Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Seriously disappointed with the Hero 9 overheating

[ New ]

I'm seriously disappointed with the Hero 9 overheating problems.  I bought a Hero 9 early enough to have it for my wedding 10/3 with hopes of livestream my wedding nuptuals, only to be let down when it overheated and shut down 20 minutes in. That's one moment that I'll never recover!!!  

While this camera is outstanding in all it can do, it has a serious design flaw when it comes to its thermal sinking capability.  As an engineer who's all too familiar with high tech electronics and the heat they can produce, I would have never let something like this leave the factory without thorough testing to assure the camera was capable of performing in all modes and conditions.  The product shouldn't have a disclaimer that some resolutions, features and modes may not work if not moving with forced air cooling.  Sometimes you need the camera to be stationary while capturing the action.  

GoPro, you may need to develop a Mod with a bottom sink plate and external cooling fins!

GoPro

Re: Seriously disappointed with the Hero 9 overheating

[ New ]

Hi @scooby25085

Sorry for any trouble caused.

What SD card are you using? How was the camera updated?

If it was not done manually, we recommend updating it through the instruction on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Once done, reset the camera. Go to Preferences> Reset> Factory Reset

Do some test recordings.

Let us know how it goes. 

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I had followed all GoPro’s recommendations. Before initial use I updated the camera using the GoPro app as instructed. I am also using the SD card sent with the camera. I wasn’t even recording at 4K. Camera was set to the default 2.7k/60/SV setting. This thing just runs way too hot.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @scooby25085

Have you tried using a different resolution?

Check out Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

If I wanted to shoot in a lower resolution I probably didn't need to upgrade from my Hero 5.  I'm not sure that's what you want to tell perspective buyers.  Buyer's beware, if you want to shoot at anything higher than 1080 you may experience overheating and inadvertent shutdown.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm with you @scooby25085, extremly dissapointed and frustrated with the overheating issues.  Just a heads up, someone will soon post in response that you bought an action camera and if you want to film from a stationary setting you should buy a camcorder.

I ran some tests at different settings, the only way I was able to get more than 30 minutes of continuous recording was to record at 1080p/120fps.  Still didn't outlast the battery but it made about 1:15 before shutting off.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just ran into the same problem with a brand new Hero 9 Black.  Could not film for more than about 35min at 4k/60fps without it overheating and shutting down.

Was using a brand new SanDisk Extreme 128GB U3 card, in a room air conditioned to 70F, and using the official GoPro head strap...with the camera tilted down so that no part of the camera was even remotely obstructed.  Repeated the test separately after recharging it, with the camera entirely unmounted from anything.  No excuse for this ridiculous overheating when running it at factory specifications.

NOT SUITED TO PURPOSE, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE SPECIFICATIONS LISTED.

It's going back to Amazon tomorrow.  Already have the return labels printed.

The OP is correct; this camera is horribly designed.  This was allegedly an 'upgrade' from my Hero 5.  I'm done with GoPro.  Pity, as I was really enjoying it, and had a use in mind for it...which it failed to serve on its maiden run. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Ok.

What is happening? I cannot believe i threw away 500€ for this plastic box that does nothing! A lot of issues with media mod and freezing...and now with overheating too!

I have set camera to 1080p 25fps, NOT recording. Hdmi out to my mixer and camera is charging. So it only sends video through hdmi out. Display is off and recording is off too.

Camera overheats in about 30mins and shuts down.

I do not reccommend to buy it! Stay away.
Sightseer

[ New ]
I tried using it under water in the case, overheated
Air con room time lapse, overheated.
What is happening to these cameras?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you have gone through a manual update and it's still the same, please let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Has anyone yet found a solution to to this issue?? my Go Pro arrived yesterday and I have the same issue overheating and the battery draining within 40 mins.
Hiker

[ New ]
What are you trying to record? I ended up buying an external battery and that allows me record at whatever speed/setting I want for as long as the memory card will hold.
Tourist

[ New ]
I recording anything I was just playing around with the settings and doing the set up
GoPro

[ New ]

@keaned1806, just to verify, what's the microSD card brand and capacity? Have you also been able to update your GoPro?

Also, does the issue occur on all video resolutions and modes? When using 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm, but not too hot, and use more power when using these modes. Lack of airflow around the camera and using the camera with the GoPro App can also increase camera temperature and power consumption, and decrease camera recording time.

Tourist

[ New ]
It’s San Disk extreme 32 gb
It updated yes.
GoPro

[ New ]

@keaned1806, if the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi guys... super disappointed in the GoPro 9s. I fish out on the ocean for my YouTube channel and these all overheat! On the water, I have a lot of wind, so I opted for the wind slayers to cut the wind. (THESE DO NOT WORK) they make the overheating worse! I adjusted the settings to where the front and back screens turn off after 1 minute. With the wind-slayers, no settings work because the wind-slayers make them heat up even faster! I set everything at 4K Linear. Now I'm doing a test without the wind-slayers. Screens all off. 4K 30FPS has recorded 4.5 hours so far. I use an external power bank, so I don't have to change batteries in 3 GoPro9s out on the water. I will check 4K Linear 60FPS next. I hope it works! The problem is I normally fish for 8 hours, so we'll see what happens?

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have to agree with this.  

GoPro is more of a NoPro.  When you marketed this device as being webcam capable I expected it to be able to run for longer periods of time.  

I've tried:

with the battery

without the battery

with the SD

without the SD

and had the same issues of it overheating and becoming useless within 30 minutes.  

It's really a shame to see such potential in a device and have it land so short.  Epic quality and construction, but pretty miserable execution.

Sightseer

[ New ]
What an awful response. Have you tried not falsely advertising a product? Have you tried taking your customers seriously instead of giving a reply not applicable to the situation? The box doesn't say anything about recording limitations in regards to resolution and temperature. MINE OVERHEATS AT 1080P with IS off, GPS off, screen brightness low etc.... You should feel bad for scamming people.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same exact setup (GoPro 9 - Media Kit - Fixed location, HDMI Out with USB power) with the same exact problems - Overheats in 30min. 

Have tried everything!!! Multiple cards, battery, PUTTING A FAN ON IT!!!!, EVERYTHING.

It is really disappointing that GoPro feels it is ok to produce product that does not operate as designed.

I will NEVER buy another GoPro product.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lithegorge36530

Do you observe the same no matter what resolution/setting is used?

Were you able to re-flash the software?

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Don't waste your time with GoPro support.  As everyone here has already stated, nothing support can offer will fix the problem.  I recently tried support to see if anything had changed as I encounter this problem months ago but was disappointed to find out that this issue still not been resolved. Support then offered a replacement, I thought sure but felt it wasn't going to help, only then to be met with a demand to show proof of sale for a product that doesn't work as advertised.  Needless to say I find this whole experience a reflection on how GoPro operates as a company and will not recommend any GoPro products.