Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Serious Hero 8 Black overheating issue. I think I'll sell it.

[ Edited ]

I make promo videos for local bands and I mainly use a GoPro on stage as a "drummer cam".  This means that the camera has to be set up in advance, externally powered, and will sit idle until the show starts. I use the Smart Remote to start and stop recording because obviously, I can't run up on stage in the middle of a show.

Last night, I used my Hero 8 for the first time in this role. It failed miserably. After sitting powered up and idle for an hour, I hit the record button on the remote. The Hero 8 overheated and shut down 35 secords into the first song. It wouldn't respond to the remote after that.

In comparison, I had been using my old Hero 2 for this job. It could sit idling endlessly and would record for 45 minutes before over heating (which I avoided by only using it for certain songs, giving it a rest in betwwen).

FAIL!  I'm seriously considering selling the Hero 8 and buying a competitor's product. This is simply a no-go for me.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Serious Hero 8 Black overheating issue. I think I'll sell it.

You should remove the battery if the camera is going to be externally powered.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Can you replicate the scene and give another try, see if the card was not the cause, something has caused the camera to heat up. so was it near any other  electronics, lights that generate heat?  Was the  back light brightness of hte camera turned down to the minimal.  Just some thoughts.

Removing the battery can eleminate the heat, a fan on the camera can help. and yes another camera company could work, if that is the importance  Just remember that other camera may not be a true stereo camera?

Highlighted
Hiker

To danielr15:
I've tested it with and without the battery with the same recult. The battery is not what is getting hot, nor what is making the camera hot.

When the camera was in use on the stage, the battery was removed only to guard against it falling out while the USB-C connector was in use.

The battery is irrelevant in this case anyway. When the Hero 8 is powered up from external power, the battery is electronically disconnected. The camera runs on the external power and the battery is not in a charging or discharging state. Once the camera is powered down, the battery enters a charging state (unless it's already fully charged).

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]
Well, since you didn't have the battery in, then it's a moot point. I wasn't saying it should be out due to the battery causing heat, but rather just as a way to allow the heat generated by the camera to escape. With the door off and the battery removed more heat should be able to escape.
Highlighted
Hiker

To fishycomics:
I've had the same issue (although to a lesser extent) with my Hero 2. And that was replicated dozens of times in normal useage on stage. At least the Hero 2 takes longer to overheat, but unlike the Hero 8, it would unfortunately corrupt the last video file on the card when the camera would overheat and lock up. Removing the power and the battery was the only way to shut it down.

The memory card is irrelevant in this case. In either camera, only GoPro approved SD cards are used.

Thee are no user backlight adjustments on either the Hero 8 or Hero 2.

Actually, removing the battery would make the problem worse. It isn't the battery that is overheating, but it's presence will help absorb heat from the camera.

Placing a fan on the camera while on stage is impractical and would often be impossible. Often, the camera is positioned in tight places (where a normal camera wouldn't fit). Sometimes, I use a clamp mount to attach it to vertical lighting trusses in a way where the audience can't see it.

True stereo isn't important in this application. The GoPro's sound track is only used to sync the video to the other video tracks in post I shoot with up to seven cameras at once, most with live operators except for the GoPros. Using the sound tracks from each camera is the easiest way to sync the video tracks.

Aside from that, using the audio tracks from any of the cameras as the main audio track is seldom a good idea. Indoors, the camera mics are overwhelmed with bad acoustics (reverb, echo, distortion) from the hard walls, ceiling and floor. And sometimes, crowd noise can be extreme. Outdoors, camera mics will pick up wind noise and even with a proper windscreen, air movement will cause subtle phase and volume shifts in the sound.

I normally record a digital audio track from the board (sometimes a simple stereo feed from the mains or I can do multi-track), then mix in about 10% of camera audio to preserve the live ambience and crowd noise. You can hear an example of this in "Sound mix sample video" that I posted on YT in 2014: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGb1Tv_H1_w

A video demonstrating the differences between camera sound, sound from a board-feed, multi-track sound recorded on stage and some mixes between them.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

To danielr15:
I know that you didn't say that the battery was causing the heat... I was just covering all bases in case someone else might make the suggestion.
When the Hero 8 overheated, the battery and door were removed.

As an aside....
I made some detailed tests yesterday with the Hero 8 and the Hero 2. I set both of them on a tripod and measured their temperatures. this was in my living room with an ambient temp of 70°F (21°C).
• After powered up and idling, the Heo 8 reached 100°F (37.7°C) in 20 minutes. The Hero 2 reached 94°F (34.4°C).
• The Hero 2 was in a skeleton case, the Hero 8 was "naked".
• The test was repeated with and without external power applied. No difference was measured.
• After reaching the previously mentioned idle temperatures, I place both camers into video record mode (1080/30) and recorded 30 continuous minutes of video.
• The Hero 8's hotspot (located just to the right and center of the lens) reached 120°F (48.8°C). The Hero 2's hotspot (left side of camera, above the SD card slot) reached 114°F (45.5°C).
• Another 30 minute record session was started. The Hero 2 completed the 30 minutes, while the Hero 8 shut down after 20 minutes. The Hero 8 would not respond to the Smart Remote or the app and would not start by pressing the mode button. Power had to be disconnected then reconnected for the camera to operate.