Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

SD card

[ New ]

Hello, after a few days of using GoPro8 with an older SD card i started to get a messege that I needed to format my SD card. So I bought Sandisk extreme microsdxc 128Gb 160/90 MB/s. This time GoPro wants to format my card everytime I launch my camera. Basicly I can only make 1 video, than have to extract it via cable, than format SD card and shoot another video.

Resetting camera settings didnt help.

Maybe there is a way I can still fix this at home?

GoPro

Re: SD card

[ New ]

Hello, @ivanm404. Have you already formatted your SD card on the camera? See if doing this still gets you the message of needing to format the card. It is odd for the camera to be asking you to format the card every time. 

To isolate the issue further, perform a manual firmware update for the camera to clear any possible error with the current installation. The steps under Manual Update here will walk you through the process. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

thank you for the reply. Sadly it didn't work. First of all, I downloaded the "Update" file as instructed and turned on my camera, but it doesn't update. So I tried resetting my camera settings again and now SD card sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Other SD cards don't work at all, for some reason.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @ivanm404. Have you been able to format the SD card prior to saving the UPDATE folder in it? Make sure that only the extracted UPDATE folder from the downloaded UPDATE.zip folder is on the SD card. If you have DCIM, MISC or other files there, the update files will not be detected by the camera.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

Yes, that is exactly how I did it. First format (exFAT), then copy extracted UPDATE folder to SD card. I even tried to leave only extracted files from the UPDATE folder, without folder itself, still camera does not recognise them.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello again,

in addition, I've found out one more thing. If the camera allows me to capture the video, it will not be possible to retrieve the video through GoPro cable link (GoPro - PC). GoPro and PC will say that SD card is empty. But if I put the same "empty" SD card directly into PC, than I can retrieve the video. Usually a little bit damaged on the end of the video.

Nomad

[ New ]

1:  Format the SD card in your PC, do a full format (it may take some time)

2:  Insert the SD card into your camera and do a format in the camera (this will set up the card to use the exact file structure and block size that the camera requires).

Then follow the instuctions in this video to perform a manual update of your camera's firmware

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

So I did this exactly as recomended. Formated SDcard "the long way" took nearly an hour. Then put SDcard into camera, it required to format, so I did, so far so good. Now is the problem, after GoPro formated my card, my PC no longer recognises the card, it simply doesn't see the card. So I can't upload the UPDATE file.

Tourist

[ New ]

So I managed to trick PC into seeing SDcard, I put UPDATE folder in and GoPro did update, but problem still persists. Everytime I launch GoPro it requests format of a card.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ivanm404, we appreciate you going through the suggested steps. By any chance, do you have a secondary SD card that you can test the GoPro camera with?

If you still experience the same issue using the other SD card, please contact our Support Team so they can assist you with the next steps. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives. When you get a hold of them, let them know about the troubleshooting steps already taken for any information that they may need.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, I have another SDcards, but they are not in the GoPro supported list, though I tried them and they have the same issue. Currently due to Covid-19 outbrake I am unable to purchase another supported SDcard in my hometown.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ivanm404, please contact our Support Team so they can assist you further on the next steps.

Nomad

[ New ]

It sounds like your old SD card is on it's way out and will probably need to be replaced.  Cards only have a finite amount of life due to the amount of read/writes being performed.  

Tourist

[ New ]

The thing is it's a brand new card. I bought it specially for GoPro 8.

Nomad

[ New ]

What's the brand and model of the SD card, also did you format the card in the camera before using it.  Do you have another SD card you can try in case you have received a faulty SD card?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

So I bought new SD card and now GoPro works normal. So it was 2 bad SD cards from sandsic in a row, will never buy from this brand ever again. Toshiba works fine.

We can close the case.

Thanks to you all for your help.