Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Segmented file issue

[ New ]

Hi,

Here is my workflow issue with GoPro video files. I shoot with a Sony camcorder main camera, a Hero 7 black as the second camera and occasionally a Hero 6 as a third camera. I start and stop all cameras at the same time. When I ingest the video files, the main camera provides on long file and the Hero breaks them into smaller segments. I use Adobe Premiere Pro to synchronize the file using the audio. This provides an easy to edit workflow that I can just click on the view I want to show up in the final output. This allows me to have the wide view from the main camera and then close up angles with the Hero footage. The problem is the time to link up all of the Hero segments to create a continuous video file that Premier can synchronize. I have a workaround that works, but takes a lot of time and are not always successful. I am guessing the file segmentation is something that I am stuck with, but is there a way to tie them back together easily so that I can use the auto sync feature of Premier? This is an issue caused by the segmenting of Hero video files. When I use any other camera as my second camera, I have no issue. I don't understand why GoPro has to break up the files, but it seems that when importing there should be an easy automated way to stitch them back together. 

Thank You for your help.

Ron Paulk

crpaulk@msn.com

GoPro

Re: Segmented file issue

[ New ]

Hi @ronp7363

For reference, you may check this article: GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information

Thank you for your suggestion about stitching chaptered files. I'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I understand the chaptering, what I don't understand is the most efficient way to stitch them together. I read the article you linked, but it doesn't answer the "How" question. Do I have to continually do this manually? In a day-long shoot with stops and starts, the chaptering is a long list of numbers and can be very laborious to get them aligned and stitched. Personally, I think it is a nonsense choice to break them up in case a file is lost or corrupted. If I lose a part, I might as well lose it all. My Canon and Sony camcorders do not break up the files and they are professional rigs. It would be nice if the files matched up from the start. Any workflow suggestions simplify the process?

Attached is a screenshot from one shoot after I have renamed the GoPro files to get them in order and note this is a fairly simple one that adds at least an hour to post just to organize and stick GoPro footage.

Thanks,

Ron

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.45.21 PM.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Hmmmm! No answer from GoPro?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @ronp7363

At this time, the only way for the whole video to play continuously (as one file) is to  manually stitch the parts together through an editing software. This file naming convention might help facilitate grouping files together. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

It would be nice if GP would release a firmware update and allow a continuous recording option in the pro features. This whole chaptering set up is verrrrrrrrrry time-consuming. I don't use FAT32 so I have no need to break the files into smaller "chapters." All of my other cameras record video in one continuous file until I stop and start the recording. Only GoPro uses this chaptering and thus does not matchup up with the other video file systems on the market. No problem if I am using the GP solo, but the minute I want to use it as a POV and sync up with other footage, it becomes a time sucking problem.