Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

Hi again, 

I have tested and been able to reproduce this issue via the wireless transfer to an iPhone 6 using Capture. I am seeing the same problem that the videos have the wrong time stamp but the photos do not. However, when importing via Quik for Desktop App with the camera and the cable, I am getting accurate time stamps. @darvik, although you import using Quik for Desktop, where do you view the time stamp for the videos and photos at on your computer? Also, are you certain that you are looking at the correct section of the info for the media? I know usually there is a time stamp for when media has been imported as well as one for when it was created. The fact that it isn't GMT but rather the time of import and the fact that it's happening to both videos and photos makes me think that might be more related to the computer or reading the information than a miscalculation. But I am definitely seeing the problem you brought up with Capture. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@mattb

HI Matt,

I'm having the exact same issue with a Hero 4 Silver and thought I could add some info.

I've been searching around the web and this issue has been mentioned many times over the years but never fixed, combined with my testing I've come to the following conclusion.

Essentially, when the camera takes a video, the 'file creation date' is recorded in a GMT (+0) time zone, irrespective of what the local time is that is set. For example, I am in Australia, my gopro time is set correctly, but currently all my videos when imported to an iphone or a computer come up as exactly 11 hours off (which is the time zone difference).

This is observable, just grab any video file directly off a gopro camera SD card using a file manager and look at the file creation date (which is also the date it seems most editing software uses for imported videos).

The issue does not occur with photos as most programs pull the exif data, which the gopro is recording in these files directly.

Changing the format of the SD card to exFAT, FAT32 and visa versa does not help, formatting the SD card with the device itself does not help, factory resetting the device does not help, and syncing the devices time with a computer does not help.

It appears to be an issue with way the gopro interacts with the file system on the SD card (as the file creation date is a feature of the file system while the exif data stored within photos is not).

Essentially, if you search the web, this problem has been widespread for years and really needs to be fixed with a software update... I suspect the gopro capture software has had this issue accounted for, however it doesn't fix the core issue that the camera itself is saving files with a file creation date/time that is wrong.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Here with the same problem, adding myself to the thread...

Highlighted
Nomad

@mattb and the rest, here's anoher fun update on this - it appears that Whatsapp on iOS seems to understand the timestaps correctly! 

If I want to select an image  there, the videos from the GoPro appear to be capture time-sorted correctly, although they are not in the iOS Photos app...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi folks, 

I have notified our teams of this and we'll see if they are able to get more information regarding why this happens and in what cases. It must be something in the software of the phone rather than the camera, as only the HERO5 Black has any way to know where it is and adjust to GMT accordingly. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Matt,
Thanks for passing this issue on!
I suspect it could be fixed by adding a time zone option to the hero 4 so that the file creation date is recorded correctly (not in GMT +0). Given a lot of software uses the file creation date, making it correct would be a fix in the camera software.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I am having the same issue as what has been raised in this thread. I have quite old versions of the GoPros (i.e. HERO 3) but they work perfectly fine apart from the time creation date issue.

Just did an update today and problem is still not solved.