Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Session 5 incorrect time on videos

[ New ]

Disappointing.. really annoying how users cannot sort imported videos correctly without this fixed

Tourist

[ New ]
I just bought a GoPro Hero 6 Black for a trip to Asia and I have the same issue whether importing wirelessly to my phone, using the Lightning-to-MicroUSB Quik card reader to my phone, or importing from the GoPro to my Mac using a USB to USB-C Cable (Can't try the SD card directly because I have an 11" MacBook Air). It's entirely frustrating, because I have to go back through Photos and change all my times on my videos, and when I'm changing time zones, I have to change the amount I adjust them by.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@jacowan - If you sync your camera to your phone or to Quik for Desktop (if you've changed the time zone on your computer already) once you get to a new time zone, the camera should sync to the new timezone and record to new local time to videos you shoot from then on. The timestamp is applied as the content is recorded using the clock in the camera itself, so as long as that clock is correct to the local time, you should be getting accurate timestamps.

Jeff

Tourist

[ New ]
@jefft You don’t understand the real problem. There is ALWAYS a timestamp problem, anywhere on earth while importing files from our Gopro to our phones. We always have to manually correct the timestamp from GMT 0 to our timezone!
This is ridiculous!
Anonymous

[ New ]

I agree, it really is ridiculous.  I was hoping AT LEAST with the new model GoPros this year it would have been resolved, but the timestamp issue still lingers!  It actually makes me use my GoPro less frequently because I know that I have to go in and manually adjust all the times afterwards.  Such a simple, fundamental issue that GoPro is not willing or able to resolve.

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks for making this a topic again - I also really don't understand the challenge of fixing this. apparently it has been an issue since at least H3 - I have raised this here before as well and I still do think it's an issue with EXIF info being written / interpreted in a funny way, but regardless what the issue is, they can make a bloody drone but can't fix a time stamp. It's bizarre. 

I have not been travelling for longer periods recently but it's annoying enoug just for the weekends - all videos are a day off to the rest of the material in the photo stream and it's driving me nuts. I can see how this would be a nightmare if you have a longer trip arcross different time zones. 

The iOS apps are pretty good - especially Quick, it's brilliant, but that I then have to manually order the clips depending whether they were shot on my GoPros or the other cameras is plain stupid.

Can someone at GoPro please sit down for 6h or so and finally fix this??

Anonymous

[ New ]

Do you still think the even monitor this forums?!? This is a wasting time...

Nomad

[ New ]

Ha, well I had also filed a support request - but only got a generic answer back (reset / restore etc) - clearly no one bothered to understand the issue (or even had a look at it). So well, there not much left than hope...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I don’t have much hope, if you look at their software updates page they only ever release software for the latest model. Once a new model is out, software support appears to cease Immediately for previous ones...

Tourist

[ New ]
@jefft For Photos, the GoPro Hero 6 (and earlier models) has no issue recording the Exif timestamp in a way that Photos for Mac and Photos for iPhone can understand. All of my photos come out with the correct time. However, it appears that for videos, the camera records the time in GMT and then records the time zone adjustment. Quik for iPhone and Mac can interpret it correctly, but Photos just sees the GMT timestamp and thinks that was the local time. So I took a video and photo in New York at noon, the photo shows up as noon but the video shows up as 7am. If I did the same in Hong Kong, the photo shows up as noon and the video shows up as 8pm that evening.
Tourist

[ New ]
@jefft Also I’ve noticed that none of the GPS metadata for videos is readable by Photos.app either. The gps metadata for photos comes out fine however. It’s simply a problem with how GoPro has recorded exif data, if it followed the standard in addition to the proprietary method it uses for Quik to add gauges and other cool overlays this wouldn’t be a problem.
Nomad

[ New ]

I'll try again with a proper support ticket. 

Nomad

[ New ]

45min on the chat - case is opened (once again). There doesnt seem to be an option on the website anymore to open a case directly.. they really making it hard..

