Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Session 5 freezing, heating up, "connection lost" while charging

[ New ]

I always charge my Session with the same Apple 1amp wall wort. At home it works perfect. Also, charging in my car with a 12volt adapter, works fine. I do a lot of horse camping, when I charge it in my friend's horse trailer, that has an RV Surge Protector in line my Session 5 charges for about 30 minutes, it starts to get hot, then the display turns on and about 1 minute later the display reads "connection lost". I disconnect it, and have tried holding the button for several minutes. Nothing, it will not turn off, until the battery dies. It will connect to my iPad and I can see through the camera but, I can not start recording or turn it off in the app. Another curious thing is the app shows the battery's status as charging even though it is unplugged.

Any ideas!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Session 5 freezing, heating up, "connection lost" while charging

[ New ]

Hello @trigger427

This is an odd behavior for the camera. How is the camera charged When in the horse trailer? Do you use the same adapter/charger that you typically use? The surge protector maybe sending a different signal to the camera, that is, other than electrical signal, and might be detecting the camera as a USB device like how a computer does. See if manually updating the camera will help clear the issues. Let us know how it will work out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Session 5 freezing, heating up, "connection lost" while charging

[ New ]

Hello @trigger427

This is an odd behavior for the camera. How is the camera charged When in the horse trailer? Do you use the same adapter/charger that you typically use? The surge protector maybe sending a different signal to the camera, that is, other than electrical signal, and might be detecting the camera as a USB device like how a computer does. See if manually updating the camera will help clear the issues. Let us know how it will work out. 

Thanks, 
Marius