Hero 5 black? Based on you guys using non GPS GoPros I don't think so and assume the geotag stamp in videos is interpreted as somewhere in the GMT/UTC area (presumably by default) by the Apple photos app?
Nomad

[ New ]
Maybe an empty GPS info field (or maybe the GoPro even zeroes lon lat) is read as 0'N 0'E
Nomad

[ New ]
At least for the purpose of time zone correction. (No location info for GoPro videos in the photos app)
Anonymous

[ New ]

@rockybluff5072 wrote:
Are the videos geotagged in the Hero 5 black? Based on you guys using non GPS GoPros I don't think so and assume the geotag stamp in videos is interpreted as somewhere in the GMT/UTC area (presumably by default) by the Apple photos app?

I believe the Hero 5 Black should geotag your videos, I pretty sure it does for photos. I know my iphone geotags both. It seems odd that GoPro wouldn't geotag both.. I am just speculating, since I don't own a black. I think the wrong time has something to do with the GPS features on the Black. The phone app was probably updated when it was released, and I know GPS needs to know the correct time in order for it to work. So they probably set it to work with 0 GMT, but now its messed up all the other Gopros using the app.. Just a thought..

Nomad

[ New ]

to me it appears videos are not geotagged on the H5B - at least not in a way the iphone / iOS understands. I have no way to check the gopro video meta data right now, but it appears there may be an issue here.. maybe incorrect field mapping between both.. who knows. 

did you realise the time shift of the videos after a particular software update or has it been like this from the beginning?

I would not be surprised if the real culprit is the Crapture app.

Nomad

[ New ]

here maybe a hint to this.. gps info not in the correct meta data location.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/is-GPS-info-embedded-into-video/m-p/24164#U24164 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Since my first video I've had the time problem. i bought the session 5 about a week after it came out.
Nomad

[ New ]

Here's the reply that came from customer support:

"I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your camera. I assure you that our team is doing everything they can to find a solution to this issue. Please keep an eye out for future updates that will fix this issue."

So I guess, it's wait and see. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous and others, 

I’m sorry this difficulty is continuing. @Anonymous, from your post a few back this is what I’m understanding: 

-Importing via Capture onto the iPhone 6S = the time stamp is set to 0 GMT for videos, but photos are fine. 

-Importing to Windows 10 PC using the SD card reader using Quik = the time stamps on BOTH videos and photos are fine. 

-Importing to Windows 10 PC from the camera and cable using Quik = the time stamp changes to the time they were imported (both pictures and video, or still just video?)

If this is correct and it is really going to GMT, then I’m thinking it must be software and not the camera, due to the fact that the cameras wouldn’t be able to consistently find GMT without GPS. HERO5 Black has GPS but HERO5 Session does not. 

I’m going to see if we can find any more information about this. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi @mattb,
@mattb wrote:

Hi @Anonymous and others, 

I’m sorry this difficulty is continuing. @Anonymous, from your post a few back this is what I’m understanding: 

np

-Importing via Capture onto the iPhone 6S = the time stamp is set to 0 GMT for videos, but photos are fine. 

Correct

-Importing to Windows 10 PC using the SD card reader using Quik = the time stamps on BOTH videos and photos are fine. 

Correct

-Importing to Windows 10 PC from the camera and cable using Quik = the time stamp changes to the time they were imported (both pictures and video, or still just video?)

Both

If this is correct and it is really going to GMT, then I’m thinking it must be software and not the camera, due to the fact that the cameras wouldn’t be able to consistently find GMT without GPS. HERO5 Black has GPS but HERO5 Session does not. 

Its odd that just the videos change time on the phone not the photos, it also seems to be losing data importing with Quik..

I’m going to see if we can find any more information about this. 

Thanks for your time..

Nomad

[ New ]

That (that this issue is ocurring on session and black) makes me assume the iOS photos app is misinterpreting the video metadata it gets from the camera (but not the photo meta data). It appears (as shown above) that GPS info is written (by the black) into the video file differently (embeded and linked to the actual image sequence so you could for example overlay speed etc based on the gps data) than iOS would do (probably just add one lon / lat point per video file into the meta data (exactly like the photo EXIF); I further assume that the field that iOS is using to interpret geolocation (the "EXIF equivalent LON/LAT field) is potentially zeroed by both the session & black (or the Capture app on import!) and that is the reason why the error appears with both cameras regardless of buit-in GPS or not. the iOS photos app might then use this empty or zeroed field to perform time-zone adjustment for its own management of where to put the video time wise - iOS photos however does NOT show a geolocation of the video file (not even if its coming from the black) - so the "EXIF lon/lat metadata" is probaby not zeroed (it should locate the photo on the intersection of the equator and the greenwich median then). I do not know whether this is due to how the camera is writing data or the Capture app thandling the data, while passing the video files through to iOS Photos during import. Maybe the capture app is just changeing the video file record data on import (which in some convulted way is associated with GMT.)