Tourist

[ New ]
I don’t think that they even care. It is something that doesn’t bother them. Let’s try to keep up and fresh in the forum topics like this and let’s see if they may care!
Anonymous

[ New ]

Agree. Totally ridiculous for this problem to still exist.. very disappointing and frustrating for people who love taking videos and keeping track where and when they have been with their cameras.

HELLO IS ANYONE FROM GOPRO READING THIS?!

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Yes, I'm with GoPro and I responded to this thread as recently as four days ago. If you're still having issues after trying the steps outlined earlier in this thread, please reach out to our Support team directly. We'll do our best to find a solution for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]
I have discussed this issue in length with GoPro Customer support and they even REPLACED my GoPro Session camera with a completely different unit and the time stamp issue remained. It’s hopeless.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Jeff, appreciate that you are responding to this thread, however it's clear from your response 4 days ago that you didn't actually read the thread in detail. Your suggestion of syncing the clock on the camera does absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue... that's the whole point of this thread... it doesn't matter what camera time is set to, it records GMT+0 to videos.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

OK. Please reach out to our Support team directly and they'll be glad to dig into your specific issues. That's going to be the best way to get this addressed. Our Support team can be reached at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

[ New ]
@Jeff thanks for responding.

Since you really care, realize the problem.
When you transfer a video from the Gopro to your mobile, the time changes to GMT 0. It is a bug probably in the timestamp recording of the gopro’s file.

It existed in the gopro 4 i had from the launch day and it still exists in the gopro 5 I now own.

—->WHEN I SEND A VIDEO FROM THE GOPRO TO MY MOBILE THE VIDEO’S TIMESTAMP CHANGES TO GMT 0<—-

In earlier times, when I contacted diectly the support, they told me it is my mobile’s bug. But you know? It was iOS 7. Now it is iOS 11 and still exists. And nit only for me but for everyone.

To begin with, I suppose that you, @Jeff , or anyone there, has to confirm the existence of the bug, and then you have to inform us why it is there and how, with a firmware update, it will be solved.
Nomad

[ New ]

@jefft and the rest - just to update on the suggestion to "contact support"

Aside from that I had opened a case on this last year already, and only ever got a generic reply back that said - update, reboot and all these useless generic instructions... the only way to contact support is by phone or the chat (I used the chat) it took 45+min to get to the point of opening a support case - who really has time for this?? this is appalling customer support.

Anyway, I did recieve a confirmation email Nov 22 that "this case has been raised with our team".

Then on Nov 24 (two days later) I get this:

"Case Reminder"

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, and wanted to follow up with you on case number 04147597. As we haven’t heard back, we aren’t sure if the issue is resolved or some more information may be needed from you.

If you need more time, no worries. Once you respond, your case will update and allow a GoPro representative to finish up your case.

If we do not receive any response within the next five days, we will consider your case to be closed and the issue resolved.

BUT I NEVER GOT ANTYHING TO RESPOND TO ?! I don't even know what the case number is as I never got one told.

[I replied today (Nov 27) // immediate response: Case: 04147597 Already Closed] no more comment.

So really, I do understand that GoPro is under economic pressures, I do understand this is not a mission critical issue, but please don't  make fools out of your customers - if it's not a priority, well just say so. If it's never going to be fixed, well, be it. But stop wasteing my time trying to help improve YOUR product. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

After months of dealing with this to no avail I uninstalled the GoPro app and reinstalled and it seems to have fixed this issue!

Anonymous

[ New ]
That did not work for me. Issue remains.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem and I think it is due to the download software. With photos the photo itself carries the date taken from the camer software but with videos there is no fixed date because it is in motion so the download software assumes the time on the PC is GMT or UTC and adds the local time based on the location shown in the camera setup.

If I put my SD card in the card reader on my PC and use Explorer to drag and drop photos and videos onto the pictures folder, the dates are correct but if I use Microsoft Photos to import them, the date on the photos is correct but not the videos, in my case it's PC time plus 11 hours being DST in Eastern Australia.

