Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

*SIGH* Hero 9 and webcam

[ New ]

Updated the desktop softrware (mac). 

Connected Hero 9. Hero 9 knows it's connected to USB. 

Desktop does not register a camera is connected. 

Switched from MTP to GoPro connect. Opened, closed, retsarted app, computer, camera. 

Still no luck. 

Staring right at the camera with the "USB Connected" message on the screen. 

GoPro Quick auto opens when camera is plugged in. Reads SD contents. 

Nope, not on max lens mode.

W.T.F.?

GoPro

Re: *SIGH* Hero 9 and webcam

[ New ]

Hello @jefb4

We'd like to check on this further.

Is the issue on the webcam application only happening if the Max Lens Mod is attached to the camera?

Would you be able to share a screenshot of your setup?

Can you also help us with the following information: SD card, camera version, Mac OS version, webcam app version

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Happens at all times. Webcam app does not see the camera. Camera knows it's plugged in. Lens mod not on. Max lens mode turned off (tried every configuration therein as well)

SD card is right now the one that came with the camera. I normally use the 128gb version of the same. Makes no difference for this function.

Mac OS is 10.13. Hero 8 worked fine. Camera has the latest update (1.22), webcam app is whatever the most recent available is. Did a complete uninstall and reinstall to see if it rectified. It did not. 

The hero 9 has the potential to be a great camera, but like a lot of people I lost more than I gained with the "upgrade". I'm not going to whine and throw a tantrum and threaten to return the device but it is a total drag to have spent more money for a fraction of the features I had with the now outdated model. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @jefb4. The most recent version of the webcam utility for Mac works with Mac OS 10.14 or newer. See if updating your Mac OS will help. We tested using a Mac on Big Sur and we are able to use the HERO9 Black as a webcam. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Sweet. My imac is a little older and can't run 10.14. Another thing I get screwed out of being able to use and now there's no way roll back to the previous version. Awesome.