Good luck & thanks.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi again, 

I have tested and been able to reproduce this issue via the wireless transfer to an iPhone 6 using Capture. I am seeing the same problem that the videos have the wrong time stamp but the photos do not. However, when importing via Quik for Desktop App with the camera and the cable, I am getting accurate time stamps. @Anonymous, although you import using Quik for Desktop, where do you view the time stamp for the videos and photos at on your computer? Also, are you certain that you are looking at the correct section of the info for the media? I know usually there is a time stamp for when media has been imported as well as one for when it was created. The fact that it isn't GMT but rather the time of import and the fact that it's happening to both videos and photos makes me think that might be more related to the computer or reading the information than a miscalculation. But I am definitely seeing the problem you brought up with Capture. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

@mattb

HI Matt,

I'm having the exact same issue with a Hero 4 Silver and thought I could add some info.

I've been searching around the web and this issue has been mentioned many times over the years but never fixed, combined with my testing I've come to the following conclusion.

Essentially, when the camera takes a video, the 'file creation date' is recorded in a GMT (+0) time zone, irrespective of what the local time is that is set. For example, I am in Australia, my gopro time is set correctly, but currently all my videos when imported to an iphone or a computer come up as exactly 11 hours off (which is the time zone difference).

This is observable, just grab any video file directly off a gopro camera SD card using a file manager and look at the file creation date (which is also the date it seems most editing software uses for imported videos).

The issue does not occur with photos as most programs pull the exif data, which the gopro is recording in these files directly.

Changing the format of the SD card to exFAT, FAT32 and visa versa does not help, formatting the SD card with the device itself does not help, factory resetting the device does not help, and syncing the devices time with a computer does not help.

It appears to be an issue with way the gopro interacts with the file system on the SD card (as the file creation date is a feature of the file system while the exif data stored within photos is not).

Essentially, if you search the web, this problem has been widespread for years and really needs to be fixed with a software update... I suspect the gopro capture software has had this issue accounted for, however it doesn't fix the core issue that the camera itself is saving files with a file creation date/time that is wrong.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Here with the same problem, adding myself to the thread...

Nomad

[ New ]

@mattb and the rest, here's anoher fun update on this - it appears that Whatsapp on iOS seems to understand the timestaps correctly! 

If I want to select an image  there, the videos from the GoPro appear to be capture time-sorted correctly, although they are not in the iOS Photos app...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi folks, 

I have notified our teams of this and we'll see if they are able to get more information regarding why this happens and in what cases. It must be something in the software of the phone rather than the camera, as only the HERO5 Black has any way to know where it is and adjust to GMT accordingly. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi Matt,
Thanks for passing this issue on!
I suspect it could be fixed by adding a time zone option to the hero 4 so that the file creation date is recorded correctly (not in GMT +0). Given a lot of software uses the file creation date, making it correct would be a fix in the camera software.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same issue as what has been raised in this thread. I have quite old versions of the GoPros (i.e. HERO 3) but they work perfectly fine apart from the time creation date issue.

Just did an update today and problem is still not solved.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same exact issue.  Have run through all the same processes with the same results.  Any fix yet????

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having the same exact issue.  Have run through all the same processes with the same results.  Any fix yet????

It seems like GoPro doesnt care much about this issue...Smiley Frustrated

Anonymous

[ New ]

i shouldnt say that, maybe they do care but cant solve it.. Seems its been going on since Hero 3..

Tourist

[ New ]

I have observed exactly this as well. Seems to be a GMT Time Zone problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a Hero 5 Black with GPS enabled, and this problems occurs too. Exactly the same.

Anonymous

Same problem when importing videos via Capture!! Please h...

[ New ]
Same problem when importing videos via Capture!! Please help. Quite annoying when you looking for your vids in Photos app/
Anonymous

Same problem when importing videos onto iPhone via Captur...

[ New ]
Same problem when importing videos onto iPhone via Capture! Please help.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Same problem when importing videos onto iPhone via Capture! Please help.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi Matt any updates?
Anonymous

[ New ]

It certainly appears that GoPro are ignoring this issue, their silence speaks volumes.

Looking at their update page, it also appears that they swiftly abandon old models when a new one comes out, so the only people that *might* get a resolution are Hero and session 5 owners,  but again their silence speaks volumes.

Given the cost of these cameras their software support is what I would expect from a cut price Chinese manufacturer, I certainly will be recommending everyone I know look to other brands in the future.

Nomad

[ New ]

I am slightly disappointed here too - this should not be a highly challenging problem - but well, then I guess it's also not a real priority given all the other requied fixes across the board...

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

It's a good practice to sync up your camera to Quik for Desktop periodically to make sure the date and time are updated on the camera's system.

Tourist

[ New ]
Jeff, appreciate the reply. However, this is not an issue about the date/time being set incorrectly (the iOS apps do sync the time, too), but simply the iOS app not reading the time or processing GMT offset correctly.
It's really disappointing this is still not fixed.
Nomad

[ New ]

my bet is still on a different use or coding in exif data between GoPro and iOS photos and a wrong interpretation of what ever GoPro is writing into it (or how iOS is interpreting it) - as as it also happens with non-GPS (Session) cameras.. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Me too I also have same issues. Videos are off for 3 hours. I had this problem with gopro 4 silver and I updated to hero 5. Same again.. This is frustrating for a serious company!!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Has the issue been resolved? I have had the same thing with my GoPro 3 and now with GoPro hero 5

Anonymous

[ New ]
No fix yet.. As far as I can tell...
Anonymous

[ New ]

I can confirm this problem has not been solved.  GroPro is terrible at fixing simple issues.