My camera is a Panasonic DMC FX07 and I am running Win 10 so it is a universal problem not just GoPro.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Further investigation reveals that the date will be incorrect using Windows Photos to import videos but using Photo Gallery the times are correct so it is definitely an import software problem.
Tourist

[ New ]
Try filming in a different resolution and then import. I did that and the stamps are correct. It’s no fix by any means but makes things interesting to figuring this out.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issue but my time stamps are correct in any resolution other than 1080p
Tourist

[ New ]
A buddy of mine did a test and the videos import with the correct time stamp onto his capture app on his android. They are off 5 hours when I import into my iOS iPhone. Do we all agree that this is an iOS and not android issue?
Tourist

[ New ]

@boldpeak7566 wrote:
A buddy of mine did a test and the videos import with the correct time stamp onto his capture app on his android. They are off 5 hours when I import into my iOS iPhone. Do we all agree that this is an iOS and not android issue?

I believe it's an iOS and Mac issue, but also possibly a Windows issue as well. It's a matter of how the metadata is recorded. There are two different ways to write the timestamp that I know of, and GoPro happens to only record one of them, but it would be trivial to record it both ways. Metadata doesn't have a finite limit of how many different ways you can write it.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I got the Hero 5 Session 2 weeks ago and I was having the same issue with the date and time on my videos. I tried downloading using all the methods that are explained on the manual and my the ti e was always off. I always download my pics and videos from my phoe using Photo Gallery and zi didn't think about using it with my gopro. Well, I did it today and mporting my videos using Photo Gallery solved the problem. The dates and time are correct. So I recommend using Photo Gallery to import pictures and videos.

Nomad

[ New ]

I'll try that the next time, thanks. I also got import errors with videos in the current GoPro iOS app version, which is bizarre, as it downloads all images - but says cannot import on the video files, and when i then manually click on the video files they are imported as usual on a second pass. annoying as hell (but off topic) - time stamp on videos still hasn't been fixed. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Adding myself to the thread since i'm having the same issue. the time stamp of all my videos are off set by the GMT difference. Didn't check the photos, but suspect they would be fine. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I purchased a GoPro Hero 5 Black in Dec 2017... I am also annoyed by this problem of GoPro videos not having the correct time when they are transferred to my iPhone Wirelessly. My videos are all 5 hours behind and it messes up all the sort when mixed with GoPro photos, iOS photos and videos.

Would I recommend a GoPro to a friend? NO... this is a trivial problem that is not even being fixed. Why did I spend so much on a device that gets little to NO support.

GoPro, you need to get this FIXED once and for all.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I dont understand this at all. Gopro 6 is out and this issue is still not fixed. 

its obviously a software issue and it wouldn't take long to fix it WHY IS THERE NO RESPONSE OR FIX STILL 

Tourist

[ New ]
They don’t reply because they want to tell us that this is not a gopro issue but an ios or windows or android issue. However, take the cheapest crappy camera from ebay. Yep. You can send to any platform a CORRECT video that’s on time and perfect.

I have made 4 people of my known persons NOT to buy GoPro because of tis issue.

My GoPro? Is somewhere hidden and rarey used because of tis issue. It is a burden after each recording to fix each one video.

Can it be fixed? Of course with a software update. FIX THE CAMERA YOU LOSE CUSTOMERS AND YOU WILL LOSE MORE EACH DAY.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi 

I am having similar issues but am 10 years out!!

The date modified for the video when imported is the correct date but the date created is showing incorrectly and this date then translates into the higher level folders.

Go Pro files time.PNG
Anonymous

[ New ]
I have the same problem. When I transfer my videos to my Pixel 2 phone using the GoPro app, the timestamps of the videos are 6 hours before the actual time the video was taken.
Tourist

[ New ]

I figured out how to get the correct time: https://youtu.be/bYiV6YeTT9o

How to Get Set the Correct Time on Your GoPro and other CamerasI record video on 3 different cameras and the time on all but my iPhone comes out incorrectly ...
Anonymous

[ New ]
More of a hack then a fix. It would be extremely annoying having to switch the time all the time. Especially if your taking videos with both the phone and GoPro. Thanks for the advice, it’s interesting that your other camera has the same issue. I’m starting to think it’s a larger issue then just gopros and iPhone. I see android has the same problem with the time.
Tourist

[ New ]

So I'm batting .100 now with importing videos shot on gopro and imported into iphone via gopro app.  I dont see how this is possible with maybe some very far fetched idea.  Daylight Saving Time.  Could that have fixed the bug with ios.  You all should try and see if you get crazy hour import misaligments still.  

