Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Sandisk Ultra 128GB on HERO 6?

Just for clarification, no one is saying you can't use cards not on the list.  I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but to refer to it as BS is wrong.  The list isn't a restriction to the only cards that will work with GoPro cameras.  The list just gives cards that have been tested by GoPro and are known to work.  It's not an end all - be all list of the only cards you can use.  These cards are recommended for a few reasons.

1. They are known to work.
    1. Not all cards/manufacturers perform at high levels or are reliable.  If you're fine with the occasional corrupted file or camera freeze, by all means, try other cards. I'm not saying that all other cards will cause issues, but you at least know that you are less likely to encounter an issue if you use a tested card.
  2. It helps with trouble shooting.
    1. A vast majority of issues reported are SD card related.  By utilizing a tested card that is known to work, the card can be ruled out and trouble shooting and determining an issue with the camera is easier and speeds the process of issuing a return/exchange if needed.
  3. It reduces the number of complaints/reported issues.
    1. SD cards do matter and are an important aspect of the camera's performance.  The amount of people who have reported an issue that was simply fixed by utilizing a recommended or high quality card is innumerable.  This isn't just with GoPro, but can also be found on a myriad of tech forums dealing with devices that require high data transfer.
  4. It can end up saving people money
    1. Purchasing a cheaper brand or model only to find out that it gives you issues only results in you having to spend more money on a better performing card.  There is a reason why some cards are so cheap yet people are willing to pay a little more for a higher quality/performance card.  It's not just marketing, it's history.  Cheaper, lower performance cards, do result in more issues.
  5. Some moments are priceless and not worth the risk
    1. Your cheap card might work, but at the moment when you need it to perform might be the moment it fails.  GoPro only puts the following limits on what SD cards will work with Hero6, so if you have a cheaper option you want to try, by all means try it.  However, for important moments, the recommended list is there to give you more assurance.
      1. SD card Requirements for use in HERO6 Black 
        1. microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC 
        2. Class 10 or UHS-I rating 
        3. Capacity up to 256GB

The amount of people who have had issues by utilizing cards not on the list prompted the guys at reddit.com/r/gopro to create a bot whereby if you just write the words SD card the following reply auto generates,

Bad SD Cards are an extremely common problem for GoPro cameras. You should only use a card approved for your camera from this list. Failing to get an approved card or accidentally buying a knock-off/counterfeit card can result in slowdowns, stopped recordings, low quality, glitching video, corrupted files, total data loss, camera freezes, and boot issues. If you are specifically using a SanDisk Ultra, please be aware that this card has been known to VERY commonly cause issues and should be avoided at all costs. You can read more on that in this thread. You can avoid this automatic response in the future by using alternative wording (such as "memory card"), or you can send a message to the moderators requesting to be white-listed.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Reddit.com/r/GoPro is not moderated by GoPro but is just a site where people go to ask questions and share photos/videos.  They got so tired of the SD card issue they made a bot to answer the question for them.  SD cards do matter.

Now, when it comes to the SanDisk Ultra and the Evo.  The older SanDisk Ultra that only had the Class10 printed on it was horrible. Most of the issues and complaints seem to be generated by these cards.  Not to mention that around the time the Hero3 came out it was discovered that these Ultras were not performing up to spec as they were being advertised. As far as the Evo goes, it's a good card, but the older versions were just slow.  The new Evo Plus (not Evo+) has good specs and seems to perform very well.  I haven't heard of any complaints about performance issues with that card.

Sometimes manufacturers, even reputable brands like SanDisk, put out batches of cards that are riddled with issues and that turns people away from the brand/make/model all together.  Two years ago SanDisk came out with an Extreme card that had writing issues.  This was resulting in corrupt files, freezing, and battery drains.  I had one of these cards.  SanDisk was called and admitted that they had some issues and would replace the card. I knew it was the card because if I switched over to a Lexar 1000X or Samsung Pro my issues would go away.  If I put the SanDisk Extreme in the camera the issues would return, sometimes it would seem ok but inevitably the issues would return.  No amount of formatting would fix it.  Since permanently switching to a Samsung Pro in that camera, I have not had one issue in over 1 1/2 years.  For this reason, I never recommended the SanDisk Exteme, even though it was on the list.  Now that the Extreme v30 is out I've been testing them and they seem to work great. I've had no issues with my Hero5, Hero6 or Fusion using these cards. 

My final comment on SD cards, really a question I guess, is why do so many people want to put 128GB and 256GB cards in their GoPro cameras?  I get it if you are doing long continuous recording with an external power source, but since 64GB already outlast the battery of the GoPro, why do you need twice the amount of storage?  You shouldn't be storing your photos/videos on the cards for any length of time and it's always best practice to format the card before starting a shoot, so why spend more for what you don't need?  If you are on an extended trip, it's much safer to use a couple 64GB cards than just one 128GB card.  If something were to happen to that one card, everything is lost.  By using multiple cards you can at least save some of your captured moments if one of your cards is damaged. If you want to spend more money, instead of purchasing the cheaper 128GB card, just get a higher quality 64GB card off of the SD cards for consideration list.

Highlighted
Tourist

That's great! Happy to hear this.
I'll still only use the recommended SD card when recording from Karma Drone, just in case any glitches affect flying. That way the card, since tested by GoPro, will be ruled out in troubleshooting.

Excited to try the 128GB EVO SELECT U3 for Night Lapse shooting on external battery source.
Highlighted
Tourist

8:26 AM
That's great! Happy to hear this.
I'll still only use the recommended SD card when recording from Karma Drone, just in case any glitches affect flying. That way the card, since tested by GoPro, will be ruled out in troubleshooting.

Excited to try the 128GB EVO SELECT U3 for Night Lapse shooting on external battery source.
Highlighted
Tourist

lol I'm a newbie at posting on threads too.
Highlighted
Explorer

Not to side track this thread, but be sure to read this FAQ before flying your drone
https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/Karma-First-Flight-Tips

You can also read this post in its entirety to get other helpful tips https://community.gopro.com/t5/Karma/PLEASE-READ-if-you-plan-to-fly/m-p/59970#M8420
Highlighted
Hiker

I have a 256gb samsung evo select I will be trying out tomorrow was curious if anybody has tested the 256 GB either the samsung pro+ or the Samsung evo Select
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @antoniocm1983

The highest SD card capacity that our team was able to test is 128GB based on this list of recommended SD cards.  Let us know how it goes with the 256Gb card that you have. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

I will let you know when I get it tomorrow