Tourist

[ New ]

nevermind.  It's definetly tied to a time frame.  short 3 4 second videos import no prob.  4 minunte ones import 4 hours off. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I also have date stamp problem. It’s it not likely to be iMovie, unless GoPro has an incompatibilty problem with Apple software. I have two Session cameras and have tried reformatting SD in both, but both cameras give wrong time and date, and are hours and months apart from each other. GoPro needs to fix this glitch.
Tourist

[ New ]
They just IGNORE us. I have totaly stopped using my gopro5 and I really look forward to selling it. Since EVERY and EVERY time I record a video it is out of my GMT. And this really messes up my whole photo library. Gopro thanks. But no thanks.
Anonymous

[ New ]
This is a frustrating issue because GoPro app isn’t really very good. Its too slow and battery hungry.
Nomad

[ New ]

Wow, can't believe this issue has been going on for YEARS and not resolved. I have a Hero 5 Black, Hero 5 Session and a Hero 6 Black. All 3 cameras have the import time problem. They're all 4 hours off. I've tried using quick to import and also just plugging the sd card into my pc and copying them over. All have the same 4 hour error. I am running a windows 10 PC. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @tj311

Does your camera reflect the correct time information? Would you be able to tell if the created time information on the properties/details of the video file correspond to the time when the file/s were saved/imported to the computer? If you can also check, see how the time difference is when you use the GoPro app on a mobile device. Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Honeslty it's quite pathetic of GoPro that this problem is still not fixed. Unbeilievable!

At first I thought it was just me, but obviously this issue exists for a lot of other users as well, please fix!

Marius: Camera reflects correct time. When SD card viewed on computer, all dates and time are correct too. THE ISSUE ARISES WHEN THE VIDEOS ARE BEING IMPORTED ONTO IPHONE VIA THE GORPO APP THE THE TIME IS COMPLETELY OFF.

Anonymous

[ New ]
This isn’t correct either. If the on-off button is used to start/stop video recording, the GoPro can’t keep time correctly. However, if one doesn’t use on-off button to start/stop recording, battery life is unacceptably short. I take out SD card and save data to portable card reader hard drive. To sink video from two cameras mounted front/back of my bicycle, I use visual cues to cut and arrange clips.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Marius,

I know you guys must have some really smart techs at GoPro. The fact that no one there seems to understand the issue is crazy. You also have a lot of very intelligent users who are getting more and more frustrated with your product. As with most of them I am slowly using my GoPro less and less because syncing the files with other video files I'm shooting is a pain in the ass.

Eventually we will stop using the GoPro cameras and not buy new ones when they come out. Exactly why I haven't bought a new GoPro yet. I've been waiting to see if this gets resolved. 

Hell, let me give it a shot, so I can be frustrated with everyone else.

If you look at the time and date of the files before they are imported...while they are still in the camera...they are correct.

As soon as you cut them from the camera and paste them onto a Mac, PC or from what I'm seeing, an iPhone....the date is good, but the time is off by the GMT zone you are in. In my case, they are off by 7 hours because I am in the -7 GMT.

When I import videos from my Samsung S7, it doesn't happen, so obviously it's not a problem with my PC or my Samsung S7. But my GoPro Hero4 Session files change the time upon import.

This is a GoPro issue.

Awaiting a suggestion or two....

Paul

Tourist

[ New ]

Hero 6 Black has the same problem.  Time is correct on the camera (as you would expect it to be with GPS), but when I pull it into GoPro Quik, it is shifted 5 hours forwad on the instrament gages.

Time zone is set correctly (and automatically on my Mac, using the current OS, Quik, and Firmware.

Pretty **bleep** anoying